JOFA - A GUIDE TO ELBOW PADS

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chow_hound

Chow_hound

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:09 PM

JOFA Elbow Pads History (1990’s-04’)

General information:

1. This is my own work and research. I’ve owned many JOFA pieces over the years and while I try to capture everything off there can always be errors or omissions. That said this should be fairly comprehensive.

2. Anomalies can and do happen. Some models have gone through design changes but the model number is identical. For example there were at least 4 versions of the 5066! What I’m saying here is that despite my guidance below, it’s not always black and white.

So, let’s dive in.

JOFA elbow pads have been an NHL staple for decades. The assortment of models can seem intimidating at first, especially when you consider all the model numbers released over a 25 year period. The goal here is to help explain the differences in Model Numbers, Series, Style and Country of Origin. And since we are always seeing and hearing “Pro-Stock” thrown around on for sale posts, this should help identify what the actual pro stock gear is!

To get it started, a few basic principles will help clarify how JOFA used their number system. All 90’s models onwards are using a 4 digit system. Protection Levels typically escalate from less padding to more padding as the last 2 digits of the model number go up. The first 2 digits represent the series number. So if you see an “8077” for sale, this would be an “8000” series model, and would be a retail made in China, plastic cap, long cuff elbow with full wrist protection. Wondering how I knew that? As you read on below this will make more sense and hopefully you too can identify these models with just the 4 digit number!

Another thing JOFA did was change sizing tags. You will see early 90’s made in Sweden tagging on a small square tag and usually the format of “170-180 MADE IN SWEDEN”. The numbers align to size. 160-170 is small, 170-180 is medium and 180-190 is large. Eventually this changed to a different number system where “4” was small, “5” was medium and “6” was large and these were on a bigger tag found in the elbow cup indicated Made in Sweden. Chinese retail equipment uses the same 4/5/6 tagging with a made in China below it. If you ever find JOFA equipment with worn out tags and can’t tell which is which, Chinese Retail had multiple layered tagging for SKU and consumer material labelling. Pro stock Sweden did not. Of course some people might just rip off tags and then it comes down to knowing materials and construction (yes there is a difference). On Pro Stock, finding size 160-170 or size 4 is very limited due to most NHL player sizes being larger, however some examples are out there. Also in the Retail offerings JOFA did even do a “1/2/3” for Youth/Jr. and a “7” which was XL.

When it comes to protection, JOFA was known for having the best. Some people feel it is too bulky but this is also somewhat customizable based on knowing what protection you want and matching it to the model numbers.

For example, all elbow pads have forearm protection but as you go “up” in the last 2 digits of the model number, you get more areas of protection added.

A quick example being:
‘25 Tricep guard only
‘35 Tricep and bicep guard
‘44 Tricep and bicep guard with elbow protection
‘55 Tricep and bicep guard with elbow protection and half cuff wrist protection
‘77 Tricep and bicep guard with elbow protection and extended cuff full wrist protection.

These are all the same “style” of elbow pad with a standard forearm pad, just variances in the amount of padding for the upper arm and cuff. For the purposes of this write up I will define all of these above styles as “Traditional” style elbow pads.

Then we have Jofa’s Dual Cap elbow pads. They don’t look at all like the above mentioned pads as they have an almost symmetrical look to the forearm and bicep protection. When you see a dual cap elbow pad you will know it, they look like a knee brace! All of the Dual Cap models are ending in ‘66. Well if only it was that easy....

Jofa did do 1 unusual naming convention. There is a Dual Cap ASD7000 which obviously doesn’t end in ‘66 despite it being the same style. For the purposes of this write up, anything ending in ‘66 plus the ASD 7000 is a “Dual Cap “ style elbow pad.

We are ALMOST ready to move on, but there is 1 last oddity from JOFA and it’s a big one to understand. For some reason they used the ‘66 ending on a single “traditional style” model which was the 5066. The 5066 is a non Dual Cap model and in fact is a long cuff design that aligns to the ‘77 models. If JOFA had only used 5077 instead it would have made so much more sense as the later released series of JOFA are all ending with ‘77 in the Long Cuff “Traditional Style”. So keep a mental note here that the 5066 is the pre-cursor to the 9177 pro/8k pro and you should be good!

As Jofa had been around for 80+ years before closing down the Malung Sweden plant, there were many models that existed however I am only going to recap the 1990’s models onward. I will end with the final series of CCM that still utilized the original JOFA design, despite production moving out of Sweden years prior.

Some other minor points. JOFA did have other models of low level equipment available in these years being covered, namely the “5500, 6500 and 7500” which was made with the NHL Official Licensed Product logo and not the Center Ice Authentic logo. That equipment will not be covered here at all as it is not relevant to the discussion. Main reason being it was a youth/budget product line in sizes “1” up to “6”.

And lastly, even though JOFA starting with the ‘25 models used the Center Ice Authentic logo, that DOES NOT make it pro stock! The vast majority of JOFA equipment made in the late 90’s onwards was made in China and NOT what the pro’s were wearing. I will break down the model differences below as well as the country of origin. Pro stock was only made in Sweden and not found in retail JOFA catalogues from the 2000’s! Don’t get fooled by sellers who slap a “Pro Stock” on anything JOFA. It’s simply not the case.

Product General insights: Series Styles Over the Years.

The 5000 Series - Joint Discharge Principle. For many this is the “Grail” series as it has what are the most sought after and pro used pieces of the 90’s. 5035, 5044, 5055, 5066 were all made in Sweden Pro Stock elbow pads. There is a key distinction to make right away. The EARLY models were styled in Orange, Black and White and had Leather Caps. The JOFA logo was Black outlined in Red. They were eventually updated to Blue and White with leather Caps later on. JOFA also re-released these 2 models (5044, 5066) with the updated foam cap instead of leather as many pro players used these and when the NHL changed its rules these got reproduced in updated standards (more on that below). This means certain models have multiple “versions” despite the same numbering convention. This typically applies to 5044 and 5066 models only where you can find up to 4 versions of a “5066”.

The 6000 series is the “We Protect The Pro’s” era and is white, black and orange. Very typical 1990’s. There was a combination of made in Sweden and Made in China gear already at this time. If you are buying any 6000 series be careful to look for tagging of origin as the Chinese made pads were not uncommon, however the Swedish made equipment was also more readily available in this era. You will find both Chinese and Swedish gear.

The 7000 series is the ASD (Asymmetrical System Design). That said there isn’t a full range of equipment but instead key pieces all branded as ASD7000. This can be confusing as Shoulder Pads, Elbow Pads and Pants all used the same name ASD7000.

The 8000 series is the start of the “Smart Hockey” era and is white and blue with black plastic caps that are riveted on. This entire line is Made in China and to my knowledge Sweden made equipment was not offered.

The 9000 series is the continued “Smart Hockey” era circa 2003. This entire line is also Made in China. Another full retail offering and the caps have changed to white and still riveted on. The graphics now include JDP and ASD on the cap. Circa 2003

This would be a good time to mention, January 1st 2004 the NHL changed its standards for elbow pads to meet key requirements. Having exposed plastic was no longer an option and updating materials to meet these requirements is why we saw new styles in ‘04 despite JOFA having a brand new lineup in ‘03.

The 9100 series is the Final “Smart Hockey” era and sadly the end of the JOFA line before they were bought out. This line is Circa 2004. I personally LOVE this era as it saw developments in protection that players still use today. 17 years after this launch you will find guys rocking this stuff! Now for some clarity. This entire line is RETAIL Made in China with exception of 2 models that are not cataloged, the amazing 9144 Pro and 9177 Pro. These 2 elbow pad models are Made in Sweden Pro Stock and were the basis of the future 7K Pro and 8k Pro elbows.

Also a side note, the 9066, yes you read that right (not 9166) was the last Dual Cap elbow and had received an updated padded JDP cap. It launched in the 9100 series despite having a 9066 model. Just wanted to add that in.

So with all that said, if you aren’t bored yet let’s get into some product lineage.

TRADITIONAL STYLE ELBOW PADS

Models ending in ‘25
- Forearm Protection with a Tricep Guard (Flap)
- 5025, 6025, 8025, 9025

Models ending in ‘35
- Forearm Protection with a Tricep and Bicep Guard with no extra elbow protection
- Models used a plastic overlay on the bicep guard until the 9135 model which did not use any plastic piece in compliance with NHL equipment needing padded caps in 2004.
- 5035, 6035, 8035, 9035, 9135, RBK 6K

Models ending in ‘44
- Forearm Protection with a Tricep and Bicep Guard including Elbow protection.
- The original NHL pro stock standard and most popular and widely used elbow pad in the NHL
- 5044, 6044, 8044, 9044, 9144, 7K, 7K Pro, 19K Pro

Models ending in ‘55
- Forearm Protection with a Tricep and Bicep Guard including Elbow protection and a half cuff (protects the underside of arm only and was called an “extended wrist protector”)
- Short lived style as it was not overly popular and offered an odd amount of protection (between ‘44 and ‘77)
- 5055, 6055, 8055

Models ending in ‘77
- Forearm Protection with a Tricep and Bicep guard including elbow protection and a full cuff extension (wraps around full wrist)
- Second most commonly used NHL elbow pad, offers better slash protection or players with longer arms
- 5066* (see above), 6077, 8077, 9077, 9177, 9177 Pro, 8K, 8K Pro, 19K L

DUAL CAP STYLE ELBOW PADS

Models ending in ‘66
- Dual Cap style
- Excludes the 5066
- Less common but was used in NHL by certain players
- 6066, ASD 7000, 8066, 9066

SO, ENOUGH ALREADY! JUST TELL ME IF IT’S PRO STOCK!!!

This is the part most people get confused about. While there is a linear progression over the years of models that are all ending with the same prefix and therefore are essentially the same style, certain models were the NHL pro stock and those made in Sweden pieces are of far superior quality. Below is a breakdown of the Pro Stock (Sweden) and Retail (China) elbow pads.

DISCLAIMER: As NHL teams through equipment managers were able to obtain pro stock made in Sweden gear, it is always possible that a custom piece or traditionally retail offering COULD exist in a pro stock made in Sweden elbow pad. The list below is reflective of typical country of origin!

MADE IN SWEDEN Pro Stock Models:

Short Cuff Progression
5025 Leather Cap - We Protect the Pro’s era & Blue and White redesign
5035 Leather Cap - We Protect the Pro’s era & Blue and White redesign
5044 Leather Cap - We Protect the Pro’s era & Blue and White redesign
5044 Foam Cap - Smart Hockey Era
9144 Pro - Final Jofa Year
RBK 7K Pro - Jofa Buyout
Reebok 7K Pro - Reebok Wordmark Rebrand

Long Cuff Progression
5055 Leather Cap - We Protect the Pro’s era
5066 Leather Cap - We Protect the Pro’s era & Blue and White Redesign
5066 Foam Cap - Smart Hockey Era Version 1
5066 Foam Cap - Smart Hockey Era Version 2
9177 Pro
RBK 8K Pro
Reebok 8K Pro

MADE IN CHINA Retail Models:

Short Cuff
RBK 7K
Reebok 7K
Reebok 19K Pro
CCM 19K Pro
Reebok 20K

Long Cuff
RBK 8K
Reebok 8K
Reebok 19K L
CCM 19K L
Reebok 20K L

WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY?

This is where personal preference, availability, protection level, size requirement and budget come into play.

Premium models commanding more are definitely Made in Sweden 5044-5066 and Made in Sweden 9144 Pro and 9177 Pro models. Not to say other models are not worth it, but there is a noticeable quality difference between the Pro Stock and Retail counterpart. For example the 9177 Retail and 9177 Pro are night and day when you compare the component quality, construction, fit and even their weight. That doesn’t mean the 9177 retail is a “bad” elbow pad, it can serve a purpose for many players and I would even use one myself. What I am getting at is that the NHL level equipment is designed for professional level use and therefore you get what you pay for. My 9177 pro elbows are 17 years old and feel near new despite heavy use. If you have the budget and one is available, go Sweden Pro version every time.

Some people comment about sizing of Pro vs Retail. I have worn size 6 retail and pro despite having a thinner build and longer arms. What I can say is that fit is personal preference. I like I tighter fit on my forearms and a looser fit on my upper arms. I can accomplish that with a size 6. Size 5 is marginally scaled down and really what I have found is most of the available pads being pro return have straps that have been stretched out by pros with huge arms. You can easily replace or shorten these down which vastly improves the fit.

Ultimately, use the above information to help decide what best suits your needs!

VARIANCES

I will try end this very long post off with two other areas that I am asked about. Changes or variances! This could really be an encyclopedia if I went model by model but instead will try and generalize.

5000 series:
The leather caps which got re-released as foam caps later on for 5044 and 5066. Something I dislike about the 5044/5066 foam cap elbows is the middle elbow strap design. Instead of a straight across Velcro attachment, it’s intended to run downward in a sloppy X shape onto the forearm Velcro pad. Personally this doesn’t allow for a customized fit as it’s always “loose” feeling. They fixed that in later iterations and you can always easily self customize this by adding a Velcro loop section to the middle strap.

8000/9000 series:
To me these are the cheapest quality series offered and I stay away from them. Riveted elbow caps onto a plastic shell. Yuck. This was a departure from the machine stitched elbow cap onto a foam shell that the previous models used. All in all these are essentially a good blueprint for future designs but nothing I would play in myself.

9100 series:
Everything from this series 9135, 9144, 9177 and 9144 pro and 9177 pro are awesome. If you have trouble finding pads that fit you well, the retail offerings for the 9135 and 9144 came in 4/5/6 but the 9177 ONLY came in 5/6. If you are a dual cap fan, the 9066 was also a 5/6 offering. So don’t waste time looking for a size 4 in those 2 styles!

As mentioned, the 9144 and 9177 in both retail and pro versions improved the middle elbow strap configuration.

As JOFA was bought out by RBK, the lineage of the 9144/9144 Pro and 9177/9177 Pro became the RBK 7K/7K Pro and RBK 8K/8K Pro. The first versions of the buyout pads essentially just reused the JOFA molds but made some minor adjustments to accommodate the RBK logo. Some materials changed, and improvements to the strap ends were done by stitching and not gluing as JOFA had done. RBK eventually rebranded to Reebok and yet another 7K Pro and 8K Pro was designed with the new logos. That would be the FINAL true JOFA made in Sweden elbow pad offering as future production moved overseas to China.

Today’s Pro Stock CCM that is based on original JOFA design is made in China. I have not used or owned any of that gear so I cannot comment further on it.

I hope for any JOFA aficionados that this was helpful, and happy collecting everyone!

#2 IDoezIt

IDoezIt
  • LocationMN

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:14 PM

dude -- you're a gem! this is incredible information. 

Officially GOATed! 

ISO:

Kovalchuk Mitts Crosby Mitts

#3 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:34 PM

THIS is a quality post that should be pinned to the top. So many buyers and sellers need to see this. Great work! 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#4 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:47 PM

Winner!

Does this all apply to shins as well?

#5 Chow_hound

Chow_hound

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:57 PM

Thanks guys. Separate info for Shin Pads and Shoulder Pads to come. The same convention applies when you look at series numbers but model numbers are different on those.

#6 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 12 March 2021 - 11:50 PM

Absolutely amazing post thank you so much! I do love my retail 9135 (I got them for $40 and were marked as pro stock lol but I knew). They have me hooked on jofa. No pads I’ve ever had are as good as these. They are so so protective and I do like the smaller bicep guard but if I could find a pair I want 9144/7k pro so bad.

This guide makes Things so much easier now And I’ll know before I buy ! Thanks again!

Excited to see the shins too. I have rbk 7k pro pads and I dunno much about them other then I like how basic they are 😂

#7 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 13 March 2021 - 07:58 AM

wow! Great stuff! This is a great reference tool!

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#8 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 15 March 2021 - 03:32 PM

wow! Great stuff! This is a great reference tool!

Pin it to the top!

Custom everything.

#9 Anton0507

Anton0507

Posted 04 January 2024 - 01:00 PM

So, what would be the recommendations in 2024 for what RBK 7K Pro elbows could be replaced with?

#10 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 04 January 2024 - 03:44 PM

CCM 20k pro stock or the newest pro tacks will be basically the closest

#11 Gswift

Gswift

Posted 05 January 2024 - 08:55 AM

There's also the CCM 19K which can still be found...

#12 rover

rover
  • LocationNy

Posted 06 January 2024 - 11:10 PM

If anybody is interested I have a brand new pair of pro stocks. Size 6 5066. Went with something smaller. Just looking to get my money back.

#13 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 08:44 PM

JOFA Elbow Pads History (1990’s-04’)

General information:

1. This is my own work and research. I’ve owned many JOFA pieces over the years and while I try to capture everything off there can always be errors or omissions. That said this should be fairly comprehensive.

2. Anomalies can and do happen. Some models have gone through design changes but the model number is identical. For example there were at least 4 versions of the 5066! What I’m saying here is that despite my guidance below, it’s not always black and white.

So, let’s dive in.

JOFA elbow pads have been an NHL staple for decades. The assortment of models can seem intimidating at first, especially when you consider all the model numbers released over a 25 year period. The goal here is to help explain the differences in Model Numbers, Series, Style and Country of Origin. And since we are always seeing and hearing “Pro-Stock” thrown around on for sale posts, this should help identify what the actual pro stock gear is!

To get it started, a few basic principles will help clarify how JOFA used their number system. All 90’s models onwards are using a 4 digit system. Protection Levels typically escalate from less padding to more padding as the last 2 digits of the model number go up. The first 2 digits represent the series number. So if you see an “8077” for sale, this would be an “8000” series model, and would be a retail made in China, plastic cap, long cuff elbow with full wrist protection. Wondering how I knew that? As you read on below this will make more sense and hopefully you too can identify these models with just the 4 digit number!

Another thing JOFA did was change sizing tags. You will see early 90’s made in Sweden tagging on a small square tag and usually the format of “170-180 MADE IN SWEDEN”. The numbers align to size. 160-170 is small, 170-180 is medium and 180-190 is large. Eventually this changed to a different number system where “4” was small, “5” was medium and “6” was large and these were on a bigger tag found in the elbow cup indicated Made in Sweden. Chinese retail equipment uses the same 4/5/6 tagging with a made in China below it. If you ever find JOFA equipment with worn out tags and can’t tell which is which, Chinese Retail had multiple layered tagging for SKU and consumer material labelling. Pro stock Sweden did not. Of course some people might just rip off tags and then it comes down to knowing materials and construction (yes there is a difference). On Pro Stock, finding size 160-170 or size 4 is very limited due to most NHL player sizes being larger, however some examples are out there. Also in the Retail offerings JOFA did even do a “1/2/3” for Youth/Jr. and a “7” which was XL.

When it comes to protection, JOFA was known for having the best. Some people feel it is too bulky but this is also somewhat customizable based on knowing what protection you want and matching it to the model numbers.

For example, all elbow pads have forearm protection but as you go “up” in the last 2 digits of the model number, you get more areas of protection added.

A quick example being:
‘25 Tricep guard only
‘35 Tricep and bicep guard
‘44 Tricep and bicep guard with elbow protection
‘55 Tricep and bicep guard with elbow protection and half cuff wrist protection
‘77 Tricep and bicep guard with elbow protection and extended cuff full wrist protection.

These are all the same “style” of elbow pad with a standard forearm pad, just variances in the amount of padding for the upper arm and cuff. For the purposes of this write up I will define all of these above styles as “Traditional” style elbow pads.

Then we have Jofa’s Dual Cap elbow pads. They don’t look at all like the above mentioned pads as they have an almost symmetrical look to the forearm and bicep protection. When you see a dual cap elbow pad you will know it, they look like a knee brace! All of the Dual Cap models are ending in ‘66. Well if only it was that easy....

Jofa did do 1 unusual naming convention. There is a Dual Cap ASD7000 which obviously doesn’t end in ‘66 despite it being the same style. For the purposes of this write up, anything ending in ‘66 plus the ASD 7000 is a “Dual Cap “ style elbow pad.

We are ALMOST ready to move on, but there is 1 last oddity from JOFA and it’s a big one to understand. For some reason they used the ‘66 ending on a single “traditional style” model which was the 5066. The 5066 is a non Dual Cap model and in fact is a long cuff design that aligns to the ‘77 models. If JOFA had only used 5077 instead it would have made so much more sense as the later released series of JOFA are all ending with ‘77 in the Long Cuff “Traditional Style”. So keep a mental note here that the 5066 is the pre-cursor to the 9177 pro/8k pro and you should be good!

As Jofa had been around for 80+ years before closing down the Malung Sweden plant, there were many models that existed however I am only going to recap the 1990’s models onward. I will end with the final series of CCM that still utilized the original JOFA design, despite production moving out of Sweden years prior.

Some other minor points. JOFA did have other models of low level equipment available in these years being covered, namely the “5500, 6500 and 7500” which was made with the NHL Official Licensed Product logo and not the Center Ice Authentic logo. That equipment will not be covered here at all as it is not relevant to the discussion. Main reason being it was a youth/budget product line in sizes “1” up to “6”.

And lastly, even though JOFA starting with the ‘25 models used the Center Ice Authentic logo, that DOES NOT make it pro stock! The vast majority of JOFA equipment made in the late 90’s onwards was made in China and NOT what the pro’s were wearing. I will break down the model differences below as well as the country of origin. Pro stock was only made in Sweden and not found in retail JOFA catalogues from the 2000’s! Don’t get fooled by sellers who slap a “Pro Stock” on anything JOFA. It’s simply not the case.

Product General insights: Series Styles Over the Years.

The 5000 Series - Joint Discharge Principle. For many this is the “Grail” series as it has what are the most sought after and pro used pieces of the 90’s. 5035, 5044, 5055, 5066 were all made in Sweden Pro Stock elbow pads. There is a key distinction to make right away. The EARLY models were styled in Orange, Black and White and had Leather Caps. The JOFA logo was Black outlined in Red. They were eventually updated to Blue and White with leather Caps later on. JOFA also re-released these 2 models (5044, 5066) with the updated foam cap instead of leather as many pro players used these and when the NHL changed its rules these got reproduced in updated standards (more on that below). This means certain models have multiple “versions” despite the same numbering convention. This typically applies to 5044 and 5066 models only where you can find up to 4 versions of a “5066”.

The 6000 series is the “We Protect The Pro’s” era and is white, black and orange. Very typical 1990’s. There was a combination of made in Sweden and Made in China gear already at this time. If you are buying any 6000 series be careful to look for tagging of origin as the Chinese made pads were not uncommon, however the Swedish made equipment was also more readily available in this era. You will find both Chinese and Swedish gear.

The 7000 series is the ASD (Asymmetrical System Design). That said there isn’t a full range of equipment but instead key pieces all branded as ASD7000. This can be confusing as Shoulder Pads, Elbow Pads and Pants all used the same name ASD7000.

The 8000 series is the start of the “Smart Hockey” era and is white and blue with black plastic caps that are riveted on. This entire line is Made in China and to my knowledge Sweden made equipment was not offered.

The 9000 series is the continued “Smart Hockey” era circa 2003. This entire line is also Made in China. Another full retail offering and the caps have changed to white and still riveted on. The graphics now include JDP and ASD on the cap. Circa 2003

This would be a good time to mention, January 1st 2004 the NHL changed its standards for elbow pads to meet key requirements. Having exposed plastic was no longer an option and updating materials to meet these requirements is why we saw new styles in ‘04 despite JOFA having a brand new lineup in ‘03.

The 9100 series is the Final “Smart Hockey” era and sadly the end of the JOFA line before they were bought out. This line is Circa 2004. I personally LOVE this era as it saw developments in protection that players still use today. 17 years after this launch you will find guys rocking this stuff! Now for some clarity. This entire line is RETAIL Made in China with exception of 2 models that are not cataloged, the amazing 9144 Pro and 9177 Pro. These 2 elbow pad models are Made in Sweden Pro Stock and were the basis of the future 7K Pro and 8k Pro elbows.

Also a side note, the 9066, yes you read that right (not 9166) was the last Dual Cap elbow and had received an updated padded JDP cap. It launched in the 9100 series despite having a 9066 model. Just wanted to add that in.

So with all that said, if you aren’t bored yet let’s get into some product lineage.

TRADITIONAL STYLE ELBOW PADS

Models ending in ‘25
- Forearm Protection with a Tricep Guard (Flap)
- 5025, 6025, 8025, 9025

Models ending in ‘35
- Forearm Protection with a Tricep and Bicep Guard with no extra elbow protection
- Models used a plastic overlay on the bicep guard until the 9135 model which did not use any plastic piece in compliance with NHL equipment needing padded caps in 2004.
- 5035, 6035, 8035, 9035, 9135, RBK 6K

Models ending in ‘44
- Forearm Protection with a Tricep and Bicep Guard including Elbow protection.
- The original NHL pro stock standard and most popular and widely used elbow pad in the NHL
- 5044, 6044, 8044, 9044, 9144, 7K, 7K Pro, 19K Pro

Models ending in ‘55
- Forearm Protection with a Tricep and Bicep Guard including Elbow protection and a half cuff (protects the underside of arm only and was called an “extended wrist protector”)
- Short lived style as it was not overly popular and offered an odd amount of protection (between ‘44 and ‘77)
- 5055, 6055, 8055

Models ending in ‘77
- Forearm Protection with a Tricep and Bicep guard including elbow protection and a full cuff extension (wraps around full wrist)
- Second most commonly used NHL elbow pad, offers better slash protection or players with longer arms
- 5066* (see above), 6077, 8077, 9077, 9177, 9177 Pro, 8K, 8K Pro, 19K L

DUAL CAP STYLE ELBOW PADS

Models ending in ‘66
- Dual Cap style
- Excludes the 5066
- Less common but was used in NHL by certain players
- 6066, ASD 7000, 8066, 9066

SO, ENOUGH ALREADY! JUST TELL ME IF IT’S PRO STOCK!!!

This is the part most people get confused about. While there is a linear progression over the years of models that are all ending with the same prefix and therefore are essentially the same style, certain models were the NHL pro stock and those made in Sweden pieces are of far superior quality. Below is a breakdown of the Pro Stock (Sweden) and Retail (China) elbow pads.

DISCLAIMER: As NHL teams through equipment managers were able to obtain pro stock made in Sweden gear, it is always possible that a custom piece or traditionally retail offering COULD exist in a pro stock made in Sweden elbow pad. The list below is reflective of typical country of origin!

MADE IN SWEDEN Pro Stock Models:

Short Cuff Progression
5025 Leather Cap - We Protect the Pro’s era & Blue and White redesign
5035 Leather Cap - We Protect the Pro’s era & Blue and White redesign
5044 Leather Cap - We Protect the Pro’s era & Blue and White redesign
5044 Foam Cap - Smart Hockey Era
9144 Pro - Final Jofa Year
RBK 7K Pro - Jofa Buyout
Reebok 7K Pro - Reebok Wordmark Rebrand

Long Cuff Progression
5055 Leather Cap - We Protect the Pro’s era
5066 Leather Cap - We Protect the Pro’s era & Blue and White Redesign
5066 Foam Cap - Smart Hockey Era Version 1
5066 Foam Cap - Smart Hockey Era Version 2
9177 Pro
RBK 8K Pro
Reebok 8K Pro

MADE IN CHINA Retail Models:

Short Cuff
RBK 7K
Reebok 7K
Reebok 19K Pro
CCM 19K Pro
Reebok 20K

Long Cuff
RBK 8K
Reebok 8K
Reebok 19K L
CCM 19K L
Reebok 20K L

WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY?

This is where personal preference, availability, protection level, size requirement and budget come into play.

Premium models commanding more are definitely Made in Sweden 5044-5066 and Made in Sweden 9144 Pro and 9177 Pro models. Not to say other models are not worth it, but there is a noticeable quality difference between the Pro Stock and Retail counterpart. For example the 9177 Retail and 9177 Pro are night and day when you compare the component quality, construction, fit and even their weight. That doesn’t mean the 9177 retail is a “bad” elbow pad, it can serve a purpose for many players and I would even use one myself. What I am getting at is that the NHL level equipment is designed for professional level use and therefore you get what you pay for. My 9177 pro elbows are 17 years old and feel near new despite heavy use. If you have the budget and one is available, go Sweden Pro version every time.

Some people comment about sizing of Pro vs Retail. I have worn size 6 retail and pro despite having a thinner build and longer arms. What I can say is that fit is personal preference. I like I tighter fit on my forearms and a looser fit on my upper arms. I can accomplish that with a size 6. Size 5 is marginally scaled down and really what I have found is most of the available pads being pro return have straps that have been stretched out by pros with huge arms. You can easily replace or shorten these down which vastly improves the fit.

Ultimately, use the above information to help decide what best suits your needs!

VARIANCES

I will try end this very long post off with two other areas that I am asked about. Changes or variances! This could really be an encyclopedia if I went model by model but instead will try and generalize.

5000 series:
The leather caps which got re-released as foam caps later on for 5044 and 5066. Something I dislike about the 5044/5066 foam cap elbows is the middle elbow strap design. Instead of a straight across Velcro attachment, it’s intended to run downward in a sloppy X shape onto the forearm Velcro pad. Personally this doesn’t allow for a customized fit as it’s always “loose” feeling. They fixed that in later iterations and you can always easily self customize this by adding a Velcro loop section to the middle strap.

8000/9000 series:
To me these are the cheapest quality series offered and I stay away from them. Riveted elbow caps onto a plastic shell. Yuck. This was a departure from the machine stitched elbow cap onto a foam shell that the previous models used. All in all these are essentially a good blueprint for future designs but nothing I would play in myself.

9100 series:
Everything from this series 9135, 9144, 9177 and 9144 pro and 9177 pro are awesome. If you have trouble finding pads that fit you well, the retail offerings for the 9135 and 9144 came in 4/5/6 but the 9177 ONLY came in 5/6. If you are a dual cap fan, the 9066 was also a 5/6 offering. So don’t waste time looking for a size 4 in those 2 styles!

As mentioned, the 9144 and 9177 in both retail and pro versions improved the middle elbow strap configuration.

As JOFA was bought out by RBK, the lineage of the 9144/9144 Pro and 9177/9177 Pro became the RBK 7K/7K Pro and RBK 8K/8K Pro. The first versions of the buyout pads essentially just reused the JOFA molds but made some minor adjustments to accommodate the RBK logo. Some materials changed, and improvements to the strap ends were done by stitching and not gluing as JOFA had done. RBK eventually rebranded to Reebok and yet another 7K Pro and 8K Pro was designed with the new logos. That would be the FINAL true JOFA made in Sweden elbow pad offering as future production moved overseas to China.

Today’s Pro Stock CCM that is based on original JOFA design is made in China. I have not used or owned any of that gear so I cannot comment further on it.

I hope for any JOFA aficionados that this was helpful, and happy collecting everyone!

What was the 9k based off of?

#14 xstartxtodayx

xstartxtodayx
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 January 2024 - 09:54 AM

What was the 9k based off of?

This might help?  Things seem to get a bit more confusing after RBK took over:

https://modsquadhock...&comment=455550

- Jon