Photo

Bauer Nexus ADV

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Cavs019

Cavs019

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:50 PM

That TJ!

I’d have to throw a white strip over the top also so it at least looks normal from directly overhead.

#22 AARONSWORLD

AARONSWORLD

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:21 AM

Hit the ice with the twig for 2 hours this afternoon and I must say the hype of the slingshot blade is real. It is by far the best shooting stick I have ever used. Shots literally fly off this thing. I have never used a stick that loads this easily. The slingshot blade almost made the stick feel too whippy (you feel the blade bending back when shooting) however I was not complaining due to the velocity and accuracy I was getting. Load time on wrist and snapshots feel so effortless that you will feel you should go up in flex. Couple times I had to look and inspect the blade closely after shots because I thought it snapped/broke. Definitely not a good feeling lol. Nexus ADV is the ultimate shooters stick. 

With that said, the downfall of the Nexus ADV is the lack of maneuverability while stickhandling. It feels a lot heftier and heavier (compared to the Vapor ADV) while stick-handling due to the 5 sided ridge design. I am positive that they did this to increase durability, however it affects the weight and overall balance of the stick. The weight of the stick feels like its in the back of the stick, due to the concaves being in the back. The front of the stick is flat. This is how I believe the entire "slingshot" mechanism is utilized throughout the stick. Thankfully Bauer did not put the sonic boom taper on the Nexus ADV, therefore it is not as "bottom heavy" feeling as the Supreme ADV. I just wish Bauer made the stick 4 normal rounded corners like the Vapor, but I understand Bauer wants to implement new design features and increase durability.

If they put this Slingshot blade on the Vapor ADV, it is over... That is the perfect stick. Perfect meaning performance, not durability. But we all know by now, you don't buy an ADV for durability. It is made for performance. I still believe the Vapor ADV is a better overall stick than the Nexus ADV. Shooting is the only aspect the Nexus outshines the Vapor in. 

Like 99% of us, I was very skeptical at first about the whole "hole in the blade" technology (no pun intended). But I am happy to see that it actually works and it is not a gimmick. It will be interesting to see how fast it will take for the blade to go soft/break.

gallery_11726_1417_114475.jpg

I originally only bought 1. But after using it on the ice, I knew I had to grab a few backups before they sold out. My local shop only got 1 of each curve & flex, so I ended up grabbing more from different locations. First tape job also didn't last long on the ice, started peeling off on the bottom, so I changed it up. Going to try different tape jobs and see which ones feel/play/last the best.

#23 AARONSWORLD

AARONSWORLD

Posted 26 January 2020 - 02:02 AM

What flexs and curves are they offering it in

50, 55, 65, 70, 77, 87

P92, P28, P88

That TJ!

I’d have to throw a white strip over the top also so it at least looks normal from directly overhead.

Yup it definitely makes a difference when looking down

#24 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for the input! I’m out of the country until Saturday, I know my local shop has my specs. Hopefully no one buys it out.

Custom everything.

#25 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:09 AM

Great review. I need to try it soon.

If only they made P91A :D

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#26 AARONSWORLD

AARONSWORLD

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:17 PM

I just weighed my Vapor ADV & Nexus ADV on a professional grade scale at Canada Post. Same exact specs & height. To my surprise, the Nexus ADV actually weighs 5 grams less than the Vapor. I would have bet money the Nexus ADV was heavier than the Vapor ADV before hand.

Vapor ADV: 343 grams

Nexus ADV: 338 grams

Just goes to show you how important balance is. The Vapor ADV is so much better balanced imo and feels like nothing in your hands while stickhandling. However, I know guys that hate super light sticks. Therefore they will definitely like the "beefier" feeling of the Nexus ADV more than the Vapor. I am surprised to see a handful of players in the NHL using actual Supreme ADVs with the sonic boom tapers. I thought for sure NHL players would think that taper is a joke. I guess it's safe to say Bauers controversial technology is actually catching on around the league and not just purely marketing BS. 

Thanks for the input! I’m out of the country until Saturday, I know my local shop has my specs. Hopefully no one buys it out.

Because you are a fan of the 1NXL and not the Vapor ADV, I'm pretty confident you will like the Nexus ADV  :up:

#27 Hawk11

Hawk11

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:14 PM

Would you rather play with the Nexus ADV or the regular Vapor Flylite

#28 Adam

Adam

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

The Sonic boom taper is a development of what Easton was working on when they were sold. It’s just an improvement on what was on the Stealth line starting with the S17. At the pro level a lot of those eastons did quite well so it shouldn’t be all the surprising.

#29 wobblypops

wobblypops

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:16 PM

I finally tried my 2NPROXL and absolutely loved it. Shot, stickhandling, passing all improved for me a tonne.

Hoping you get your hands on one of these for a review Aaron because I can't come close to giving as detailed a review as you.

looking for Dallas/Texas Stars & UND Fighting Sioux gear

#30 AARONSWORLD

AARONSWORLD

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:39 AM

Would you rather play with the Nexus ADV or the regular Vapor Flylite

Definitely the Nexus ADV. I am not a fan of the "bottom heavy" feeling elliptical tapers add. I don't think it benefits a low kick stick at all. The FlyLite should have kept a normal taper like the 1x lite & 1x. Bauer actually sent me a free FlyLite and I ended up selling it. I think it is the worst Vapor stick within the last 5-8 years. 

Vapor ADV > 1x lite > 1x > APX2 > Flylite

Only thing I like about the FlyLite is the paint job, it looks good. Especially in all the different custom colors.

I finally tried my 2NPROXL and absolutely loved it. Shot, stickhandling, passing all improved for me a tonne.

Hoping you get your hands on one of these for a review Aaron because I can't come close to giving as detailed a review as you.

I definitely would like to try one out in my specs. I've heard nothing but good things about the 1NXL & 2NPROXL. Theres a reason why a ton of Bauer pros are using XL version of sticks these days. Including the 2SPROXL. Hopefully Bauer releases these sticks to the public so they are easily accessible. 

#31 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:24 AM

Just picked one up. Will let you guys know how it plays this afternoon...

gallery_11726_1417_103844.jpg
gallery_11726_1417_100737.jpg

Sick TJ, which episode of savard’s “taping twigs” is this?

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#32 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 28 January 2020 - 06:52 AM

I had a chance to use one last night.

Definitely the best shooting stick ive ever had,even if it was a P88 and I normally use P91A.

Love it.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#33 nicholas_g

nicholas_g

Posted 28 January 2020 - 02:41 PM

Definitely the Nexus ADV. I am not a fan of the "bottom heavy" feeling elliptical tapers add. I don't think it benefits a low kick stick at all. The FlyLite should have kept a normal taper like the 1x lite & 1x. Bauer actually sent me a free FlyLite and I ended up selling it. I think it is the worst Vapor stick within the last 5-8 years. 

Vapor ADV > 1x lite > 1x > APX2 > Flylite

Only thing I like about the FlyLite is the paint job, it looks good. Especially in all the different custom colors.

I definitely would like to try one out in my specs. I've heard nothing but good things about the 1NXL & 2NPROXL. Theres a reason why a ton of Bauer pros are using XL version of sticks these days. Including the 2SPROXL. Hopefully Bauer releases these sticks to the public so they are easily accessible. 

2NPROXL is a beauty!

All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. 
- Gordie Howe

#34 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 30 January 2020 - 06:33 PM

Hey Aaron how was the puck feel?

Custom everything.

#35 AARONSWORLD

AARONSWORLD

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:23 PM

Hey Aaron how was the puck feel?

Puck feel is average. Not bad, not great. I am not a fan of the 5 point shaft dimension, which is why I wish they just made the shaft normal. Stick handling would feel so much better and the balance would improve. But then again me and you might have different opinions towards puck feel in general, because I love the feel on the Vapor ADV and you don't.

#36 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:03 PM

True. I guess on a scale of 1X Lite to Supreme 2S where would you place it?

Custom everything.

#37 AARONSWORLD

AARONSWORLD

Posted 30 January 2020 - 10:36 PM

Based on what I have tried, I would say the blade feel is a mix of 1X Lite & Nexus 2N Pro. I never tried a Supreme 2S so I can't compare. 

#38 konglung

konglung

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:41 AM

luckily they dont make the p10 option available in retail. if not im broke  :rofl:

#39 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:08 PM

Nice write up. I don’t know how you guys afford all these sticks! I bought four Vapor ADV painted as 1X Lite, and I’m hoping they last the next 10 years... LOL

#40 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:51 PM

That sh*t gets expensive :LOL: