Photo

Best Cage/Size for CCM V08 Bucket

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nazzy

Nazzy
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:38 PM

Hey guys, I'm sure this topic has been brought up before, but I started playing hockey in my 20's so have never worn a cage.  Our beer league team folded..so guys are going to cages at a depressing rate..cause nobody is going to chirp them at pickup lol.  I've only ever worn an Oakley Pro Straight Small but am feeling like a cage wouldn't hurt..for all the reasons we know.

So question, do I buy a Medium cage for a Medium bucket?  What cage fits and looks best with a V08? Is it a thing to buy a bigger cage for style..but then would it be more likely to hit my shoulders?  I know the color pref is a personal thing but I don't need to try them all.  I'm good to follow the most popular choice.  Will I need any additional hardware?  

Any help is appreciated, owning 4 different Medium V08's..I might be buying 4 cages..so would want them all to be the same.  Thanks!!

#2 Chow_hound

Chow_hound

Posted 26 November 2020 - 03:33 PM

Hardware to attach varies with cage. Depends on if you are doing full cage or a combo. Combos with cage lower and visor upper may be more familiar of a feel to you.

Sizing isn’t always a 1 to 1 match with your helmet. For example a Bauer Concept 3 length is the same as an Itech FX50 but the FX50 fit farther away from your face and sticks out further.

There are going to be examples of varied size, width, length, depth of all models. Sadly the best bet is to try your LHS and bring in your helmet and fit cages against it. You might need J clips for the sides and a bracket or clips for the top hole mounts.

Personally I haven’t used the V08 so I can’t speak to what works best with it.

#3 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:38 PM

I wear a CCM V08 small helmet with a Bauer RE-AKT Titanium cage size Medium. I would think the medium cage would be fine on a medium helmet. some people like to put bigger cages on helmets to get "cage hang" but personally I think that's stupid.

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#4 cgeartron

cgeartron

Posted 26 November 2020 - 04:55 PM

I agree with chow_hound and i think going to your local shop to try on different cages is your best bet to find what works for you. 

Sure a medium cage will fit a medium helmet just fine, but you also have to consider the length/shape of your face as well.

I wear a medium V08 but with a large FM580 cage because i have a longer face.

The medium FM580 sat too high up on me, and the chin cup was over my mouth, restricting my breathing as well as defeating the purpose of even having a chin cup at all.

As for looks, i think you cant go wrong with a black FM580 on a V08.
If you prefer the functionality of being able to see with a full shield, the FV1 or Concept 3 are solid choices. From my experience however, I had to modify my V08 slightly in order to fit a concept 3 on it since the front cage screws are spread wider on a V08

instagram @ccmcrazylightking

Always looking for CCM CLs size 14!

Let me know what you have!

#5 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 26 November 2020 - 05:15 PM

If you can, bring the helmet of choice with you and make sure it fits both your helmet and as mentioned length of face. I had Bauer 7500 cages but switched all my helmets to Reakt and IMS 9.0s. This cage is too wide and doesn't fit in the J clips on the sides so Reakt and IMS 9.0 cages are narrower and worked best. Also, make sure you compare vision through the bars as they all vary as well. Just my .02

#6 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 26 November 2020 - 07:38 PM

I personally use Bauer Profile II i2 (black outside white inside) in a medium on my medium V08s. But again there are many different colours, styles, shapes etc and it’s best to go try them on and look through them to see what you like. I have zero issues having a Bauer cage fit my CCM Helmets. .

#7 x-axis

x-axis
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:40 PM

I used to fit cages for people at my old store. It is very common that helmet size does not match cage size. Sometimes you will have the misfortune of having one brand in a size that has cage bars which directly line up with your eyes.

I'd probably snag a fishbowl unless you are a heavy mouth breather. That might be the easiest transition for you and they are either adult or junior sized. They also feel more corona ppe-like. Otherwise, I would go in-store with your V8, jclips and hardware, and be ready to go. 

Old Buyer/Seller Feedback-http://www.sports2k....axis/?hl=x-axis

Want to buy:

Small Shells

Large Edge Practice Socks White with navy stripe 

Large Edge Practice Socks Burgundy with white stripe 

#8 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:51 PM

I’ve worn visors for probably 15 years. After a couple close calls, including a shot to the neck that is still making it hurt to swallow, I’ve been bouncing between a cage and fishbowl. Honestly, both suck ass. I use a FM580 medium cage on a small V08.

I don’t know how guys dangle and what not wearing cages. I have been biffing passes and shots ever since I threw this thing on. I lost my lower peripheral vision, which means I’m looking down at the puck way more when it’s on my stick. Even worse when I’m trying to poke check and watching the puck carriers eyes. Probably should have never gone visor so many years ago. In 15 years got a couple fat lips and two pucks to the chin.

#9 - M

- M

Posted 27 November 2020 - 04:35 AM

Cages are sized according to face length.  Although your helmet is a medium, your cage might not be the same size.  Bring your helmet in and get fitted for a cage.  You want there to be no gap between the sides of the cage and the bottom of the J-clip. 

Some players like the look of the 'hang' from wearing a cage that's too small.  While they think it looks cool, it's not a smart idea because your jaw will absorb any impact.  A properly fitted cage will have the J-clips taking the hit.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#10 Cavs019

Cavs019

Posted 27 November 2020 - 09:22 PM

If you are at all concerned with style your only options are the Bauer Profile II or CCM 480/580. Size will depend on the length of your face.

#11 Nazzy

Nazzy

Posted 28 November 2020 - 12:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback, gents!!!

#12 Nazzy

Nazzy

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:00 PM

I went for the Profile II and am very happy with the fit and look!  Thanks!

If you are at all concerned with style your only options are the Bauer Profile II or CCM 480/580. Size will depend on the length of your face.

#13 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 30 November 2020 - 03:54 AM

I went for the Profile II and am very happy with the fit and look! Thanks!

Great choice. I have 2 and love them.