Photo

Issue Has Been Resolved

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:11 PM

The issue has been resolved. I still wouldn't recommend buying a KAV (not that any of you will) but as I expected, the helmet was never completed due to the distraction of the partnership with Verbero, which was months in the making. They are just in way over their heads and weren't planning anything malicious. I was promptly refunded and the owner sincerely apologized, so this saga has finally come to its conclusion. Now to get my refund from Hockey Lion!

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#2 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:28 AM

As a 3D printer owner who sells things...there is a major shortage of PLA/PETG (the material the machines use to print) right now. Lots of companies are having issues meeting customer demand. That being said, lack of communication and not updating missing delivery dates is completely unacceptable, that's a personal business issue, and it should never happen. Also, those look absolutely horrible, they havent put any time in getting the print levels correct, because those are some janky ass prints.

#3 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 25 September 2020 - 07:50 AM

Yeah, I don't think I want to be a beta tester for that. Based on those pics it looks a bit rough. It wouldn't look out of place hanging from a tree filled with candy and being beaten by a stick at a 6 year old's birthday party. 

#4 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 25 September 2020 - 12:17 PM

Delete 

#5 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 25 September 2020 - 01:20 PM

I’ve followed these guys on Instagram for a while.i can definitely see what they’re doing. It’s a good idea on paper but what you’ve said exactly is right. They are in over their head with the resources they have right now. This isn’t a small project. The helmets themselves need some major work. They are hideous. Then there’s the production time and obviously communication. It really makes me wonder how safe they actually are and exactly, not sure I’d wanna find out the hard way either.

Was definitely worth a shot. Sorta sad you never got to experience it and write a review.

#6 Hills

Hills
  • LocationNiagara Ontario

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:23 PM

I am sure one of the big hockey influencers will take a pay cheque from them and say how great they are though.

#7 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 25 September 2020 - 03:52 PM

I am sure one of the big hockey influencers will take a pay cheque from them and say how great they are though.

Done and done. https://www.youtube....=HockeyTutorial

#8 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:38 PM

You could literally give him shit on a stick and he’d shill it as being the best. Have they ever done any kind of review that has a hint of actual criticism in it?

#9 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:56 PM

You could literally give him shit on a stick and he’d shill it as being the best. Have they ever done any kind of review that has a hint of actual criticism in it?

Nope. He and Jeremy will literally worship any product given to them. For example, they are a huge reason why so many people think the Sparx is the most perfect and innovative product to ever grace the game of hockey, all while ProSharp did it first and did it better. In reality, it’s just another form of skate sharpener that has a learning curve and needs to be adjusted, just like all the others.

#10 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 September 2020 - 06:15 PM

The helmet looks ugly, but I do like the chin strap concept. They should sell those straps separately. 

#11 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:52 PM

so many people think the Sparx is the most perfect and innovative product to ever grace the game of hockey, all while ProSharp did it first and did it better

In all fairness, Sparx is also half the cost of ProSharp 

#12 - M

- M

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:29 PM

In all fairness, Sparx is also half the cost of ProSharp

Sparx is only cheaper if you sharpen small volumes. It's the most expensive machine to operate compared to anything else on the market. $952 for the machine and the grinding rings (50 sharpenings) are $82.

The prosharp home is $1899 but the included wheel can do 500 sharpenings. Replacement wheels are $134 and you're good to go for another 500.

Conventional machines are still the best option for quality and value. Unfortunately it's a lack of operator training and inconsistent sharpenings from LHS that make people want to go buy their own automated sharpener.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#13 - M

- M

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:31 PM

I've criticized both of those guys on Reddit for being shills and instantly got downvoted by their bender followers.

#14 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:56 PM

Delete 

#15 - M

- M

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:12 PM

This. Also, I wasn't bashing people who use the Sparx (although I'm a Blademaster owner myself) but mostly agreeing with the point that the big hockey influencers will call anything revolutionary if they get paid. Hockey Tutorial hyped up KAV as the next big thing in the industry when they're struggling to build a basic helmet for an extremely average-sized beer leaguer with an extremely average shaped head. I also doubt I'm the only one in this predicament at this moment. Something along the lines of, "we are having technical difficulties, we can either continue to work on your helmet/build a new one or give you a full refund" would have been greatly appreciated.

Sparx is ok in a situation where someone doesn't have access to a consistent, good sharpening. I'm a Blademaster owner myself and the cost per sharpening is still the best value.

#16 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:29 PM

Sparx is ok in a situation where someone doesn't have access to a consistent, good sharpening. I'm a Blademaster owner myself and the cost per sharpening is still the best value.

Which machine do you own? I have the BC2005 and couldn't be happier. I've been using the Howie's white and lime wheels. 

#17 - M

- M

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:43 PM

Which machine do you own? I have the BC2005 and couldn't be happier. I've been using the Howie's white and lime wheels.

I have the 850 with a SH8000 holder. I like the green Blademaster wheels and the white wheel from Nash. Haven't tried any Howies wheels yet but I'll have to place an order once I use up my current stock.

#18 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:09 PM

Didn’t realize the differences, thanks for pointing them out. As a regular joe with no one but my own skates to sharpen, both are priced out of my needs. I love the idea of being able to sharpen my own skates whenever I want, but unless I had family of skaters or maybe a team that’d pay to offset the cost, I don’t get how individuals justify these machines. Lol!

#19 - M

- M

Posted 27 September 2020 - 02:12 AM

Didn’t realize the differences, thanks for pointing them out. As a regular joe with no one but my own skates to sharpen, both are priced out of my needs. I love the idea of being able to sharpen my own skates whenever I want, but unless I had family of skaters or maybe a team that’d pay to offset the cost, I don’t get how individuals justify these machines. Lol!

Don't forget to factor in the time you save from not having to go to the LHS.

#20 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 28 September 2020 - 11:12 PM

Done and done.

Lol those guys are absolute morons. I remember when they first made their page, Chris was an ankle bender but was trying to teach new players how to skate. Now they’re CCM sponsored and it’s so obvious when they do reviews of other brands. They always have some beer league euro guys testing the skates and sticks in their videos so it’s kind of funny there especially when they tape sticks top to bottom and try to guess which ones the best.
Yup, I don’t like that channel lol