Photo

Marsblade roller off ice frame?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 29 March 2021 - 05:17 AM

Has anyone tried the Marsblade off ice frame+wheels?

Which booth did you install it on? Enjoying them?

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#2 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 29 March 2021 - 12:48 PM

I've used both the O1 and the R1 chassis. The O1 I had mounted onto a pair of old Bauer X800 ice skates and the R1 I mounted to True TF9. No issues fitting either chassis to either boot.

The O1 definitely has more rocker and you have to keep your balance vs traditional inline frames. The chassis is heavy and kind of clunky, but it works. The R1 doesn't have as much rocker, but is lighter than the O1 (still heavier than a good hi-lo frame). It's also less clunky and the inserts are a cool way to change the rocker point of the chassis.

When I had both, I skated with the O1 on one foot and the R1 on the other just to see how much of a difference there was between the two. Obviously not scientific, but I couldn't tell that much of a difference between the two in how I was using them. At least not enough a difference to justify the need to own both. That could speak to my skating or simply the product. I sold the O1 and now use the R1 exclusively for inline.

While I still haven't played an ice hockey game in a year, I did make it out to a number of frozen lakes this past winter to skate/mess around by myself and didn't notice any problem feeling comfortable on the edges of my ice skates. I don't think I'd put that all on Marsblade, but I'm sure it didn't hurt. So yeah, I'm a convert and would recommend either Marsblade chassis to just about anyone.

Let me know if there's something else you want to know

https://media.fotki....HYDPEFx1YqB.jpg

https://media.fotki....a3DAfMx1YqB.jpg

#3 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 29 March 2021 - 03:48 PM

I use the O1 for off-ice training, skating in the streets and trails with Labeda asphalt 83A wheels. These give the closest feeling to ice skates IMO. I have these mounted on Ribcor 66K boots and they're extremely comfortable for long skates. I wouldn't recommend playing in these due to their plastic frames and many moving parts. 

I use the R1 for outdoor roller hockey on an outdoor smooth concrete rink with Rink Rat XX 78A wheels. These are built for actual roller hockey and are made of aluminum. They are heavier than your traditional Hi-Lo chassis, but feel a lot closer to ice than the aforementioned fixed chassis. The customization of the rocker is great and I feel the H5-H5 setup provides the closest to on-ice feeling IMO. I have these mounted to Ribcor 70k boots that previously had Sprungs on them and they do take an adjustment period to get used to. If I could do it over again, I probably would have kept the Sprungs on the 70K but don't regret trying the R1 either. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#4 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:58 PM

I use the O1 for off-ice training, skating in the streets and trails with Labeda asphalt 83A wheels. These give the closest feeling to ice skates IMO. I have these mounted on Ribcor 66K boots and they're extremely comfortable for long skates. I wouldn't recommend playing in these due to their plastic frames and many moving parts.

I use the R1 for outdoor roller hockey on an outdoor smooth concrete rink with Rink Rat XX 78A wheels. These are built for actual roller hockey and are made of aluminum. They are heavier than your traditional Hi-Lo chassis, but feel a lot closer to ice than the aforementioned fixed chassis. The customization of the rocker is great and I feel the H5-H5 setup provides the closest to on-ice feeling IMO. I have these mounted to Ribcor 70k boots that previously had Sprungs on them and they do take an adjustment period to get used to. If I could do it over again, I probably would have kept the Sprungs on the 70K but don't regret trying the R1 either.

That's actually very validating to read. I got the R1s on the original presale with the intention of swapping my sprungs and I never ended up doing it. Eventually sold the R1s and just kept the sprungs and I don't really regret it, but it's good to see another vote for sprungs.

Regarding the topic, I have used o1 Marsblade on ccm super tacks boots and thought they were great. Way to heavy for playing roller, but definitely neat and as close as I've ever felt to ice skating with rollers

#5 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:26 AM

I have the original chassis and absolutely love them. They helped me hone my mohawk turns during the shut down. They're heavier, obviously, then other set ups. But, I never notice it when I'm skating in them.

I had them mounted to a pair of Mako M8's and the guy that did it had to cut away part of the boot for the frame to fit. He reached out to Marsblade and Pers guided him thru the whole process.

I couldn't recommend them more. I have no issues skating with them in the basement one day and hitting the ice the next.

I've used both the O1 and the R1 chassis. The O1 I had mounted onto a pair of old Bauer X800 ice skates and the R1 I mounted to True TF9. No issues fitting either chassis to either boot.

The O1 definitely has more rocker and you have to keep your balance vs traditional inline frames. The chassis is heavy and kind of clunky, but it works. The R1 doesn't have as much rocker, but is lighter than the O1 (still heavier than a good hi-lo frame). It's also less clunky and the inserts are a cool way to change the rocker point of the chassis.

When I had both, I skated with the O1 on one foot and the R1 on the other just to see how much of a difference there was between the two. Obviously not scientific, but I couldn't tell that much of a difference between the two in how I was using them. At least not enough a difference to justify the need to own both. That could speak to my skating or simply the product. I sold the O1 and now use the R1 exclusively for inline.

While I still haven't played an ice hockey game in a year, I did make it out to a number of frozen lakes this past winter to skate/mess around by myself and didn't notice any problem feeling comfortable on the edges of my ice skates. I don't think I'd put that all on Marsblade, but I'm sure it didn't hurt. So yeah, I'm a convert and would recommend either Marsblade chassis to just about anyone.

Let me know if there's something else you want to know

https://media.fotki....HYDPEFx1YqB.jpg

https://media.fotki....a3DAfMx1YqB.jpg

Those Trues look drop dead sexy with those frames.

#6 althoma1

althoma1
  • LocationToronto

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:19 PM

That's actually very validating to read. I got the R1s on the original presale with the intention of swapping my sprungs and I never ended up doing it. Eventually sold the R1s and just kept the sprungs and I don't really regret it, but it's good to see another vote for sprungs.

Regarding the topic, I have used o1 Marsblade on ccm super tacks boots and thought they were great. Way to heavy for playing roller, but definitely neat and as close as I've ever felt to ice skating with rollers

I've used Sprungs for over a decade and still have some in good condition on a Mako M7 conversion. Yesterday I skated outdoors on a TF9/Marsblade R1 setup for the first time. I skated in the TF9/R1 for about 45 minutes and my Mako M7/Sprungs for about 15. My initial impression is that I’m more mobile in the Sprungs, I can stop easier in them (I usually only try to hockey stop indoors on Sport Court, but even on cement if I do a tight C cut in Sprungs it’s not that hard to stop – I wasn’t going all out as I wasn’t wearing anything, but gloves and skates and didn't want to eat it while getting used to a new setup.). I’m also used to Sprungs; so, I’m not going to declare them a winner without skating on the R1’s a lot more and hopefully at least playing some pickup games in them.

I didn’t feel a lot of movement in the R1’s (and I had the default insert in, which I believe is the one that allows for the most movement), but it did feel like I could move a little better than in a traditional flat chassis. It’s been a while since I was on a flat chassis, but I remember the strides in a flat chassis being more choppy. I could take long strides in the R1 and the turning and grip were good – I just felt the Sprungs allowed more toe flick, a bit more grip and were more mobile. I felt faster and more agile in the Sprungs. That’s all unscientific though as I didn’t have a course set up or time anything and I was using different wheels, a different boot and different bearings. Maybe I’ll pad up and try to do some basic timed tests in the future.

When wearing them back to back, it was easy to tell that the Sprung chassis was a bit lighter than the R1; some of that could be the chassis and some could be the two 80mm wheels instead of all 76mm on my A6 Sprung.  The depth, forward flex and ankle mobility were all good for me with the TF9 boot – the R1 just felt a little flatter and heavier compared to the Sprungs. They were more stable, but I had a tendency to move with my wheels on the ground in some instances vs. lifting my feet up with the Sprungs. I’ll definitely continue to skate with the R1s (I think they may be the better option for outdoor use anyway – the Sprungs require constant cleaning if you use them outdoors) and like them, but it’s hard to top the Sprungs in performance. If only the Sprungs were a bit lower maintenance and didn’t suffer from friction wear over time – an alloy version of the Sprungs would be the ultimate chassis IMHO (I know there's a Fizix page on FB that has the drawings, but I don't think the funds are there right now to produce them). 

#7 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:20 AM

Yup I’ve got Marsblades installed on my FT1s. I had the rocker really stiff at first just to get used to being back on blades then loosened it up a bit and it’s actually pretty great.

#8 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:03 AM

Ive used them a few times, they feel amazing! Great purchase.

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#9 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:35 PM

I've had mine for a year and a half ish, mounted to my old one95's. Absolutely love them.