Photo

Skate support

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

I have always had a battle finding a happy medium between stiffer lateral ankle support and softer forward flex in a skate.  Seems like you have to have one or the other.  Any work arounds that any one as found (lacing differently, mods to the actual skate)?  Is there a certain model skate that provides something like this?  Thanks.

#2 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 13 June 2019 - 01:16 PM

What have you tried so far? Which skate models? Have you tried anything to try and combat that issue? It helps to know your starting point.

#3 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:18 PM

Been wearing Vapors for the last 5 years or so. X90s and now '17 LTX Pros (I think same boot as the x700). X90s were stiffer which helped with the lateral support, and leaving the top eyelet unlaced helped gain forward flex but also caused some heel lift. LTXs locked my heel in better laced all the way up, forward flex has been decent but still leaves something to be desired and the softer boot is starting to feel really soft side to side.

#4 gosinger

gosinger
  • LocationAustria

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:06 AM

Since you can only make a boot feel softer but not stiffer, I'd suggest starting out with a stiff boot and seeing what you can do for forward flex.

Common suggestions:

* Only slightly tying the top 2 eyelets, but cranking heavily on 4&5, this pulls your heel in. Suggesting wax laces to avoid loosening.

* Skipping 1 or 2 of the top 2 eyelets. Forward flex gets easier, ranging from skipping the 2nd eyelet (noticeable) over skipping the 1st to both.

* Installing a skate lace extender. 55 Flex is out of business, but others exist (example).

* Wearing gel ankle sleeves. By distributing the pressure from the lace better you may feel more comfortable pushing up against it. 

I personally found my sweet-spot for top-end Bauer to be skipping the 1st eyelet and the gel sleeves, with Mako/VH/True it is skipping the 2nd and the sleeves.

#5 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

The last Bauers I wore were the 1998 Vapor 8's. I cut the tongue to get more forward flex out of it, but I also didn't really enjoy that boot at all until it creased throughly around the fourth eyelet from the top. I don't mind a little sideways flex, but I hate minimized forward flex, so I know our preferences don't quite line up.

I'm much more for skates that are lower cut, like the Graf 701 Europa Pros (last appearance of that model in professional play that I know of was Leetch in 1994), Graf 501s, or MLX / VH / True. The Van Horne boots can be customized to allow for different lateral support approaches depending on how you mold them, but I go for a little ankle roll room at the top to mimic the range of motion provided by Grafs. The MLX I skip the top eyelet on, where I don't in Grafs just because they fit so much closer to the foot and the monocoque boot feels more stable under the foot. There's so much support in those I actually feel my forward flex suffers if I lace to the top, even though they're as low cut as my 703's.

For those lower cut boots, I get the lateral support I need from the way they fit from the forefoot to the instep. I feel like the instep being snug provides all of the lateral support I need, which allows for the amount of ankle rotation (both forward and backward as well as side to side) I like to have.

Have you tried the lace wrap around the back of the boot? I see a lot of Vapor wearers that get better forward flex and still lace to the top will wrap the laces back around the boot and tie in front of the second eyelet or between the second and the first eyelet. If you try it, avoid from really cranking on the wrap around the back. Since our skate preferences are so different, there's not much from my approaches that are likely to suit the feeling you're after.

#6 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:11 AM

I have to ask, what level of skater are you? Everyone wants to say "elite" but ultimately that isn't the case. Providing this info along with your height and weight will have more to do than you will know.

#7 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:33 AM

Oh definitely not elite, haha.  Had to work pretty hard to make the AAA squad as a kid, but would lead the AA squad in scoring.  Played a year of D1 club ACHA before taking a couple years off; joined the D3 club team when I got back.  Same sort of relationship between AAA/AA and D1/D3.  Hopefully that gives you an idea.  5' 10", was 165 lb when I was playing.  Regrettably, that was a couple years ago now and now I'm up at 195 lb.

#8 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:42 PM

Something I personally do is skip the second to the top eyelet. So go from 3rd to 1st eyelet. Gives me enough forward flex while still being strong laterally. I've tried skipping the top one but its just not my thing. This is what I've found to work for me. Hope it helps