Photo

VH/True vs. Mako

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:22 PM

A lot of the concepts between the two seem very similar: extremely formable, skate supporting proper skating posture, flexible tendon gaurd, etc.
Obviously Trues have an inside track on fit if ordered from your very own scan, and I would imagine that the Makos would be much softer compared to VHs.

Has anyone had experience with both that can compare and contrast skate performance?

Also, has anyone had a BAD experience buying VHs second hand? I can imagine finding a secondhand pair and totally wasting money if they were built to a foot that was totally different than yours (eg. having a vapor-ish foot and buying a pair fit for someone closer to a nexus)

Thanks

#2 gosinger

gosinger
  • LocationAustria

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:41 PM

Went from the Mako 2 to a pair of 2nd hand VH skates. The fit is similar, but the protection is just so much better. In my Makos I hated blocking shots, the VH have no issue at-all (even without the added shotblocker option).

I got a used pair from a player that used the same size Vapor skates I did before the Mako, and his fit is working perfectly for me.

So if you're in the Mako, treat yourself to some VH/True, it is an amazing skate and I'll definitely get some made specifically for me once I get the chance.

#3 blazer88

blazer88
  • Locationlong island n.y

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:13 PM

A lot of the concepts between the two seem very similar: extremely formable, skate supporting proper skating posture, flexible tendon gaurd, etc.
Obviously Trues have an inside track on fit if ordered from your very own scan, and I would imagine that the Makos would be much softer compared to VHs.

Has anyone had experience with both that can compare and contrast skate performance?

Also, has anyone had a BAD experience buying VHs second hand? I can imagine finding a secondhand pair and totally wasting money if they were built to a foot that was totally different than yours (eg. having a vapor-ish foot and buying a pair fit for someone closer to a nexus)

Thanks

Bought a pair of new 2016 Vh's , that were scanned for some one else's foot. Seller listed as 7.5D ( my Bauer / Ccm off the shelf size ). Asked A lot of questions & took a week to pick them up. Had them baked & they are AWESOME. Asked the same question you did on here & 4 or 5 guys said they all worked out great.

#4 rusty88

rusty88
  • LocationHamilton, Ontario

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:05 PM

I had the OG mako and the only things i like better is the Mako had a bit tighter heel cup, flexible tendon guard, and the tongue.  I swear it the tongue felt like it had gel padding in it. The VH/True skate seems more solid and more protective (I have normal build no extra shot protection) however.

#5 sharks_throwaway

sharks_throwaway
  • LocationTallmadge, OH

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:53 PM

Never wore Makos, but I opted for the extra protection in my Trues and have taken some stingers that probably would have resulted in some real nasty bruising without it.

#6 z1ggy16

z1ggy16

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

Thanks

Previously had Mako II & now I am in True's.

Firs thing I'd like to let you know is the tendon guard on True is NOT flexible, in fact it is mega stiff. Honestly in general the True boot is just stiffer and more firm all over. The Mako is more comfortable, but less protective and after about 5 years, I felt the boot was breaking down pretty badly. Aside from literally almost all my rivets falling out, the boot just seemed to be coming apart...eyelets starting to break, tongue ripping, etc. I feel like my True's are essentially indestructible. I hung my skates upside down after every skate, took my footbeds out and everything.

I would not advise you to buy VH or True second hand as the boot is highly fit to each persons foot and I think it will be a waste of your money to blind buy them. I can say though the True's are a much better skate than Mako's ever were. Assuming you don't fit that well into any retail skate, I would highly recommend the True's. I owned FT1 and FT2 for a short time, and paid the same price for my True's and they are a better more comfortable fit. They also put you into a better hockey stance and come with better steel.

#7 Cosmic

Cosmic

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:09 PM

Never tried VH, but if anyone is looking at this thread and interested in Mako 2 sized 10EE, then I just posted in the Gear section:

http://www.sports2k....n-kayes-gloves/

My take on Makos- had the OG Makos and they rubbed the hell out of the outside back of my ankles, there was a word for it back then- Mako burn or Mako bumps or rash or something. I was in 10.5 - too big.

Went with 10.00 EE Mako 2s (the ones for sale) and absolutely loved them at first, then the buttery soft insides packed out a bit and they were too big.

Then I got a pair of 9.5EE Mako M8 (one step below Mako 2)- sizing is right, so I am wearing these until they fall apart. Hopefully by then, VH will have stock models (like they already have in Junior) that are nice and easy to bake, with integrated shot blockers. I do not need custom skates; my feet ain't that special, so no sense anything up for them. 

I absolutely love Makos. Never tried any other skates since my "comeback" except for one step below top of the line Supreme NXGs, which I absolutely hated (like 5 years ago or so). They just killed my feet and were horribly uncomfortable. 

Had a look at the VH (True) skates at Hockey Monkey the other day- they look perfect, but I am not shelling out a grand for skates until I own a house.

"It's not cool to take damage." - Floyd

#8 konglung

konglung

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:09 AM

I wore the original MAKO and Im in Bauer 2X Pro now. I tried my teammates' mako once and was extremely impressed and ordered mine right away.

It really felt like a pair of sneakers rather than a pair of skates. It was really the one-piece boot feeling skates that I've tried tho Ive never tried CCM one-piece boot. It can corner really hard as well. 

However, I felt that there is not enough lateral stability perhaps bc the tendon guard is flexible and the boot is not stiff enough. Backward crossover and transition were more difficult compared to conventional skates.

#9 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:18 AM

I wore the original MAKO and Im in Bauer 2X Pro now. I tried my teammates' mako once and was extremely impressed and ordered mine right away.

It really felt like a pair of sneakers rather than a pair of skates. It was really the one-piece boot feeling skates that I've tried tho Ive never tried CCM one-piece boot. It can corner really hard as well. 

However, I felt that there is not enough lateral stability perhaps bc the tendon guard is flexible and the boot is not stiff enough. Backward crossover and transition were more difficult compared to conventional skates.

Having owned the original Mako and the Mako II and M7, I can tell you that the OG Mako is softer. If you can find a Mako II, M8 or M7 in your size and want something a bit stiffer than the OG Mako; grab them. 

#10 z1ggy16

z1ggy16

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:44 AM

Having owned the original Mako and the Mako II and M7, I can tell you that the OG Mako is softer. If you can find a Mako II, M8 or M7 in your size and want something a bit stiffer than the OG Mako; grab them. 

Mako II is still soft compared to the 2x Pro and True. It's a whole other issue if the player really needs a stiff skate or not, but if you're just trying to compare boot stiffness, the Mako II is still softer.

Also, I have a pair of Mako II for sale, but not yet listed in forums. Size 8.5D, message me for details.

#11 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:56 PM

You're right, the stock retail Mako II's are stiffer than the OG Makos, but not as stiff as the True, Supertacks, 2x Pro, 2s Pro and other skates. I do have a pair of extra stiff pro stock Mako II's that I haven't used yet, but find that the stock Mako II's are stiff enough for me despite the fact that I'm 6'2" and around 225lb and a decent skater. I did find the OG Makos a little too soft for my tastes - comfortable, but not as supportive or durable as I would've liked. I have no complaints about the Mako II's stiffness though (or the converted M7's I use for rolller).