Photo

Cutting Sticks

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 qmc93

qmc93

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:27 PM

Question for y'all (and it's a bit of an embarrassing one):

No matter what I seem to do, I cannot cut down a stick straight to save my life. Don't have access to a table saw, only a hacksaw, and I've been hopeless with it for years...it's crooked every damn time.

Any tips/tricks that could possibly help me out here? Hoping I'm not the only one.

#2 Wheelin89

Wheelin89

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:29 PM

Hand in your man card and leave it to your local hockey shop. Kidding. Just go to harbor freight and buy a cheap chopsaw

#3 Steelnation248

Steelnation248

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:35 PM

stanley-miter-boxes-20-600d-64_1000.jpg

Get a mitre box from your local hardware store or Amazon

#4 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:36 PM

+1 for the mitre box and a hacksaw. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#5 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

see below

#6 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:02 PM

Don't forget to measure the lie.

But real talk, that mitre box is it.

Custom everything.

#7 Moose

Moose

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:14 PM

You could just take some hockey tape and wrap a straight line around the shaft and cut to that.

#8 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:28 PM

You could just take some hockey tape and wrap a straight line around the shaft and cut to that.

I don't think he has a problem measuring a straight line. I think it's that when he's applying force to the saw it's not at a perfect right angle so it'll go diagonal. Or maybe the hacksaw itself isn't straight anymore.

Custom everything.

#9 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:32 PM

This --^

If the hack saw's steel is like most, it won't last long. Instead, I use one of these:

https://www.homedepo...0547L/202710512 and adjust it to be a triangle instead of its default rectangular shape (creates more tension on the blade and prevents it from bending).

And then bought replacements blades (most hacksaws are made for wood/plastics, not carbon fiber, so after about 5-10 sticks, you'll want to replace them):

https://www.homedepo...20558/205049947

To expand on Moose's suggestion:

1. Start by adding a piece of tape around the body.
2. Place the body on a flat surface with the head of the body hanging over. (I use my bed -- it works well enough).

3. Place something heavy on top of it to weigh it down. It shouldn't move without quite a bit of force.

4. Hold the head with your non-dominant hand, then place your saw blade against the tape, then very lightly score the body. When scored, apply some light downward pressure. You shouldn't need much pressure to cut through the body's sidewall. You need to allow the saw blade to do most of the work. Don't force it and take your time.
5. At some point the saw blade will stick, no longer cut, may flex and move the body around. Stop!
6. Flip the body to the next uncut side. Part of this side should have a small cut-line from the previous cut. Use that and the tape as a guide. Lightly score the body and then begin cutting again.
7. Rinse and repeat until you've cut through all 4 body sides.
8. Finish off the freshly cut edges with a filer.

9. Take a wet paper towel and wipe down the outside and 1-2" inside of the body.

10. Take a dry paper towel and clean off any residual fragments.

Note: Attempting to cut through the body in one go will require too much downward pressure and will bend the saw and give you a crooked cut. Again, allow the saw to do most of the work. If it sticks while cutting, flip the body over to the next side. The basic idea is to individually cut into all 4 body sidewalls with the same pressure while using the tape as a guide. 

Total cost: $30

#10 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:47 PM

Use a vise and keep your eyes open for a good deal on a SawZall

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

#11 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

I don't know how convenient it is for you, but I have taken a lot of sticks to Total / Pure Hockey. They've cut them without a second thought, multiple times if I need it and I've never bought a stick from them in my life.

Also took one to the pro shop at my rink which is a Perani's (kind of) and the kid cut it with a hacksaw. Prior to that, I had no idea you could even cut a stick wrong. Kid's cut was diagonal AF and made the re-inserted plug look really stupid.

#12 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:29 PM

I don't know how convenient it is for you, but I have taken a lot of sticks to Total / Pure Hockey. They've cut them without a second thought, multiple times if I need it and I've never bought a stick from them in my life.

You're lucky; some stores charge to use their saw if you didn't buy the stick from them.

Custom everything.

#13 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

Don't cut your sticks, eventually you'll grow into it.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#14 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

Someone post the graph and formula

#15 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:10 PM

hot-crazy-matrix.png

This one?

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

#16 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:04 AM

This?

591c3c8fb3cad_zUKw6xE__700.jpg

#17 AussieCanuckHockeyLover

AussieCanuckHockeyLover

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

I cut sticks at my work all the time, we use just a hand saw so sometimes the cuts aren't even. What I have been doing is cutting it a bit longer (like 1cm or so) and then using the cross grinder on the skate-sharpening machines to grind it down even. Obviously you don't have a cross grinder stone so cut it a tiny bit longer and use sandpaper. It will also smooth out the edges of your cut and won't cut into your gloves. 

#18 Moose

Moose

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:40 AM

A sturdy metal or wood file does the trick too if you have one.

#19 Maratanator11

Maratanator11
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:35 PM

I had the same problem for a bit. I have a vice, but the saw does dull pretty quickly.  I then started to score two sides of it, to kind of guide it while cutting.  That helped a little.  Eventually I ended up getting a miter saw for free, so now my cuts take 1 second and are straight. So, replace the hacksaw blade often. Or invest in a miter saw if you're cutting that many sticks.

#20 asgoodasdead

asgoodasdead

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:30 PM

i just cut it "close enough" sand down the edges stick the butt end back in, tape it up and you never see it again. seems like something extremely petty to worry about. its not gonna mess up your shooting or stickhandling or anything