Photo

IIHF Travel/Tickets

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 micam00

micam00

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

All,

I am contemplating a trip to take in some international hockey, mostly preliminary games as they will likely be the easiest to attend.  Being from Nashville, 2019 World Junior would be easiest as it is in Victoria. The 2019 World Championship is in Slovakia, and 2020 World Junior is in Czezh Republic, 2020 World Championship is in Switzerland.  Has anyone traveled overseas to take in a few of these games? What were your experiences? How did you go about getting tickets (full package, individual, or buy once you arrived)?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks.

#2 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:20 AM

You aren't going to get any concrete answers. How your experience will go, and how to get tickets greatly depends on the country/organization that is putting on the tournament, it will not be the same experience year to year. In my experience (I've gone to three seperate WJHCs), buying the full package makes no sense, as there are quite a few games you don't need to attend, however, for Toronto and Montreal, you HAD to buy the package to have a shot at the medal round tickets, so most people bought packages then resold all the other tickets. So if you're just looking to take in prelim games, buying individual tickets will be super easy (but this might not apply in Czech Republic/Slovakia, so your experience may vary). I absolutely love the WJHC, and highly highly recommend going to those games, as they're cheap (aside from the Medal/Canada games), and it's great hockey. For example, in 2017, I got tickets to USA-Russia in the Semis in the lower bowl for 9 dollars. My tickets for the final (CAN-USA) cost me 400$+ however. 

#3 ziakoo

ziakoo
  • LocationBratislava, Slovakia

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:48 AM

Hi, I am from Bratislava, Slovakia .. I would not recommend to just come and hope you will get tickets. Of course, from sellers around stadium it will be possible but for higher prices and you cannot be sure if seller will not sell tickets more times. And only first would pass through gate ..
Last WCH, tickets were sold only via internet and I would say it will be same again next year. If you have some questions, just ask. 

As far as I remember, it wasn't possible to buy tickets for single game in group phase. And of course, Slovaks and Czechs were sold almost immediately. 

In next rounds of tournament it was possible to buy tickets even for single games and also packages.