Broken Fibula

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mziegler

mziegler
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

Hey boys.

Broke my fibula last night at hockey - my toe picked in the ice and I twisted and fell back over it after taking a hit (similar to Michael Roszival's injury in the playoffs a couple years ago.)

I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar injury, and what the timeline/ recovery process was, and how quickly you were able to get back on the ice. 

Initial diagnosis is 6 weeks, but thats when my cast comes off, wondering how long it'll take after that to get back on the ice. My league playoffs start March 25th, so was wondering if that's even a possibility. 

Thanks

#2 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

The fibula is a very weak bone (compared to say the tibia), and its not uncommon to break it in a seemingly minor fall. It basically acts as a splint or support for the shin bone. Sometimes guys will break it and still be able to bear weight on the leg. Recovery is generally quick with a good prognosis

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

#3 JC116_MTL

JC116_MTL
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:55 PM

Damn Mikey. That blows. I don't know too much about the injury but regardless of the time it takes I hope it all heals up well!  :up:

"You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you absolutely have been found wanting. Welcome to the new world. God save you, if it is right that he should do so."

#4 mziegler

mziegler
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

Damn Mikey. That blows. I don't know too much about the injury but regardless of the time it takes I hope it all heals up well!  :up:

Thanks Jordan!! 

Was told I need surgery today, so looking like 3-4 months before I can even put a skate back on. Have some ligament damage, so unlikely I can even get the boot on until then. 

Gonna be a long off-season.

#5 pjanniche

pjanniche

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

A real bummer man. I broke mine while playing last year by twisting on it and had to get surgery so i was out for awhile as well. Plus therapy was a killer so i missed my whole season. Definitely take therapy seriously as you will pretty much lose all muscle in your one leg. Do the stretching as mine still hurts and has a smaller range of motion than my other foot. 

Was very shaky getting back on the ice after i was cleared and still doesn't feel the same. Also have a metal plate sticking out a little from the surgery lol.

Don't go back on the ice too soon just because you want to play really bad either. 

Your foot and leg will be swollen too if it was like mine so a skate wont even fit for awhile. 

Hope this helped a little and this was just some stuff i went through. Don't hesitate to ask me anything and i hope the surgery goes well!!

#6 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:06 AM

Thanks Jordan!! 

Was told I need surgery today, so looking like 3-4 months before I can even put a skate back on. Have some ligament damage, so unlikely I can even get the boot on until then. 

Gonna be a long off-season.

Damn. Hope you can find a hobby or project to keep your mind occupied while your body is busy healing.

Get well, soon bud.

#7 Sediton

Sediton
  • LocationBoston

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:32 AM

Hey boys.

Broke my fibula last night at hockey - my toe picked in the ice and I twisted and fell back over it after taking a hit (similar to Michael Roszival's injury in the playoffs a couple years ago.)

I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar injury, and what the timeline/ recovery process was, and how quickly you were able to get back on the ice.

Initial diagnosis is 6 weeks, but thats when my cast comes off, wondering how long it'll take after that to get back on the ice. My league playoffs start March 25th, so was wondering if that's even a possibility.

Thanks

Bumping an old thread. How did you make out with recovery? I just broke mine (with ligament damage) on a half-pipe (skateboarding) two days ago. Surgery was today. I know it’s going to be awhile...I’m just hoping there isn’t too much permanent damage to keep me off the ice (or the skateboard).

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Jean-Paul Sartre

#8 Sediton

Sediton
  • LocationBoston

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:32 AM

Hey boys.

Thanks

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. Can't seem to figure out how to delete the duplicate.

Bumping an old thread. How did you make out with recovery? I just broke mine (with ligament damage) on a half-pipe (skateboarding) two days ago. Surgery was today. I know it’s going to be awhile...I’m just hoping there isn’t too much permanent damage to keep me off the ice (or the skateboard).

#9 mziegler

mziegler
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:23 AM

Hey man... sorry to hear about that. Recovery could not have gone any better. Timeline was something like 2 weeks in a cast and 4 weeks in a boot (post surgery). Full weight baring for the final 2.5ish weeks in the boot (not necessarily normal, doctor was kind of surprised i was able to put weight on it, but there was no pain so she let me do it). I was back on the ice in about 8 weeks (just skating), then played my first game probably 10 weeks or so from the injury.

The one thing i cant stress enough is physio. Find the right therapist and do absolutely everything they tell you to do. If you don't, you'll most likely fuck yourself out of regaining normal ROM in your ankle (if that's where your fib is broken). Do the physio, it is so beyond worth it. It is THE reason i was able to get back on the ice so quickly.

I had (at least it sounds like) a similar injury to you. Busted fib (spiral fracture) at my ankle. I also tore a bunch of shit in my foot. Believe it or not, i feel like breaking the bone actually gave me a huge advantage in recovery. I was stuck in the cast so couldnt use or put any stress on the ligaments and they are essentially back to 100% now. I feel like if i wasnt in the cast i wouldve pushed myself and played with the injury and id probably still be in pain today.

Im back to about 99% today id say. Ankle is still a little stiff, but thats the nature of the injury. I also have a plate and screws so itll never be back to 100% i guess. 

Biggest thing for me was mentally. It's really tough. It can get very depressing being stuck in the house especially when you cant do anything yourself. Just gotta stay positive and realize how short 6 weeks really is.

I also HIGHLY suggest grabbing one of these: https://www.amazon.c...h/dp/B00092RB06 ... it made everything a lot better.

If you have questions feel free to PM me, always happy to help.

#10 Sediton

Sediton
  • LocationBoston

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

^ All things considered, that is both great and encouraging news. Thank you for the info. Dying to get back on the ice again, or even get to weight-bearing so I can do dry-land stick handling / shooting stuff. Again, thanks for all the info. Much appreciated!

#11 mziegler

mziegler
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

My pleasure man. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. 

#12 WindyCity

WindyCity
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:08 PM

I broke my tibia and fibula on the ice in January. Unfortunately my fibula broke closer to my knee which makes the recovery (and the swelling) last much longer.  I had screws put in the tibia and a plate on the fibula (called ORIF).  I did not have ligament damage so that was good.  I'm 4 months out from surgery and still don't have full rom yet.  I'm up to 95% on the zero gravity treadmill so I'm getting there but its very frustrating.  

#13 Sediton

Sediton
  • LocationBoston

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:18 PM

^ Ugh. Sorry to hear that. What happened on ice that caused the break? Hope that you get back out there soon.

#14 WindyCity

WindyCity
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:33 PM

I hit the boards and started to lose my balance so I put my foot underneath me to regain my balance and that's the worst thing I could've done.

#15 Sediton

Sediton
  • LocationBoston

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:46 AM

^ Yup. That is more or less the same way I did mine, but on a skateboard (1/2 pipe).