Photo

Safely Storing Pro Stock Gear in a 1910 Basement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeylife20

Hockeylife20

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:19 PM

I recently moved to a new house and it has a concrete and lime stone basement and there is always mosture on the ground and it’s damp. However we do run the dehumidifier constantly. My wife wants my gear out of the entryway but I’m afraid to store it down there because I’m think it will get moldy and ruined due to the moisture. Does anyone have any experience with this type of basement and storing your gear unfortunately we don’t have a garage so that’s not an option. With the price I spent and time searching on the things I have collected I would hate for anything to get moldy or ruined. Thanks for help or tips

#2 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:37 AM

Id consider changing wife. :D

To kill the humidity id turn on the heat (baseboard?) at a minimum.

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#3 KomarovSoshnikovMarner

KomarovSoshnikovMarner

Posted 24 June 2018 - 05:30 AM

What about plastic storage boxes and sachets of silica gel?

#4 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 June 2018 - 10:38 AM

My house was built in 1900. While it is a block foundation, it is stil very damp all year down there. I ended up putting two dehumidifiers down there, and have silica packets for my gloves. I shore my stuff on plastic shelves and I built them about 6-8 inches off of the ground. I'll lay out my gear upstairs for a couple hours after a skate, then store it with everything else. All of my gear is in great shape, and I haven't had any issues.

#5 Jhui

Jhui

Posted 24 June 2018 - 11:10 AM

silica gel works well, make sure the storage box is well sealed, individual bags would be even better. i would check for mold and what not by periodically moving them around every couple weeks. if any mold forms, chlorox wipes are your friend