Photo

Post COVID-19 hockey?

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#181 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 09 October 2020 - 05:39 AM

After being back on the ice for two weeks in a row, cases are on the rise here, our government has put a stop to all team sports activities until october 28. :(

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#182 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:16 PM

New Hampshire has shut down rinks for 2 weeks to be reevaluated. Rumor has it Mass is next. Hopefully not the case, this weekend will be a telltale sign

#183 Chow_hound

Chow_hound

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:52 PM

In Canada one of the main news outlets has declared beer league hockey a superspreader activity. Likely means we will see continued closures.

#184 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:30 PM

Already no longer permitted in Ontario.

#185 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:53 PM

Already no longer permitted in Ontario.

I thought it was just Ottawa, York, Peel and Toronto? That covers some heavily populated areas, but I think people in say Durham, Hamilton, London, Windsor ect. can still play. I'm in Toronto and yes, games and scrimmages aren't allowed here, but I didn't think that was the case for the whole province. 

#186 Moose

Moose

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:27 AM

Our league is continuing (Stoney Creek) currently. Same with a Sunday night fun league out of the same arena

#187 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:26 PM

I thought it was just Ottawa, York, Peel and Toronto? That covers some heavily populated areas, but I think people in say Durham, Hamilton, London, Windsor ect. can still play. I'm in Toronto and yes, games and scrimmages aren't allowed here, but I didn't think that was the case for the whole province. 

You are correct. Matter of time I imagine, though.

#188 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:49 PM

New Hampshire has shut down rinks for 2 weeks to be reevaluated. Rumor has it Mass is next. Hopefully not the case, this weekend will be a telltale sign

we are skating on the north shore and mid boston.  Things are iffy though

#189 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 20 October 2020 - 03:31 PM

WOrcester Ice Center just put restrictions to no viewers because the 1 parent rule was abused. I have been at NESC and it seems ok but they had people from the state there all weekend making sure guidelines were being followed

#190 denisjr

denisjr

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:14 AM

My province has had super strict travel restriction and we have been lucky enough to have days where we have not had any active covid-19 cases and we have been able to play hockey since July, however two weeks ago we had a large outbreak due to someone travelling and not self-isolating so everything was shut down for two weeks, looks like we will be able to resume on Friday but I have a feeling this won't be the last of hockey shutdowns this winter.

We have not had a single case linked to organize sports as of yet that we are aware of.

#191 nhlfan79

nhlfan79
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:41 AM

Y'all can all come play here in Georgia, where my (and Shoeshine's) league operates pretty much like there is no pandemic.  You might need to wear a mask to enter the facility, but once you're on the ice, it's the normal full benches and no other alterations to otherwise normal game rules.  If you catch it, get sick and/or die, you assumed the risk by participating.  You will need to put blind trust that the rinks are taking appropriate sanitation precautions, and some facilities are not being fully transparent what those steps would be anyway.  Oh, the league says it will tell you if you participated in a game with an infected player, but a player's obligation to report a positive test to the league is done only on the honor system.  And if you test positive, only you would have to quarantine, not the rest of your team (or your opponents).

Given those rules, many like me have chosen to sit out at this time, but many others are comfortable enough to keep playing.  I miss seeing my friends, and hope they all stay healthy in the meantime.

#192 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:50 PM

yep. our league is in a tough spot. we're independent so as long as the rinks are allowed to be open, we're playing. if we didn't, the league would likely go bankrupt because we'd still have to pay for the ice whether we skated or not.

I've made the decision to go back. I am wearing the CCM Game On system in games. I tried the Bauer Splash guard but it wasn't very good. one of our rinks has some very tiny locker rooms. during a friend's game a couple of weeks ago they were expected to cram 15 skaters and a goalie in a locker room that's built for maybe 8-10 comfortably without COVID precautions.

what's really bothering me is that the 4th periods have resumed as if nothing's changed. I know it's outdoors but people are wearing no masks and standing WAY closer to each other than 6 feet.   :eek:

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#193 tyson_two

tyson_two

Posted 21 October 2020 - 02:25 PM

As of last thursday (Oct 15 2020), Oakville ASHL was still playing games.  Still modifed 4 on 4 format.

#194 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:26 PM

what's really bothering me is that the 4th periods have resumed as if nothing's changed. I know it's outdoors but people are wearing no masks and standing WAY closer to each other than 6 feet. :eek:

That reminds me of a summer tournament I officiated in Toronto. Only players, officials and coaches were allowed in the building, plus one representative per team to stream the game with their phone.

Everyone came into the rinks with masks, used sanitizer at the front and the coaches and people filming wore masks the whole time (players and refs didn't wear them on the ice). Play was modified so there were no faceoffs ect. Sounds pretty good right? Well, the problem I saw was in the parking lot. Parents were all huddled together, many without masks, to watch streams on TV's people had on RVs ect. Or just gathered around in groups talking way closer than 6 feet apart. I know it was outdoors, but it didn't seem smart.

As of last thursday (Oct 15 2020), Oakville ASHL was still playing games. Still modifed 4 on 4 format.

Yes, I have received emails from the Ashl promoting a tournament style round robin with games in either Oakville or Oshawa. It's expensive and quite a drive for me so I am going to pass on that, but I am sure some people from Toronto are driving to Oakville or Durham to play. I suspect the restrictions may be extended to Oakville, Durham and more soon though. Ford usually announces things like that on Friday afternoon; so we will see on Friday.

#195 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:08 PM

Mass is shutting down hockey for two weeks beginning tomorrow.

#196 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:20 PM

Definitely have to build a rink again this year and hope for colder weather. My son just got back on the ice last weekend after 12 weeks out with a broken forearm. Now the rinks shut down again. Supposedly 2 weeks Kev but we shall see. This sucks

#197 FatTire10

FatTire10

Posted 23 October 2020 - 10:00 AM

Here in southern CT our team manager who is co-league manager remarked that he thinks the state will shut us down again at some point during the season. No specific reasons yet beyond cases are on the rise again.

#198 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:44 PM

We had clusters reported here in MA. I blame the adults more than the kids. Just pure disrespect of the guidelines set. Now we are shut down, yes the whole mask thing sucks but keeping them on, or actually wearing them at all could have kept our rinks opened.

#199 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:48 AM

I tried the CCM Game On mask earlier this week on the ice.

https://www.triohock...me-on-200121-en

Im very surprised of how it performs.

Also tried the Bauer Splash Guard and it fogs up very quickly.

Anyone else tried any of these?

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#200 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:49 AM

I have the CCM mask and as far as masks go not bad. The factvthat it doesn't fit completely against your face makes it doable as there is room to breathe. Not sure it fits like a mask that is Covid safe but it works for Hockey. The splash guard got booted from youth hockey as not meeting the standards required. Didnt read all the details just received the notification