Photo

Akim Aliu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:10 PM

Haven't been on this site for a while, but was super surprised that this article or subjects similar to this was never posted in this forum. Especially in recent times. 

If you haven't read it already then please take your time and go over it as it's definitely worth a read. 

https://www.theplaye...e-akim-aliu-nhl

A lot of what he says is very true in hockey culture which makes the culture around the sport a shitty place. Although I’m not black I’m still a minority that’s heard some fucked up shit. Usually I’ll say something or take action if someone says something out of line, I've been lucky in the sense that no one's said anything racists like that to my face cause I wouldn't hesitate to knock someone out for that.  

I've been playing hockey for many years now because I love the sport and I feel the same way that Akim feels about being about to fly around on the ice under your own power out with your friends or at an outdoor pick up just feeling the air and play with some random people just enjoying the session and living in the now with nothing else on your mind, there’s something addictive about it.

When I tell someone that doesn’t know a lot about hockey that I play the sport and they call me a “hockey player”, I strongly dislike it due to the stigma and connotations of what comes along with it and what people view it as. I always find myself telling them that I like hockey cause it’s fun and not for the culture. I loathe the way hockey players talk, closet racism, politics and other negative aspects that are involved in hockey.

I always found it ironic when the NHL tried to celebrate people like Willie O'Ree which is a great thing, but failed to fix aspects down deep inside hockey culture. In what other profession is a person of power allowed to say “Hey Akim, I’m sick of you playing that n*gger shit,” infront of a whole group of people and allowed to keep his job because the people under him are so scared to report it due to their livelyhood. It only came to traction as of late because it was damage control on the NHL.

Listen the Bissonette on Spittin Chiclet’s and he speaks about times when people have called him racial term due to his genetics.  

I always wish the culture in this sport was more inclusive and open like the NBA, Adam Silver has made great strides and lengths for equality and inclusion.

The culture in hockey is toxic and needs to change. 

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#2 wobblypops

wobblypops

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:08 AM

Thanks for posting this, I somehow hadn't read it although I had heard the Steve Downie stories before (what a complete scumbag).  Anyways I totally agree with everything you said.  It's absolutely disgusting what some of these coaches/players get away with.

looking for Dallas/Texas Stars & UND Fighting Sioux gear

#3 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:49 AM

Thanks for sharing :)

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#4 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:31 PM

I feel like everyone who’s ever played hockey kind of knows what goes on tbh but it’s good this is coming out now and being addressed