Photo

BASE Hockey - We're looking for new curves!

Ovechkin Hull P28M Max height Barkov Gionta LT

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

Poll: New Pattern Poll (98 member(s) have cast votes)

Which new patterns would you most like to see?

1. Max blade height (specify below) (22 votes [12.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.87%

2. More lie options (specify below) (11 votes [6.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.43%

3. Warrior Gionta (15 votes [8.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.77%

4. Barkov Pro (23 votes [13.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.45%

5. Hull Pro (12 votes [7.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.02%

6. Ovechkin Pro (20 votes [11.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.70%

7. Kovalchuk Pro (18 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

8. Toffoli/Kesler/Setoguchi Pro (Drury + Toe kink) (16 votes [9.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.36%

9. Benn Pro (P92 + Toe) (17 votes [9.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.94%

10. CCM Bergeron/Landeskog P46 (3 votes [1.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

11. Bauer P106 (2 votes [1.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.17%

12. Laine Pro (9 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

13. RH versions of our LH pro patterns (BC15, Kaberle Pro, etc.), and vice-versa (3 votes [1.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:45 PM

Any chance of making your LH pro only blades available in RH? BC15 looks very interesting

#42 WARRIOR17

WARRIOR17
  • LocationNJ

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

Was Just thinking a Patrik Laine curve would be cool :D

#43 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

Was Just thinking a Patrik Laine curve would be cool :D

I like where your head is at

#44 Cavs019

Cavs019

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:49 AM

P106 please and thank you.

#45 Butter88

Butter88

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

Out of curiosity what are the advantages of having max blade height? Seems to be something that’s in high demand now!

#46 Butter88

Butter88

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

So many guys are using fat blades like datsyuk, Kadei, petan, yakupov, Matheson, and others.

#47 LankNasty

LankNasty
  • LocationHamilton, Ontario

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

It’s sty

"Thank God theres still a sport for middle sized white boys"

-Derek Sutton (Youngblood) 

#3k

#48 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

So many guys are using fat blades like datsyuk, Kadei, petan, yakupov, Matheson, and others.

I can understanding wanting to "try out" something that is catching on at the pro level, but I don't see how adding a max height version of an existing pattern is a sound business decision for Base. What I mean is sure, maybe a bunch of people will try it out and get the minimins needed to get it off the ground, but after that are people really going to give up buying prostocks and new tech on the latest retail models because Base's version has added height? I would guess, probably not. 

However if they offer a unique curve which has good usability for a large user base (not a crazy extreme curve) they might be able to create a new user base and sell more sticks.

#49 Mr Data

Mr Data
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:08 AM

Out of curiosity what are the advantages of having max blade height? Seems to be something that’s in high demand now!

I can understanding wanting to "try out" something that is catching on at the pro level, but I don't see how adding a max height version of an existing pattern is a sound business decision for Base. What I mean is sure, maybe a bunch of people will try it out and get the minimins needed to get it off the ground, but after that are people really going to give up buying prostocks and new tech on the latest retail models because Base's version has added height? I would guess, probably not. 

However if they offer a unique curve which has good usability for a large user base (not a crazy extreme curve) they might be able to create a new user base and sell more sticks.

Taller blades are catching on quickly at the pro level, and I think it's going to filter down to the amateur ranks, as many of these trends do. Many patterns that are popular today started out as pro favourites unknown to the retail world.

The advantages of a taller blade are mostly focused on puck control. They allow more surface area to make it harder for the puck to flip over the blade if a pass isn't sitting flat. They also can make deflections easier. As always, it's a personal preference thing, but I've heard tall blade users say that they don't even feel the difference in weight or balance, so there's no real downside (apart from sty, perhaps... :LOL: ). Also, I think that some people will give up buying pro stocks and the latest retail models because they like how our sticks feel and perform, and not just because of the pattern selection.

That being said, as the poll indicates, we are looking at launching unusual patterns, some of which have never been offered at retail. Right now, it seems like the Barkov has a lot of traction, and I'll push for moulds to get made.

#50 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:23 AM

Warrior gionta

#51 Adam

Adam

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:30 PM

The performance aspect should be the driving factor in getting people to use your sticks, until your one piece is on par with some of the other top of the line sticks available both at retail or even pro stocks, pattern selection will be your niche. Now by no means am I trying to take away your offering, I love when companies listen to shop guys and the general public and produce/make changes based on feedback, however I would not put any of Bases offerings up against the Trigger2 or 1x and say that they are on the same playing field.

For selfish reasons I would like to see a more closed toe pattern, but not to the extend of the kovy/gionta which is too much hook, slight loft, slight toe curve P92 blade shape. Have used similar pro stocks in the past and love it. 

I enjoy hearing the variance in what people are looking for on here. Very interesting.

#52 Mr Data

Mr Data

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:13 PM

The performance aspect should be the driving factor in getting people to use your sticks, until your one piece is on par with some of the other top of the line sticks available both at retail or even pro stocks, pattern selection will be your niche. Now by no means am I trying to take away your offering, I love when companies listen to shop guys and the general public and produce/make changes based on feedback, however I would not put any of Bases offerings up against the Trigger2 or 1x and say that they are on the same playing field.

For selfish reasons I would like to see a more closed toe pattern, but not to the extend of the kovy/gionta which is too much hook, slight loft, slight toe curve P92 blade shape. Have used similar pro stocks in the past and love it. 

I enjoy hearing the variance in what people are looking for on here. Very interesting.

I think our LT is definitely on par with other manufacturers' top offerings, but obviously you can't take my word for that. Anyone who wants to try one out without the risk of buying can come in for a fitting, and I think they'd be pleasantly surprised. Of course, it all still boils down to personal preference, but in terms of quality I'll pit our sticks against the big manufacturers any day.

You'd probably like the Barkov if/when it gets made. Not exactly a P92 blade shape, but it's a very slight toe curve. I'll be pushing for that one, and I think it has good chances. We'd have to get our hands on a sample though.

#53 southpawfox

southpawfox

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

... Also, I think that some people will give up buying pro stocks and the latest retail models because they like how our sticks feel and perform, and not just because of the pattern selection

This is dead on for me, I have been really enjoying the BC71 and love being able to order a single stick to exactly my specs (80flex +1in, Grip Gloss). I do not see ordering from another brand unless they offer the ability to "customize" sticks to this level with a wide variety of curves and have no minimum order. I was pleasantly surprised with the pop I was getting and the overall puck feel!

My biggest feedback is the look of the graphics package, please do not take this the wrong way -- but every stick I have received looks like a prototype and the graphics were slapped on as an after thought. The Nasty R was a step in the right direction but still didn't look like a "finished" product.

Getting a designer to layout some designs will take you guys to the next level, in my humble opinion.

#54 Mr Data

Mr Data

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:37 PM

This is dead on for me, I have been really enjoying the BC71 and love being able to order a single stick to exactly my specs (80flex +1in, Grip Gloss). I do not see ordering from another brand unless they offer the ability to "customize" sticks to this level with a wide variety of curves and have no minimum order. I was pleasantly surprised with the pop I was getting and the overall puck feel!

My biggest feedback is the look of the graphics package, please do not take this the wrong way -- but every stick I have received looks like a prototype and the graphics were slapped on as an after thought. The Nasty R was a step in the right direction but still didn't look like a "finished" product.

Getting a designer to layout some designs will take you guys to the next level, in my humble opinion.

Thanks for the feedback - I don't take offense to any constructive feedback. In fact, it's most welcome. I'll pass your comments on to the "big wigs".

#55 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

Taller blades are catching on quickly at the pro level, and I think it's going to filter down to the amateur ranks, as many of these trends do. Many patterns that are popular today started out as pro favourites unknown to the retail world.

The advantages of a taller blade are mostly focused on puck control. They allow more surface area to make it harder for the puck to flip over the blade if a pass isn't sitting flat. They also can make deflections easier. As always, it's a personal preference thing, but I've heard tall blade users say that they don't even feel the difference in weight or balance, so there's no real downside (apart from sty, perhaps... :LOL: ). Also, I think that some people will give up buying pro stocks and the latest retail models because they like how our sticks feel and perform, and not just because of the pattern selection.

That being said, as the poll indicates, we are looking at launching unusual patterns, some of which have never been offered at retail. Right now, it seems like the Barkov has a lot of traction, and I'll push for moulds to get made.

Not trying to be a dick here, but I feel you kind of missed the whole point of my post (maybe I wrote it badly)

It's not that I don't understand the advantages of a taller pattern, it's that as a business decision it's not enough of a differentiator to get customers to change to Base as a long term customer IMO.

I like Base and I honestly appreciate what the company does for the hockey community. I believe (and maybe I'm wrong here) where Base differentiates itself is the ability to offer unique specs (curves/ flexs etc) which aren't available from other retail models. I don't feel that offering a small variation on an existing pattern will provide a competitive advantage (long term) to allow Base to compete with pro-stock sales (price) or the technologies offered by the new high-end retail sticks. Again I like Base, but I've yet had a Base stick that competes with the performance of a top model Nexus, Tacks or True, but Base sticks are tanks and do outperform the others on durability.

However a unique, very user friendly pattern like the Barkov I could see sway enough users to make sense financially.

#56 Mr Data

Mr Data

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:59 PM

Not trying to be a dick here, but I feel you kind of missed the whole point of my post (maybe I wrote it badly)

It's not that I don't understand the advantages of a taller pattern, it's that as a business decision it's not enough of a differentiator to get customers to change to Base as a long term customer IMO.

I like Base and I honestly appreciate what the company does for the hockey community. I believe (and maybe I'm wrong here) where Base differentiates itself is the ability to offer unique specs (curves/ flexs etc) which aren't available from other retail models. I don't feel that offering a small variation on an existing pattern will provide a competitive advantage (long term) to allow Base to compete with pro-stock sales (price) or the technologies offered by the new high-end retail sticks. Again I like Base, but I've yet had a Base stick that competes with the performance of a top model Nexus, Tacks or True, but Base sticks are tanks and do outperform the others on durability.

However a unique, very user friendly pattern like the Barkov I could see sway enough users to make sense financially.

I get what you're saying, and I totally agree that your appreciation of our sticks depends on your personal preferences and that they're not for everyone. On the max blade height thing, I gotta say that making business decisions is above my pay grade. However, I've seen that there is substantial and growing interest for max height blades both in the pro and amateur ranks, and this might be a good way to get ahead of the trend. After all, lie is also a small variation on existing patterns, but several major manufacturers find it important enough to offer the same pattern in different lies (most often the Sakic/P92). That's why I made this thread - to gather more info on blade pattern trends in the market, so that we can give the community the patterns it really wants. So far, it seems to me that the Barkov, Ovi, and max height blades are quite popular, and so that's what I'm pushing for.

#57 B.D.M

B.D.M

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

Yeah, I can definitely see the difference in how the F would play vs the G, but as you said, it's a niche pattern already so it would be a pretty hard sell.

#58 B.D.M

B.D.M

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

UPDATE: Blade-only shipping has been fixed on the BASE USA site. Blade orders should now have the proper shipping for US customers. We're working on the Canadian site, and it should be fixed as well soon.

#59 Mr Data

Mr Data

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:25 PM

Okay, we're making some headway with the Barkov pattern. Would anyone happen to have a Barkov twig they could donate to get a mould made? We may be able to scan an intact one-piece stick, but it's more likely we'd have to chop the blade. The donator would be compensated with a custom BASE stick.

#60 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:38 PM

I don’t know how many variations there are of the Barkov, but I have his Cannon sticks.

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ovechkin, Hull, P28M, Max height, Barkov, Gionta, LT