Photo

Glove repair- Hockey Menders

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 01 August 2019 - 03:07 PM

Joe did a great job with my Tacks and overseas Franchises. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#22 blazer88

blazer88
  • Locationlong island n.y

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:28 PM

Have 2 pair of new MIC Ccm 852's , there now. A pair of Pen's Hagelin's ( cut down gusset's , repalm & double Warrrior liners ) & Carolina McClement's ( double warrior liners ). I know they are going to be Awesome when their done.

#23 AARONSWORLD

AARONSWORLD

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:07 PM

CPR = Ralph Lauren

HockeyMenders = U.S. Polo Assn 

I've had 4 pairs done at HockeyMenders and the work is not as clean and precise as CPR. Joe left gaps in between the strap binding on my 1S which exposed the insides. The fit on all my gloves also changed and became looser fitting. In terms of materials, their Pittard digital palms are significantly thicker than CPRs too.

With that said, Joe is a great guy and provided quick communication and fairly fast turnaround, but it's just not CPR level of workmanship...

#24 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:44 PM

CPR = Ralph Lauren
HockeyMenders = U.S. Polo Assn 

I've had 4 pairs done at HockeyMenders and the work is not as clean and precise as CPR. Joe left gaps in between the strap binding on my 1S which exposed the insides. The fit on all my gloves also changed and became looser fitting. In terms of materials, their Pittard digital palms are significantly thicker than CPRs too.

With that said, Joe is a great guy and provided quick communication and fairly fast turnaround, but it's just not CPR level of workmanship...

I have not had any of those problems...CPR is great but their turn around time can be ridiculous and for all of us members in the states, its much easier and cheaper then shipping up north. And im just talking about repalms, i may have joe do some cuff shortening jobs and see how he does.

#25 AARONSWORLD

AARONSWORLD

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:21 PM

I have not had any of those problems...CPR is great but their turn around time can be ridiculous and for all of us members in the states, its much easier and cheaper then shipping up north. And im just talking about repalms, i may have joe do some cuff shortening jobs and see how he does.

The cheaper shipping prices for you guys in the states is a bonus for sure and I agree with the quicker on average turn around time. Waiting a year for your gloves to be touched while they are swamped with Pro work can be frustrating lol 

I was just comparing the quality of work overall. Hockey Menders is a great alternative and it's awesome what Joe is doing for the community, especially for Americans. The more shops the better for everyone.

#26 theruz23

theruz23
  • LocationCT

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:59 AM

The cheaper shipping prices for you guys in the states is a bonus for sure and I agree with the quicker on average turn around time. Waiting a year for your gloves to be touched while they are swamped with Pro work can be frustrating lol 

I was just comparing the quality of work overall. Hockey Menders is a great alternative and it's awesome what Joe is doing for the community, especially for Americans. The more shops the better for everyone.

Agreed, more options the better. I have quit making a huge glove family and have narrowed mine down to just a few really nice habs gloves. So i cant really wait half a year to get them back, but cpr is definitely the best in terms if truly custom requests. Im usually just in need of gusset/palm repairs so joe has been the best option for me at this time

#27 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:55 PM

From my experience the work is good, but it's not CPR. If you want a repalm and you're in the states its a good option. Anything outside of repalms I'd suggest waiting for/paying the extra money to CPR. Even then, with the exchange rate and cost of return shipping its a bit on the pricey side for Canadian customers. As a Canadian customer I was quoted $28 USD for return shipping via USPS first class despite being only an hour away from the shop. I understand he doesn't set shipping prices but from talking to US members on here, the consensus is that, that service is usually between $15-20. I'm not saying he's making money off of shipping but I found that a bit suspicious/shocking. 

I'll wait until I receive the gloves to give an in-depth assessment of the work but judging from the pictures, they'll probably end up at CPR when they start to slow down again.

One major positive is the customer service. He's very responsive and the wait times are reasonable (Less than 2 weeks for a cuff mod). In contrast its not unusual to wait over a month to get a return email from CPR. 

#28 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:21 PM

Had work done on 2 pair's. Overall work was very good , except on both left glove's. Binding in wrist was not tucked in proper or open end should have been ended under cuff roll. Just open end sewn & left out in open. Was it a left hand thing ?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          med_gallery_1862_1527_446965.jpg                                                                                                                         med_gallery_1862_1527_71948.jpg

#29 JdmHky16

JdmHky16
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:09 PM

Did you reach out to him about it? I've sent Joe a bunch of work over the years and never had any issues. All my gloves came back looking like they came from the factory. Just sent him 2 more pairs today. Hes also a great guy to deal with. I personally highly recommend Hockey Menders.

#30 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 22 December 2019 - 01:17 PM

Well he slacked on mine  , on the left gloves wrist binding. Otherwise was happy with the work. If I use him again , I will bring it up. Right gloves ( below ) were done correct. Can't think of a good reason the the left ones were sent back to me like that ( pictures in my above post )                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               imed_gallery_1862_1527_62775.jpgmed_gallery_1862_1527_360435.jpg

#31 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:13 AM

Finally got my gloves back

The one glove is pretty much flawless. The other kind of looks like he tried to challenge himself by doing it with his eyes closed... Super sloppy. I’m not sure why he wouldn’t go back in and redo it to make it look like as nice and clean as the other one.

6-E2-A8-FA3-D33-C-4587-BC69-A5700-C16884
C3-A48-BA0-E214-4-AB6-842-E-071-DA2-C8-E
F919704-E-3157-4-E35-8313-EECCD4051-BB6.

#32 AARONSWORLD

AARONSWORLD

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:25 AM

That's amateur hour. You should send him those pics and ask him for a discount  :thumbdown:

#33 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:49 AM

He got in contact with me shortly after me posting and made things right. He’s been super easy to deal with through out the process and the turnaround time was awesome, but with that being said I’ll stick to repalms from him from here on out. It’s not that his work is bad, many here have had him do some super clean mods (that cuff swap for example), but I think we’ve become pretty spoiled and high maintenance as a hockey gear community since CPR came around.

#34 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:17 PM

CPR or die..........

I'm sure hockey menders will get better and better though as you guys help address these issues. 

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#35 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 07 January 2020 - 06:13 PM

He got in contact with me shortly after me posting and made things right. He’s been super easy to deal with through out the process and the turnaround time was awesome, but with that being said I’ll stick to repalms from him from here on out. It’s not that his work is bad, many here have had him do some super clean mods (that cuff swap for example), but I think we’ve become pretty spoiled and high maintenance as a hockey gear community since CPR came around.

Yes I agree. That cuff roll / cuff swap job was for me. Great Job

#36 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:24 PM

Had work done on 2 pair's. Overall work was very good , except on both left glove's. Binding in wrist was not tucked in proper or open end should have been ended under cuff roll. Just open end sewn & left out in open. Was it a left hand thing ?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          med_gallery_1862_1527_446965.jpg                                                                                                                         med_gallery_1862_1527_71948.jpg

Joe was able to find a before picture of the Black ( Hagelin's ) left glove , I bought them on SLS & was able to pull up the listing pictures. They came from the factory like that ( very strange ) , the red glove's( McClements ) were bought on ebay & I was not able to pull up the listing pictures on them. So he give them back to me , the same as he received them. I apologize to Joe. I think this spring / summer , they will go to CPR  for binding color change ( black to vegas gold & red to black ) & done like the right gloves.

#37 ntwusc

ntwusc
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:53 AM

Joe was able to find a before picture of the Black ( Hagelin's ) left glove , I bought them on SLS & was able to pull up the listing pictures. They came from the factory like that ( very strange ) , the red glove's( McClements ) were bought on ebay & I was not able to pull up the listing pictures on them. So he give them back to me , the same as he received them. I apologize to Joe. I think this spring / summer , they will go to CPR  for binding color change ( black to vegas gold & red to black ) & done like the right gloves.

I received custom gloves straight from Eagle that had mismatched binding like that. I wasn't thrilled, but it didn't really affect anything and I chalked it up to being inherent to hand-made, custom manufacturing.

#38 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:59 PM

Well the red one is pretty flappy , the seam can come apart much easier. They will go to CPR  this Spring / Summer for other mod's & have that binding done correct.

#39 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 19 April 2022 - 05:58 PM

Image-1.jpg
Image-2.jpg
Image-3.jpg
Image-4.jpg
Image-5.jpg

Just had a few pairs done by Joe. Haven't received them in the mail yet, but when they get here I'll definitely have to take a closer look

#40 ntwusc

ntwusc
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 April 2022 - 06:15 PM

Is that the cyan Ax Suede on the Edler HSX's?