Photo

Good place to get skates sharpened near DC?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:27 PM

I live right next door to Kettler (Medstar) which is where the Capitals practice. In the past I haven't had problems dropping my skates off there to get sharpened. Just picked up a new set of black steel and they shaved off a TON on the heel and toe!

Here’s. Photo of them stacked on top of a brand new pair of LS3. Both sharpened at 9/16 and what's supposed to be a 10' radius.

I don't know if they shortened the radius or what the hell they did, but I'm not exactly pleased with the result so I'm looking for recommendations on other places to get my steel sharpened
1564781013651-vi.jpg

I'm wondering if it's even worth complaining

#2 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:04 PM

I'm wondering if it's even worth complaining

It is. They butchered that steel. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#3 dimpled

dimpled
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:47 PM

I've had good experiences going to pure hockey in Rockville during the weekday. Try to catch them when they're not super busy(Friday to Sunday) and they'll do a good job.

#4 mjpisat

mjpisat

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:03 AM

Reston skate quest

#5 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

I've never actually been to that rink, but it's right next door to my office so that would be convenient. Thank you

Reston skate quest

I did speak with the manager at the pro shop and he offered to provide me new Bladetech steel at no charge. I can't seem to find any reviews or feedback on their product outside of their website. Does anyone have any experience with Bladetech and how it compares to Step? 

#6 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:44 PM

I wouldn’t settle for anything less than what they ruined: a new set of Blacksteel.

Custom everything.

#7 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:29 AM

I purchased a new set of Step Blacksteel from a member here. The pro shop gave me a set of Bladetech. Obviously sharpened both the new Step and Bladetech at no charge. I'll probably sell the butchered pair of Step to recover costs of buying a second set and will use the Bladetech as backup steel.

There's one primary person at the pro shop that I've since had good dialogue with since the incident and he also skates Step blacksteel. He gave me his cell and said whenever I need a sharpening to make sure he does it