Photo

Fused vs One piece sticks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:02 AM

I was just curious to hear people’s thoughts on advantages / disadvantages of fused construction vs true one piece sticks. Is it a weight thing ? Puck feel? Shot pop? obviously a lot of it is personal preference and guys don’t like to change their stuff but I’ve noticed a lot of fused warrior builds even in NCAA as well as pro.

#2 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:19 PM

Talked to a manager at my LHS who had a chance to go through Bauer University. Said they showed him some hig speed footage of a shot release for both a monocomp and a fused construction stick. The fusion point created an extra node in the vibration of the stick after releasing the puck, which I can imagine decreases the amount of energy being returned into the shot.

From personal experience, I think there is a little more pop in the "true one piece" designs and the puck feel is a little better. Consistency I think is the biggest difference feel-wise

#3 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:20 AM

I don’t really think that I can tell the difference. I do know that there are guys like Krug still in old Warrior Builds (F4) and other big shooters in fused construction sticks. I think Bauer is out of if unless it’s a veteran still in G3. But Warriors Dynasty line was fused, Ribcors are all fused (Tavares, Duchene, Hischier, Forsberg, Barzal) etc but that gets into what guys are used to. I wonder if that “node of vibration” is so minuscule it’s hard to even measure.

#4 Adam

Adam

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:00 PM

why does stuff like this keep you up at night?

fused sticks will feel sturdier because there's more material in their build, which I'm sure some guys like. I know when I used the retail alpha, similar to the bauer adv it almost felt too light and "fragile" for lack of a better term, I think pros are putting sticks through a lot more than you or me and theres a chance that they think that too.

Or they don't care enough to change what has proven to work. Seriously, who gives a fuck about opinions on builds? find one you like and stick with it

#5 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:23 PM

Are blade pattern options limited on true one piece sticks?

#6 Mr Data

Mr Data
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:09 PM

In practical terms? No perceptible difference. If anything, there might be a psychological/marketing difference. Any performance enhancements you notice between a "true one-piece" vs fused stick can probably be chalked up to your personal preference for the feel of that particular "true one-piece" vs that particular fused stick.

Not a popular answer, I know.

#7 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:46 AM

I'm sure balance point is a factor as well as a fused stick will invariably have more weight towards the blade which players may or may not like.

Custom everything.

#8 Fooj

Fooj
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 24 October 2018 - 08:47 AM

I'm sure balance point is a factor as well as a fused stick will invariably have more weight towards the blade which players may or may not like.

This is a big advantage of true OPS

IG: Fooj Media

#9 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:41 PM

I personally feel fused is blade heavy compared to an OPS, which I personally like. I feel OPS have a better overall balance to them and the stick itself performs nicely. Sometimes a stick feels "too light" to me, and I just don't like it. Now I will say my perfect stick is a fused Inno/Dolomite stick for perspective. I've tried both and personally prefer 2 piece tapered sticks since I can't get my curve any other way. Tapered 2 piece, to me, is almost identical to a fused blade. I will say the pop out of a OPS is a bit better, but I just like the feel overall of a 2 piece/fused. Just my 2 cents

#10 canqing

canqing

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:49 PM

The main and only difference to me is weight or balance point. BTW, the top of the line OPSs are too blade light, which I don't like.