Photo

Socks over tendon guard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 konglung

konglung

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:32 AM

Kind of a stupid question...I've been noticing a lot of NHL players having their socks wrapped over tendon guards lately.

The first question I got is that wouldn't it inhibit their forward flex as the socks is pulling your leg in the opposite direction when you bend your knees? Anyone doing this can kindly explain why you prefer to do this?

And many nhl players have their socks wrapped so nicely that there is no space or crease between the calf and the tendon guard even when they skate. I tried this at home and the socks always got pulled down. Is there a particular way to do this?

https://media.gettyi...690?s=2048x2048

https://media.gettyi...982?s=2048x2048\

https://media.gettyi...562?s=2048x2048

https://imgur.com/58RKFnl

#2 AARONSWORLD

AARONSWORLD

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:43 AM

Pro socks are a lot thicker and stiffer feeling because they are kevlar lined. If you are using a basic, cheap thin sock, it will show a lot more creases. Also, you want to make sure the hem around the ankle is still tight on your socks. Over time, the ankle binding can get loose (especially if the socks aren't high quality).

As for performance, it doesn't inhibit your forward flex because you aren't taping around the back tendon guard and tongue. So you still have that room for flex. Guys have been putting their socks over the tendons for a long time. First player I remember growing up watching who did this was Fedorov 

white-skates.png

#3 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:01 PM

Pro socks are a lot thicker and stiffer feeling because they are kevlar lined. If you are using a basic, cheap thin sock, it will show a lot more creases. Also, you want to make sure the hem around the ankle is still tight on your socks. Over time, the ankle binding can get lose (especially if the socks aren't high quality).

As for performance, it doesn't inhibit your forward flex because you aren't taping around the back tendon guard and tongue. So you still have that room for flex. Guys have been putting their socks over the tendons for a long time. First player I remember growing up watching who did this was Fedorov

white-skates.png

Fedorov usually didn’t have his socks over his tendon guards. 91% of the time he taped his tendon guards. Around ‘92,’93, ‘94 he didn’t always tape his tendon guards, but he would tape the bottom of his shins and leave the tendon guard exposed.

Around ‘01, ‘02 he would sometimes tape his tendon guard under the sock, pull the sock over the taped tendon guard and then tape again over the sock and already taped tendon guard.

His skating was always ridiculous regardless of how he taped or laced his skates. In video of him without tape he does seem a bit less smooth in his acceleration and crossovers.

#4 AARONSWORLD

AARONSWORLD

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:55 PM

Thank you for the Fedorov sock & tape history lesson  :headbang:

#5 konglung

konglung

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the explanation! I have been noticing more 'skills guys' rocking this kind of style. Players like Kane, Kucherov, Keller, matthews, Panarin all have been using this. 

#6 flip12

flip12

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:44 AM

Thank you for the Fedorov sock & tape history lesson :headbang:

I’ve spent way too much time analyzing his set up along with P. Bure’s and Mogilny’s.

I wanted to post some examples with Fedorov’s different tendon guard schemes, but I haven’t had a chance to dig them up yet.

In general, I think the tendon guard on hockey skates is strange. It’s less than optimal for protection and maybe for performance as well.

#7 flip12

flip12

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:46 AM

Thanks for the explanation! I have been noticing more 'skills guys' rocking this kind of style. Players like Kane, Kucherov, Keller, matthews, Panarin all have been using this.

Panarin also tapes his tendon guard, so it’s not quite the same as the others.

#8 AnimalFear

AnimalFear

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:54 PM

I heard that more guys are doing it because it helps reduce the likelihood of a skate cut.  With the tendon guards out, a skate blade can get between the tendon guard and the ankle.