Photo

Future of Gear

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kimo91

Kimo91

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:48 PM

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what they want the next steps to be for gear development, maybe some of the biggest set backs in current gear design.  I feel like we have enough articulate people, not to mention retailers and team equipment managers, who have some frustration with some piece of equipment that has yet to be addressed by a manufacturer.

"It would be great if ____ could do ____."

#2 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

Modern shin pads wouldn't explode after 3 shot blocks.

Custom everything.

#3 number_22

number_22

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:36 AM

Not really a concern or wish, but I think gear development will advance further in terms of custom made products. For now it‘s just skates and sticks, but I definitely think, there‘s potential in custom protective equipment, tailored to players needs.

#4 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:57 AM

Not really a concern or wish, but I think gear development will advance further in terms of custom made products. For now it‘s just skates and sticks, but I definitely think, there‘s potential in custom protective equipment, tailored to players needs.

100% agreed.

#5 Moose

Moose

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:12 AM

How long until gear hits a price point at the retail level that makes the game virtually impossible to play at the grassroots level. It’s almost there now. The years I spent coaching AAA hockey I saw kids with $250 sticks, $700 skates, etc.

I grew up in a middle class family but we were closer to scrapping by than coasting through life. If I were 14 years old now, there’s no way my parents could afford even mid level gear.

Just my rant.

#6 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

How long until gear hits a price point at the retail level that makes the game virtually impossible to play at the grassroots level. It’s almost there now. The years I spent coaching AAA hockey I saw kids with $250 sticks, $700 skates, etc.

I grew up in a middle class family but we were closer to scrapping by than coasting through life. If I were 14 years old now, there’s no way my parents could afford even mid level gear.

Just my rant.

not just gear, ice time too. our local beer league just toppled over $500 per season. 20 games (25:00 run time periods) plus playoffs and it's getting harder for the average player to afford the fees. we have one rink here in ATL in particular that keeps raising the cost of ice time but the quality of the ice and other facilities gets worse. 

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#7 sharks_throwaway

sharks_throwaway
  • LocationTallmadge, OH

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:22 PM

not just gear, ice time too. our local beer league just toppled over $500 per season. 20 games (25:00 run time periods) plus playoffs and it's getting harder for the average player to afford the fees. we have one rink here in ATL in particular that keeps raising the cost of ice time but the quality of the ice and other facilities gets worse.

Yup. I’m about to shell out $40 so my wife and I can go to an hour of stick time with about 25 kids and a handful of adults. Good times.

#8 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:28 AM

Yup. I’m about to shell out $40 so my wife and I can go to an hour of stick time with about 25 kids and a handful of adults. Good times.

Do your stick times allow for coaches to do private lessons on 1/4-1/2 of the ice?

Because ours do out here and it’s tilting.

Custom everything.

#9 sharks_throwaway

sharks_throwaway
  • LocationTallmadge, OH

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

Do your stick times allow for coaches to do private lessons on 1/4-1/2 of the ice?

Because ours do out here and it’s tilting.

Depends on the rink... but yah, some of them sure do. Most of the time they’re pretty courteous about it and try to take up as little space as possible.

#10 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:41 PM

I would imagine the trend will continue to be lighter, more protective and form fitting gear. 

#11 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:57 AM

Well, I haven’t played in over 2 months now after taking a shot off the inside of my custom $1500 skates. Maybe a built in foot protection that isn’t too heavy but actually works would be nice

#12 z1ggy16

z1ggy16

Posted 11 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

Possibly OEM's using scans to custom fit ALL gear to a player, and maybe using 3D printing to do that? I'd love totally custom shins because I find that A) Most shins are either way too skinny for my thick calves/shins or B) massive and bulky because I need to go up a size usually.

Getting a fully custom fit shin that matches my leg perfectly would be pretty cool. Same with shoulder pads.