Photo

How to remove logos from helmet?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 findursol

findursol
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 11 August 2020 - 10:22 AM

I recently picked up a white Bauer Re-Akt with a black front logo, how would I go about removing it without messing up the finish? I know AHLers with NHL experience wear logo-less ones, but I'm not sure if they're custom-ordered that way or removed afterwards.

#2 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:31 PM

In the AHL, we covered the front logos with a thin, white tape. Otherwise, nail polish remover and a q-tip. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#3 Chow_hound

Chow_hound

Posted 11 August 2020 - 08:08 PM

As mentioned above those are the 2 most common I have seen but I’m sure there have been several methods.

For the budget cover ups some teams simply used white tape. I preferred the cleaner look of a white decal sheet. A simple hack is if you have a decal sheet use some of the white perimeter material and trim to size. I find it was thinner and more matte finish. Less visible “bleed through” of the underlying graphic.

But for pro stock helmets most are without Multiple logos as after 1995 the NHL changed the rules around visible branding. That’s why old helmets started having the side bumper branding covered up. To remove the need they made single logo pro stock helmets moving forward.

If you have a non pro stock that needs the screened logo Removed, high concentrate acetone based removers work with some patience. I know there are differences such as California having an environmental aspect which limits the potency. Depending on where you are, pure acetone May or may not be available but high strength nail polish remover will work as stated.

Depending on the age and color of the helmet and graphic you might get a “shadow” effect after the removal due to plastic fade. Just a potential heads up as you might go the decal/tape/sticker route after all.

#4 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:41 AM

Go to Home Depot and get Goof Off

#5 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:47 AM

What’s the risk of chemical solvents messing with the finish and/or structural integrity of the plastic?

Custom everything.

#6 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:54 AM

What’s the risk of chemical solvents messing with the finish and/or structural integrity of the plastic?

Can't speak to the Reakt helmet, but the finish on the 4500's is very delicate. Doesn't matter how soft of a cloth you use, the surface underneath will be duller than the rest of the helmet and there will be scuff marks. None of this impacts the structural integrity of the plastic as you're using a tiny amount of solvent

#7 - M

- M

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:19 AM

I recently picked up a white Bauer Re-Akt with a black front logo, how would I go about removing it without messing up the finish? I know AHLers with NHL experience wear logo-less ones, but I'm not sure if they're custom-ordered that way or removed afterwards.

I used nail polish remover on mine.  It takes more effort than other logos I've done (Bauer 4500, CCM V08) but it'll come off with some elbow grease.  The finish looks dull after but I used some WD40 to shine it up.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.