Photo

Post COVID-19 hockey?

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#21 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:08 AM

I can say with 100% certainty that my local arena will not be complying with half of that.  They are notorious for cutting corners.

#22 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:05 PM

some of the rinks here in Atlanta are opening for small group lessons. they have a lot of rules. they are hoping to have travel tryouts in 2 weeks. they're requiring kids to show up already dressed.

some of our adult league players were wanting to do that but I think that's ridiculous. kids are being driven to the rink, not driving themselves. I know that I don't want to drive 30 minutes each way in full gear in Georgia in late Spring.

our adult league has pushed the restart back to June 13th. the way we read the Governor's Public Health Emergency, we don't have a choice.

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#23 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:03 PM

I was going to ask that too. How are you supposed to get dressed at home? I come to the rink with my base layers on, but that's basically work out gear. What else can you put on and still drive? I'm not about to put my shoulders and elbows on first before putting my shins or pants on. Makes no sense. Is the alternative to get dressed out of my trunk in the parking lot? But even then, all dressed except skates... where's my parent to put my skates on and tie them like when I was a mite? Don't think there's anyway I can do that with all my gear on.

#24 airmaxone95

airmaxone95
  • LocationOntario

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:27 PM

when you guys say you wash your gear, you mean like throwing in your gloves, shoulders, elbows, shin pad liners?

i mostly just wash my under wear and socks as often as i can.

i don't know how you guys can go without showering after a skate. obviously flops is a must, but just the thought of getting into your car all sweaty even if you wipe yourself and wash your hands. to each their own i guess.

#25 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:14 PM

when you guys say you wash your gear, you mean like throwing in your gloves, shoulders, elbows, shin pad liners?

i mostly just wash my under wear and socks as often as i can.

i don't know how you guys can go without showering after a skate. obviously flops is a must, but just the thought of getting into your car all sweaty even if you wipe yourself and wash your hands. to each their own i guess.

I wash my gear once a season (so 2-3 times a year). Dry out and spray all gear after every use. Wash base layers/socks/jerseys after every use.

So you shower after you go on a strenuous hike? How about camping? Roller hockey? All before getting in your car. There are countless activities where you’d sweat and could not shower. You clean your hands, wipe some sweat off with a towel, and go home to shower.

#26 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:50 AM

So you shower after you go on a strenuous hike? How about camping? Roller hockey? All before getting in your car. There are countless activities where you’d sweat and could not shower. You clean your hands, wipe some sweat off with a towel, and go home to shower.

This argument is so stupid, those things, you know, don't have showers, so your argument is completely useless.

Camping, yes, I shower when there's showers available. Otherwise no.

No I can't shower after hiking, there seems to be a huge lack of showers in the middle of the wilderness, who woulda thunk it?

I personally feel gross jumping in my car after hockey without showering. I hate putting my clothes on while gross and sweaty. Will I survive if I have to? Sure. But if there's showers, I'd like to use them, it's no biggie.

#27 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:13 PM

This argument is so stupid, those things, you know, don't have showers, so your argument is completely useless.

Camping, yes, I shower when there's showers available. Otherwise no.

No I can't shower after hiking, there seems to be a huge lack of showers in the middle of the wilderness, who woulda thunk it?

I personally feel gross jumping in my car after hockey without showering. I hate putting my clothes on while gross and sweaty. Will I survive if I have to? Sure. But if there's showers, I'd like to use them, it's no biggie.

I could make the same comment about your comment being stupid. Why do you feel gross after hockey vs any other strenuous/sweaty activity? That's the point. But whatever. You do you and whatever makes you comfortable and I'll do the same.

#28 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 08 May 2020 - 05:45 AM

I feel the same way after hockey, we probably all do, I NEED to take a shower right away.

However, if it comes to being able to play or not and I would have to not shower to play hockey, I would accept it.

This is in french, but Bauer is working a new "visor:"

http://mi.lapresse.c...00__7C___0.html

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#29 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 08 May 2020 - 04:04 PM

I think it’ll be fine, maybe I’ll get the bubble for a bit if I have to until it cools down but god I’m so anxious to play lol

#30 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:59 PM

+1 For showers after skating, every time. For me it's not only the sweat but the clothes. I just don't want to put on clean clothes after a skate and I'm gross. I hunt out west every year hiking 10-15 miles a day in the same clothes. I shower if we are not going out again soon. I am not a clean freak by any sense of the word either. Longest I've ever gone without a shower is 3 1/2 months, but that's another story.

#31 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 09 May 2020 - 01:08 AM

Oh ya for sure, same for me with the showering. There’s a lot of guys I see who just toss their gear off and leave the room, I can’t for the life of me get it because when I’m done skating my entire body is soaked.

#32 crabby

crabby
  • LocationAustria

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:45 AM

I play tennis in summer and we aren‘t allowed to use showers now, but if I have to decide between no sports and sports without showering I don‘t need to think twice... It‘s gross to get in clothes without showering before, but I take some cool-down jogging pants and pullover with me and it works...
LF
CCM TACKS 80 flex LH Kreps
Purple or green gloves
purple practice jersey

#33 sharks_throwaway

sharks_throwaway
  • LocationTallmadge, OH

Posted 09 May 2020 - 01:06 PM

I consider myself a pretty clean person, but whether I'm skating out or playing goal my routine is always the same:

1) Layers from head to toe (compression long sleeve undershirt and compression pants)

2) Finish skating, off the ice and change

3) Jersey, socks, layers etc. all go in a laundry bag

4) Head home (30-40 min drive at most)

5) Undo bag, hang all gear to dry and toss laundry bag in washer

6) Shower

7) Change washer to dryer and hang anything that I don't want dried

I dunno... I'd much rather wait to take a decent shower at home then take a half-assed one in some shitty rink shower.   :dunno:

#34 wbj

wbj

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:51 PM

If the goal in all of this is trying to limit people getting sick, how is not allowing people to shower and thus bringing home all of the bacteria and possible viral matter that they picked up at the rink even a thought? 

#35 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:38 AM

It‘s gross to get in clothes without showering before, but I take some cool-down jogging pants and pullover with me and it works...

Same here. If the onkyh thing I have to do is not shower, ill do it. I miss the game too much.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#36 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:40 AM

If the goal in all of this is trying to limit people getting sick, how is not allowing people to shower and thus bringing home all of the bacteria and possible viral matter that they picked up at the rink even a thought? 

I agree, but in most arenas you cannot social distance in the showers. If one player showers at a time, it will probably take 30-45 minutes? (if everyone showers quickly)

#37 wbj

wbj

Posted 10 May 2020 - 04:27 PM

I agree, but in most arenas you cannot social distance in the showers. If one player showers at a time, it will probably take 30-45 minutes? (if everyone showers quickly)

it kinda naturally staggers out for my team as it is because some guys get undressed way before others. 

Either way, it’s not like viruses are new and we’ve always showered in gross rinks as it is and have all made it this long in life... there is a lot of knee jerk stuff going on that makes no sense when you think about it, and this seems like another of those things. Honestly, it’s probably safer to shower now bc some rinks will actually clean their showers for the first time ever. 

#38 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:43 AM

it kinda naturally staggers out for my team as it is because some guys get undressed way before others. 

Either way, it’s not like viruses are new and we’ve always showered in gross rinks as it is and have all made it this long in life... there is a lot of knee jerk stuff going on that makes no sense when you think about it, and this seems like another of those things. Honestly, it’s probably safer to shower now bc some rinks will actually clean their showers for the first time ever. 

while it is true that viruses have always existed, this virus is different. if you catch this virus and take it home with you, you can infect any number of people in your life and it could conceivably kill them.

one of my local rinks is gradually opening back up but I find it hard to believe that they will clean they way they are supposed to. prior to this, the staff didn't even sweep up in the locker rooms between games. if you were playing at night the number of employees present in this 2 ice/1 roller facility was usually 1, maybe 2 people because the owner is that cheap. it's impossible to keep a facility as clean as they need to with that small a staff.

#39 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:47 AM

which brings me to a question for those of you who play ice hockey year round:

have your leagues set up a date to return to beer league?

our league is hoping for June 13th which coincides with the end of our state's public health emergency which includes a rule about public gatherings of more than 10 people.

we had about 7-8 games left in our 20 game Winter season when we put a halt to things around St. Paddy's Day.

#40 wbj

wbj

Posted 11 May 2020 - 08:44 AM

while it is true that viruses have always existed, this virus is different. if you catch this virus and take it home with you, you can infect any number of people in your life and it could conceivably kill them.

one of my local rinks is gradually opening back up but I find it hard to believe that they will clean they way they are supposed to. prior to this, the staff didn't even sweep up in the locker rooms between games. if you were playing at night the number of employees present in this 2 ice/1 roller facility was usually 1, maybe 2 people because the owner is that cheap. it's impossible to keep a facility as clean as they need to with that small a staff.

Actually, that’s absolutely no different than any other virus that exists - if you catch it, you can spread it and infect other people. Some people die from them. There is some nuance in that coronaviruses are more stable on surfaces due to their protein structures compared to other enveloped viruses and also attach to a different part of the respiratory tract than a rhinovirus, but again, viruses aren’t new, and looking at data from places where widespread testing has been completed, the mortality rate is near par with the flu.