Photo

Glove fit advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dimpled

dimpled
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:24 AM

Looking for some glove fit advice. Right now I use a pair of retail APX2s. My problem with them is that when I bend my index finger, my finger lands along the gusset or gusset/palm seam. You can see where my index finger and how it pushes against the gusset when bent in the pic below. I also own a pair of pro stock QRLs and a pair of 1S's where the QRL has the same problem but the 1S fixes the problem more or less. However, with the 1S, it is very broken in and doesn't contain poron liners which I think has made it fit too loose for me. 

So, given the situation, what should I do in terms of finding a glove that fits like my APX2's but is narrow enough that I don't have the finger problem. 

1. Find a pair of 1S/MX3's with poron liners

2. Find a different pair of gloves that fit more narrow? I'm thinking quicklite or tacks or HG12? Or other suggestions?

APX2, see index finger

http://www.sports2k....1481_410963.jpg

QRL,

http://www.sports2k....1481_472353.jpg

1S, these are Chris Wideman's if it makes any difference.

http://www.sports2k....1481_276385.jpg

I'm tired of doing the carousel of trying to find a pair of gloves that I like so that's why I'm asking for some advice other than "buy and try all of them".

#2 danglesauce

danglesauce
  • LocationBrooklyn, New York

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:44 AM

IMO the 1S Gloves are the best fitting glove i have ever owned, i tried alot of other gloves but those are my go to, after that the CCM HG97 followed by BAUER APX2

#3 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:00 AM

STX Surgeon 500 (and I assume the new RX3 line since they look very similar) gloves fit very tight in the fingers and backhand, but open up in the cuff area. I haven't tried another pair of gloves with tighter fingers than STX Surgeons. 

#4 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

The finger alignment is an issue I've seen on a fair amount of gloves, and I don't understand how or why it happens.  I've experienced it with MIC Warrior gloves (Luxes, in particular), as well as Bauer.  It's pretty sucky when it happens because it feels bad when you're gripping your stick.  I used to think it was the binding on the finger, but I've removed binding only to find it's still an issue.  I think it just comes down to a manufacturing "defect" of sorts, where the gusset and side index protection are being pulled awkwardly by the way it was all stitched together.

As far as making your gloves more snug, there's a few at-home tricks you can apply before trying to track down different gloves and go through trial & error.  If you have an old pair of gloves laying around, you can pull out the liners and double up in the pair you want tighter.  I've also used craft foam from Michael's Or JoAnn's that is really light and can be cut to fit behind your existing liners to eliminate some of the negative space inside the gloves.  There may be other/better options out there that I'm not aware of, too.  As a quick/temporary/ghetto fix, take a paper towel and fold it over a couple times and stick it behind your liner.  It'll give you an idea of how much additional padding you want in them.

As a final bit of advice based on experience, the Wideman 1S gloves do not feel like a true 13".  I just got a pair of Pontus Aberg 1S and they are much more in line with what I'd expect for a 13" Bauer.  The Wideman's, by comparison, feel like a 13.5" that fit more loosely.  If you can track down a pair of the Aberg's, I think you'll find them plenty snug.

I've gone through a fair amount of gloves over the years, so feel free to ask!

#5 edo

edo

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

I’ve had the same thing happen and NovaHands is bang on there’s something odd with the alignment and a manufacturers defect when constructing the gloves. I’ve had this experience mostly with stretch mesh gussets, but also with Nash on one pair.

I’ve had this issue on HG12’s, CL’s, HG55 and QRL gloves. However the same gloves I’ve also had different pairs that were great and didn’t have this issue

#6 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:13 AM

The finger alignment is an issue I've seen on a fair amount of gloves, and I don't understand how or why it happens.  I've experienced it with MIC Warrior gloves (Luxes, in particular), as well as Bauer.  It's pretty sucky when it happens because it feels bad when you're gripping your stick.  I used to think it was the binding on the finger, but I've removed binding only to find it's still an issue.  I think it just comes down to a manufacturing "defect" of sorts, where the gusset and side index protection are being pulled awkwardly by the way it was all stitched together.

As far as making your gloves more snug, there's a few at-home tricks you can apply before trying to track down different gloves and go through trial & error.  If you have an old pair of gloves laying around, you can pull out the liners and double up in the pair you want tighter.  I've also used craft foam from Michael's Or JoAnn's that is really light and can be cut to fit behind your existing liners to eliminate some of the negative space inside the gloves.  There may be other/better options out there that I'm not aware of, too.  As a quick/temporary/ghetto fix, take a paper towel and fold it over a couple times and stick it behind your liner.  It'll give you an idea of how much additional padding you want in them.

As a final bit of advice based on experience, the Wideman 1S gloves do not feel like a true 13".  I just got a pair of Pontus Aberg 1S and they are much more in line with what I'd expect for a 13" Bauer.  The Wideman's, by comparison, feel like a 13.5" that fit more loosely.  If you can track down a pair of the Aberg's, I think you'll find them plenty snug.

Prolly not the solution you're looking for, but along the lines of what was written above...

I've used poron sheets from amazon to tighten up the backhand and thumb fit of gloves. I order the pads from amazon, they have them in a variety of thicknesses. I then put a piece of paper in the glove (with the liner pulled up) and trace the interior as best I can. I then cut the paper out and see if it fits. If not, I do the process again. If so, I use the paper to cut the pad. I repeat the process for the thumb area. Then I pull off the adhesive backing (the pads come with or without it) and voila. Tighter, reinforced, gloves.

#7 dimpled

dimpled
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:54 PM

IMO the 1S Gloves are the best fitting glove i have ever owned, i tried alot of other gloves but those are my go to, after that the CCM HG97 followed by BAUER APX2

Agreed, I love the sleek look of the 1S and overall the fit seems to agree with me at least when I try on the retail stuff in stores. That's why I jumped on the pair of Widemans since 13'' 1S' are pretty hard to come by.

STX Surgeon 500 (and I assume the new RX3 line since they look very similar) gloves fit very tight in the fingers and backhand, but open up in the cuff area. I haven't tried another pair of gloves with tighter fingers than STX Surgeons. 

I have been considering getting a pair of Surgeons, however, I think the fingers will be too long since I fit in 13'' for most gloves whereas I would have to get a 14'' for Surgeons just to fit my hands. I have a friend that owns a pair of 13'' pro stock surgeons and they're way too tight. Not to mention, finding pro stock Surgeons is sorta a pain in the ass since they're still fairly rare. It's pretty much Giroux and a couple of other guys that wear em so finding specific color ways is tough. 

It seems like this is the best answer. Finding a pair of 13'' 1S was hard enough as it is so I jumped on the Widemans, it's too bad they fit larger than normal. It's too bad I'm not that crafty when it comes to sewing and the like otherwise I would try this more. Also, on those Abergs, I was eyeing them when they went up on PSH a month or two ago and I spent 3/4 hours agonizing on whether or not it was worth spending PSH's ridiculous prices (200$ total with taxes/shipping for a 150$ priced glove :| ). I breathed a sign of relief seeing someone grab them before I fell to temptation but maybe that was a mistake lol. 

I’ve had the same thing happen and NovaHands is bang on there’s something odd with the alignment and a manufacturers defect when constructing the gloves. I’ve had this experience mostly with stretch mesh gussets, but also with Nash on one pair.

I’ve had this issue on HG12’s, CL’s, HG55 and QRL gloves. However the same gloves I’ve also had different pairs that were great and didn’t have this issue

Interesting that the same issue appears to be random. I was thinking that the stretch mesh is definitely one of the main sources of the problem. The nash fingertips on the 1S feels like it makes quite a difference it terms of not stretching out the fingertip too much causing my finger to align incorrectly. 

Prolly not the solution you're looking for, but along the lines of what was written above...

I've used poron sheets from amazon to tighten up the backhand and thumb fit of gloves. I order the pads from amazon, they have them in a variety of thicknesses. I then put a piece of paper in the glove (with the liner pulled up) and trace the interior as best I can. I then cut the paper out and see if it fits. If not, I do the process again. If so, I use the paper to cut the pad. I repeat the process for the thumb area. Then I pull off the adhesive backing (the pads come with or without it) and voila. Tighter, reinforced, gloves.

As far as doing modifications, now that I know that Widemans 1S definitely fit larger relative to normal, I'm going to return these and try to get my hands on a different pair rather than trying to do a mod. However, this is good information if I were to possible try a different glove. I've been considering getting a pair of 13'' HG12's to try out.