Photo

Pros and cons of moving from 280mm to 272mm runner

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 31 December 2020 - 09:59 PM

Skate size 8.25Ee/b and 8.0E/B Considering moving to a 272 from 280. What are the pros and cons of doing so. I don’t know how to upload pics on here via link or software but I can email pics of the skates

#2 konglung

konglung

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:32 AM

I am doing the exact opposite from what you are doing since the pro stock skates come in a larger size holder.

Pros: should have more steel on the ice and help with striding and getting better balance during board battles

Cons: you become less agile because it takes time for you to apply force from the end to the tip of the blade. This will affect turning. It may or may affect crossover (with your under push beceause the blade is longer so your foot will have to push the ice more than you used to so to get the outside edge digs into the ice)

Ultimately, it depends on your play style. Whether you use a lot of crossover, straight line skating or whether you are a shorter choppy vs longer stride type of skater 

But the difference I desrcibed above should be microscopic given that the impact going from 272 to 280 should be minimal

#3 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:47 PM

I went from 280 to 272 a few years back. I was surprised at how different it felt in terms of stability, but after a handful of games I got used to the new setup. You will have slightly less steel on the ice with 272, but to me that's the only con. And obviously, if you have backup 280 steel, that will now be useless. 

#4 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 01 January 2021 - 02:31 PM

Before I went custom years ago, maybe 2013, I was in Vapor X90 8.5 D width skates. They had 272 holders naturally at retail and I felt more agile, I felt like I had quicker feet in them than my customs now. I’m on my third revision from Bauer and have been in 280 since. Now the only question is if they can be drilled for 272 now after being 280.