Photo

What supplements do you use

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bosik

Bosik

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:56 AM

do you guys think adding protein shakes, bcaa, vitamins or joint supplements will help for recovery and good for health?

i drink protein after every game and sometimes supplements for healthy joints.

it looked odd, but i still grabbed a pair...

#2 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

The more important question is how is your diet? Are you eating clean whole foods, hitting your macros, while staying within your caloric threshold?

Supplements are great if they are needed. Most people never hit where they should be with diet alone. I personally use Bcaa's, a joint supp, and protein supp when needed. I try to always eat a meal after a skate, as well as a small meal about 1 1/2 hrs prior to skating (same for my regular workout). Oh, and coffee...lots and lots of coffee.

Long story even longer, yes they are very benificial, if used in conjunction with proper lifestyle. You can't expect supplements to substitute for poor lifestyle habits.

Sorry, hopping off my soap box now.

#3 Jhui

Jhui

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:07 PM

meldonium

#4 kevboy555

kevboy555

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:56 PM

Cocaine is like a wonder drug...

#5 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:26 PM

Even better to take it while playing. Keeps the heart rate up

#6 Bosik

Bosik

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:57 AM

meldonium

I dont think I need it since I am not preparing for the Olympics  :)

The more important question is how is your diet? Are you eating clean whole foods, hitting your macros, while staying within your caloric threshold?

Supplements are great if they are needed. Most people never hit where they should be with diet alone. I personally use Bcaa's, a joint supp, and protein supp when needed. I try to always eat a meal after a skate, as well as a small meal about 1 1/2 hrs prior to skating (same for my regular workout). Oh, and coffee...lots and lots of coffee.

Long story even longer, yes they are very benificial, if used in conjunction with proper lifestyle. You can't expect supplements to substitute for poor lifestyle habits.

Got ya, I "study" youtube about this issue. And yes, I have a good diet without fast food, coke etc. And what is the point with coffee? I mean I saw many pro players drinking it a lot. How does it help?

it looked odd, but i still grabbed a pair...

#7 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

I dont think I need it since I am not preparing for the Olympics :)

Got ya, I "study" youtube about this issue. And yes, I have a good diet without fast food, coke etc. And what is the point with coffee? I mean I saw many pro players drinking it a lot. How does it help?

It's a natural low calorie drink (if you drink it black) that has good caffeine content to keep you going and be able to focus, without being too much. Much better alternative to pre-workout supplements that are on the market or energy drinks. There are many long term benifits as well.

#8 2ndRoundExit

2ndRoundExit

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:48 AM

Personally, i only take a multi vitamin, fish oil, pre workout (if i am tired) and protein (if needed) for supplements, The rest I handle in my diet. 

I have been studying macros, calories, supplements, recovery and other physique/health related topics for around 3 years now. Much like what bluhmd said, supplements are an as needed basis. For example, if you are hitting your protein macro-nutrient goal then you wont NEED to take any BCAAs. You will be getting enough through your protein intake. As for other supplements, they are only (generally speaking) 5% of what is important, the rest being your calorie/energy intake. I really only drink protein shakes IF i am low on my protein macro. Protein shakes are just a convenience food in order to intake grams of protein, they arent a magic formula for gains. 

Best thing for recovery is to time your meals around your skates or workouts. remember, food is energy and when we skate or play hockey, we expend a TON of energy. So make sure you take in a good meal 2/3 hours before your skate in order to supply your workout with ample amounts of energy. I personally like to eat 3/4 hours ahead of my skate and then take in a big meal afterward. You just gotta find the right formula for you. 

Long story short, like bluhmd said, if you hit your macro/calorie goal and throw in 80% of your entire daily food intake as nutrient dense foods, you'll be good. Dieting and food intake isn't as complicated as the media makes it out to be. 

For your youtube research, check out Jeff Nippard. He is a good source and explains it well. 

If you need any other info just message me. 

I'm Okay. Russian Machine Never Breaks.