Photo

Are Sparx sharpeners really that good?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:56 PM

The whole idea seems cool to have one if you need it in a pinch but the Hockey Tutorial kid Chris seems to think it's gods gift. He posted on his Instagram this morning a video of him on an ODR showing off the good ice and then he goes and skates over a rut filled uneven garbage looking pothole section and goes "check this mess out, chaos. woahhhh". I asked him why he would wreck his steel skating on that crap ice and this kid wrote back "Because we have 2 Sparx sharpeners which means in 2 mins, our skates are fixed." I guess you're allowed to be dumb with thousand dollar skates when you get them for free though.

#2 LankNasty

LankNasty
  • LocationHamilton, Ontario

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:46 PM

Prosharp Home is better

"Thank God theres still a sport for middle sized white boys"

-Derek Sutton (Youngblood) 

#3k

#3 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:31 PM

I can't say if other home sharpeners are better but Sparx is pretty much the awesome. I have a Wissota as well and while my Wissota is great my Sparx is more consistent.

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#4 Evanblake

Evanblake
  • LocationTri cities, TN

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:54 AM

I love mine. It's portable too, if you buy a power inverter for your car, you only need a 200 watt one, you can sharpen out of your car too. Perfect sharpenings every time, its error proof as long as it's calibrated correctly and the wheel height is correct. Worth every cent. Super smooth sharpening, you get the same thing every time

#5 Evanblake

Evanblake
  • LocationTri cities, TN

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:55 AM

I run a Bestek 300 watt inverter, its a good idea to overshoot on it. It basically lets you plug into the car and hook up a house/ 3 prong hookup, its super easy, you just have to have your car running while you do it

#6 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

I'd love to pick up a used one for a bit cheaper and try it out, but everyone keeps theirs, so that must say someone good towards how good it is

#7 Maratanator11

Maratanator11
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

"Are Sparx sharpeners really that good?"

Yes. Just don't tell your buds you have one. I currently sharpen 5 other pairs of skates besides mine and my daughter's.

But as someone said, as long as its calibrated (I haven't had to recalibrate in months) and the wheel height is set, it's a perfect sharpening every time.  End of the month will be a year that I have mine.  Haven't had to go anywhere besides my basement for a sharpening and haven't had to replace the filter yet. I was switching at times between 9/16 and 5/8, so I haven't wore down a grinding wheel yet.  But I'm close with the 5/8 so I did order a new one. 

ONE NEGATIVE - if you get a terrible nick or divet in the steel, its really hard to get out. Traditionally you would cross grind it on a regular sharpener, but sparx doesn't have that.  They had a cross grind wheel when they first came out, but that created too much debris and wore out the filters very quickly. 

#8 - M

- M

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:50 AM

The whole idea seems cool to have one if you need it in a pinch but the Hockey Tutorial kid Chris seems to think it's gods gift. He posted on his Instagram this morning a video of him on an ODR showing off the good ice and then he goes and skates over a rut filled uneven garbage looking pothole section and goes "check this mess out, chaos. woahhhh". I asked him why he would wreck his steel skating on that crap ice and this kid wrote back "Because we have 2 Sparx sharpeners which means in 2 mins, our skates are fixed." I guess you're allowed to be dumb with thousand dollar skates when you get them for free though.

Is there a product that those Youtubers don't like?  I'm not knocking on their personalities or anything but when you like absolutely everything you review...

Yes. Just don't tell your buds you have one. I currently sharpen 5 other pairs of skates besides mine and my daughter's.

But as someone said, as long as its calibrated (I haven't had to recalibrate in months) and the wheel height is set, it's a perfect sharpening every time.  End of the month will be a year that I have mine.  Haven't had to go anywhere besides my basement for a sharpening and haven't had to replace the filter yet. I was switching at times between 9/16 and 5/8, so I haven't wore down a grinding wheel yet.  But I'm close with the 5/8 so I did order a new one. 

ONE NEGATIVE - if you get a terrible nick or divet in the steel, its really hard to get out. Traditionally you would cross grind it on a regular sharpener, but sparx doesn't have that.  They had a cross grind wheel when they first came out, but that created too much debris and wore out the filters very quickly. 

Depends where the nick is as well.  If it's on the toe or heel section I wouldn't worry about it since you won't be gliding on it.  Cross grinding it out would be an absolutely last resort.  It takes off way too much steel and you'd have to balance out the number of passes on both skates.  You're better off adjusting the sharpening jig high or low to shear off the appropriate side.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#9 Evanblake

Evanblake
  • LocationTri cities, TN

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:51 PM

Sparx has a crossgrind wheel now, the machine is simply amazing for the price. Unbelievable accuracy, repetitive perfect sharpenings, and the simplicity is great. I hit steel with a stone before sharpening, it makes the first pass easier on the wheel and not as rough sounding. I bought a power inverter and sharpen out of my car when I go play. You'll make your money back within 6 months if you sharpen your buddies skates. After that, it's a profit machine. You make money every time you skate

#10 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

Are you a rep for them? Be honest, cause your above post reeks of it

#11 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

Are you a rep for them? Be honest, cause your above post reeks of it

in Tennessee? I hope not....  :rofl:

#12 Maratanator11

Maratanator11
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

Sparx has a crossgrind wheel now, the machine is simply amazing for the price. Unbelievable accuracy, repetitive perfect sharpenings, and the simplicity is great. I hit steel with a stone before sharpening, it makes the first pass easier on the wheel and not as rough sounding. I bought a power inverter and sharpen out of my car when I go play. You'll make your money back within 6 months if you sharpen your buddies skates. After that, it's a profit machine. You make money every time you skate

I looked on their site recently, and they have 3 models now.  I have the first one, before the made the higher volume ones. I think the crossgrind is just for the higher volume ones.  Looks like those have a heavier duty filter system.

#13 Liddy019

Liddy019

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:29 AM

Do the higher volume ones profile?
Liddy:-)

#14 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:51 AM

They don't profile, no, you'd have to get that done at a normal shop. However, Sparx says due to their consistency in sharpenings, you won't need to re-up the profile at any point, it'll stay perfect throughout the life of the steel. Whether or not this is true, someone else would have to confirm.

#15 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:12 PM

I had mine profiled at my local shop over a year ago and I've had the Sparx in use for at least that long skating 3-4 times a week. it's still spot on.

#16 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:41 PM

Charge them. Where I am, a shitty LHS sharpening costs $10 and I charge my buds $5 for the Sprax sharpening.

Custom everything.

#17 - M

- M

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:06 PM

I had mine profiled at my local shop over a year ago and I've had the Sparx in use for at least that long skating 3-4 times a week. it's still spot on.

What are you checking your profile with to make sure it's still spot on?

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#18 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

What are you checking your profile with to make sure it's still spot on?

I had 2 pairs of skates profiled at the same time. I don't skate on pair #2. I compared the 2 and they match perfectly, though probably a little less overall steel just from normal sharpening on the pair I actually skate on.

#19 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:05 PM

No FBV for these things yet correct?

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#20 x-axis

x-axis
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

They do have flat bottom.  They call it their "fire" rings.

The conversation has been interesting so far compared to the conversations that happen in a pro shop group I am in about the sparx machine and integrating it into our workflow.

My personal experience after 6 months are that the sharpenings aren't completely level and that's after using multiple rings and troubleshooting the problems multiple ways. It could be that we just got a bad machine. There also isn't a "finishing pass" so the sharpening doesn't come out as clean looking and one could argue that it does take away some glide...as well as the fact that the machine can only do full passes instead of a combination of full and straight passes like your normal sharpener would do.

And with certain steel it has difficulties sharpening brand new, like my true step steel. It automatically shut off mid sharpen on the first pass. This was after changing the starting height multiple times.

But I guess if it works for most of you definitely get it. It's an affordable option if you have horrible sharpeners in your area.

Old Buyer/Seller Feedback-http://www.sports2k....axis/?hl=x-axis

Want to buy:

Small Shells

Large Edge Practice Socks White with navy stripe 

Large Edge Practice Socks Burgundy with white stripe