Socks or no socks?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mziegler

mziegler
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:24 AM

Hey fellas...

Tried no socks in my skates for the first time last night and loved it. thinking about making the full time switch. Wondering if there's any pros or cons to wearing socks vs. going barefoot?

Also had one question... my achilles felt a little bare which was definitely scary. Anyone have any solutions for that? I don't wear long pants either so my legs are kinda bare.

#2 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:54 AM

https://www.hockeyva...on-calf-sleeves

Skated barefoot for many years. Make sure you dry them plenty because there’s no buffer between feet and liner so they tend to stink and a faster rate.

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

#3 dimpled

dimpled
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:56 AM

I wear Thinee's socks which are as close to bare feet as you can get with socks.

#4 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:11 PM

I always wear a pair of cut resistant socks. I prefer not to take a chance.

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#5 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:46 PM

When I first added speed plates to my skates, my normal socks caused the side seam of the toe cap to rub my foot really bad and since I didn't have another set of socks in my bag I skated barefoot for the rest of the game. Wasn't a fan. From a germ perspective, I think it's gross (my feet sweat a lot and get stinky). Got rid of speed plates and now use super feet which allow me to thin wear socks. I alternate between a few pair of ultra thin Darn Tough socks (lifetime replacement for holes)

#6 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 03:20 PM

as someone that sharpens skates let me tell you, the skates of people who skate barefoot are the worst. I had one friend who, every time she gave me her skates to sharpen I had to drive home with the skates in a bag with all the car windows open. after sharpening them sometimes I'd have to leave them on the front porch because I could smell them from the basement.  :vomit:

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#7 markov94

markov94
  • LocationSarnia Ont,...then Lakeland FLA....then back to Sarnia

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:20 PM

I like the Thinnies it feels barefoot...without skate rot....

#8 mziegler

mziegler
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:43 PM

Consensus seems to be the the stink is the biggest con? I think I'll go for the sleeve and continue to air and lysol my skates after each use. I really like the lock I got from going barefoot... I find socks are slippery and I had more control without them.

#9 dimpled

dimpled
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:49 PM

. I alternate between a few pair of ultra thin Darn Tough socks (lifetime replacement for holes)

Are these the ones branded as "Ultra-light"? I might get a few of these. The problem with the thinees is that they start pilling quickly and the fibers start sticking to itself. Any downsides to the Darn Tough socks other than the price?

#10 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:27 PM

Consensus seems to be the the stink is the biggest con? I think I'll go for the sleeve and continue to air and lysol my skates after each use. I really like the lock I got from going barefoot... I find socks are slippery and I had more control without them.

Lysol and a boot dryer do wonders

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

#11 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 16 July 2019 - 06:57 PM

Are these the ones branded as "Ultra-light"? I might get a few of these. The problem with the thinees is that they start pilling quickly and the fibers start sticking to itself. Any downsides to the Darn Tough socks other than the price?

Yeah, I think these are the ones I have: https://darntough.co...ant=36488771911

I, personally, haven’t experienced any problems with them, but I also haven’t used thinnies to be able to compare them. Darn Tough does offer 90 day returns if you’re not happy so there really isn’t anything to lose