Photo

Buying Skates Online

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 prostockhockeysales

prostockhockeysales

Posted 04 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

Pro hockey life has a bunch of vh skate returns, I was wondering what peoples opinions are on buying skates online not being able to try them on etc..

#2 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:03 PM

If you cant return them I wouldnt recommend it. It is hard enough to find the perfect fit when you can try them on.

#3 - M

- M

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:42 PM

As long as you can return them.  Keep in mind they were likely built for someone else's foot.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#4 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:37 PM

That's what I don't understand about True/VH skates. They are made specifically for the dimensions of someone else's foot, why do people buy them second hand? What are the odds of both boots actually feeling like a good fit when they weren't scanned to your feet?

#5 Liddy019

Liddy019

Posted 06 July 2018 - 06:45 PM

I think the idea is the fact you can re-heat them I think its 5 times. Hence the resale. I would do it if the price was right b/c there os that little extra custom for someone's else's foot
Liddy:-)

#6 cthockey

cthockey

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:49 AM

I make decent $$$$ now on customers that buy skates online. They come in to our shop and need them baked/sharpened. We charge $35 to bake them and $12 to sharpen, usually its only $5 to sharpen. If you buy the skates from us its a free baked and sharpening. With the vast amount of "closeouts" out there we're finding people don't mind as much anymore to be using a brand new last years model skate. We don't buy 10+ pairs of every size like the big box stores so our closeout selection is always minimal at best. 

#7 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:30 PM

Woah. I didn't know baking cost that much. I bought my 1S new in the box from a guy here on S2K and took them in the Source For Sports in Calgary and they still did it for free. I knew he was being a good guy (which guaranteed my Buisness for future things) but i figured it was maybe $10 to do it

#8 TokenGoon

TokenGoon
  • LocationFinland

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:47 AM

We charge $35 to bake them.

Imo thats waay too much for just baking even if the skates are bought elsewhere

#9 cthockey

cthockey

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

I totally agree it is. But if you don't want to support your local hockey shop by purchasing your skates there then there will be a price to pay for properly baking and sharpening them. I assume the risk of damaging a skate that wasn't purchased directly from me. Its not worth the risk but if a customer is willing to pay the fee then I'm willing to help. 

#10 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:33 PM

Hey man that's perfectly fine, it's capitolism and if people will pay it then there's zero problem with doing it and all the more power to ya. I never took in to account the risk you may be taking on heating that boot but the customer should know that before they go in too

#11 Maratanator11

Maratanator11
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:59 AM

Pure hockey charges $40 to bake, if you don't buy the skates there. Another local shop charges $45. I've bought a few pairs of skates online. I go for the last year's model because it's a lot cheaper, and I already know my size before I order. Personally, I wouldn't buy a pro skate because those are always made for that particular player's feet, and I don't have standard feet that fit most skates anyway.