Photo

Looking for shin pad advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alexras10

Alexras10

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

I currently have a pair of old school Jofa JDP 3000 14 inch shin pads. I do not like them at all, as I feel like they don’t bend easily so I don’t have good mobility. They have only one strap, so they always fall down even with using quite a bit of sock tape. What’s the best options out there for comfort, mobility, and double strapped that don’t move! TIA

#2 Moose

Moose

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:00 PM

Do you use the old knit socks by chance? I find the newer edge style and pro stock socks are tighter and hold my Jofa’s better in place.

#3 xstartxtodayx

xstartxtodayx
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

Go to a store and try some on.  They all fit slightly different so find one that sits best on your shin and knee and it'll stay in place better once taped up.  I've had several pairs over the years, Vapors, Tacks, etc. and currently have a pair of 8K Pros that fit me like a glove, no straps at all on them and they don't budge all game once taped up (and I use less tape on these than older pads, only two wraps just under the knee).

If you're shopping just based on straps, the Tacks line has a pretty massive strap around the calf and thin one under the knee.

- Jon

#4 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:34 PM

I have older Jofas like the 7Ks. They’re amazing in fit and function. I wear knit socks but keep my shins up with just the narrow straps on the outside of my shin, Soviet style. After 8 or so hours they were broken in and felt amazing.

#5 blazer88

blazer88
  • Locationlong island n.y

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:03 PM

I always loved the easton EQ pro's , been looking for a pro stock pair in 14's

#6 konglung

konglung

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:24 AM

Im using the Vapor 1X shin. It has a piece at the bottom which flexes with you while you making a deep knee bend. The shin is extremely light but I heard it isnt very durable tho. But I dont block shots and i dont play too aggressively. hope it helps. 

#7 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:52 AM

Im using the Vapor 1X shin. It has a piece at the bottom which flexes with you while you making a deep knee bend. The shin is extremely light but I heard it isnt very durable tho. But I dont block shots and i dont play too aggressively. hope it helps.

I’ve been using the same for the last two seasons and love them. Tried the 1X lite but was not a fan

#8 Alexras10

Alexras10

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:37 AM

Thank you guys!

#9 z1ggy16

z1ggy16

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:02 AM

Not sure if you're looking brand new or what... but don't get 1s shins. I got some off SSL and I took a mild shot off them and thought my leg was broke. Nothing like my old Supreme One.80's which are tanks. They are falling apart but I'm probably switching back into them until I find something else. A friend told me the new 2s Pro is much better.