Photo

Pro Stock Sticks on Sean Avery Podcast

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 21 April 2021 - 04:13 PM

https://podcasts.app...ry/id1491833651

Some interesting anecdotes and just a cool podcast for anyone who is interested. It's episode 67

#2 m00nshine

m00nshine

Posted 22 April 2021 - 02:50 PM

Love what this guy has done. Love his content on Youtube and Instagram. But I feel like the company can use a better name and branding. 

• His website is easily confused with another site: prostockhockey.com vs prostockhockeysticks.com. It might have been a good strategy in the beginning to piggy back traffic from a more popular site but now it makes it makes the brand and his sticks seem inferior which they are not. 
  • How can you explain to a casual fan the difference between a 'Pro' vs 'pro' stock hockey stick.

Better address this issue earlier than later. Wishing him all the best. 

#3 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 23 April 2021 - 02:22 AM

Love what this guy has done. Love his content on Youtube and Instagram. But I feel like the company can use a better name and branding.

• His website is easily confused with another site: prostockhockey.com vs prostockhockeysticks.com. It might have been a good strategy in the beginning to piggy back traffic from a more popular site but now it makes it makes the brand and his sticks seem inferior which they are not.
  • How can you explain to a casual fan the difference between a 'Pro' vs 'pro' stock hockey stick.
Better address this issue earlier than later. Wishing him all the best.

Agreed. Also, I drop by to check out their stock once in a while and it’s usually almost all sold out. I can’t even find a restock date to know when to check back. As a small company, agility is required. PSHS has some of that already, in the broad curve bank. But Base has that too, even if their curve selection is more focused on historical retail curves and lie selection on some of those. The 3D viewer is neat, but the materiality is still lacking. If I’m interested in buying something and can only view it online I want revealing pictures to show off the physical quality of what I’m getting. That’s one of his selling points, so it should be on full display.

Cool to hear the story though and hope he does well with this.

#4 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 23 April 2021 - 10:16 AM

I agree, he really needs to find an investor to help him stock inventory of he wants it to be viable as a business beyond just the custom aspect. I have yet to check his site on the last 6 months and find anything in stock. But the idea is amazing and I really hope it grows. Sounded like Aves wanted to invest

#5 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 10:44 AM

I agree, he really needs to find an investor to help him stock inventory of he wants it to be viable as a business beyond just the custom aspect. I have yet to check his site on the last 6 months and find anything in stock. But the idea is amazing and I really hope it grows. Sounded like Aves wanted to invest

He does a lot of his business on the Custom stick side.  That's when you order the 5 plus pack of sticks for $880.  That's part of whole idea about the site.  To get Pro curves that people like but can't always get.  For me, the curve I use is hard to come by and sometimes rare but he sells it.

I have a few of the one off sticks and plan to do a custom order.  One thing i can tell you is, they are well made sticks.  

Agreed. Also, I drop by to check out their stock once in a while and it’s usually almost all sold out. I can’t even find a restock date to know when to check back. As a small company, agility is required. PSHS has some of that already, in the broad curve bank. But Base has that too, even if their curve selection is more focused on historical retail curves and lie selection on some of those. The 3D viewer is neat, but the materiality is still lacking. If I’m interested in buying something and can only view it online I want revealing pictures to show off the physical quality of what I’m getting. That’s one of his selling points, so it should be on full display.

Cool to hear the story though and hope he does well with this.

Check out hockeyreviews.ca review of Pros sticks.  

#6 wbj

wbj

Posted 23 April 2021 - 11:44 AM

He does a lot of his business on the Custom stick side.  That's when you order the 5 plus pack of sticks for $880.  That's part of whole idea about the site.  To get Pro curves that people like but can't always get.  For me, the curve I use is hard to come by and sometimes rare but he sells it.

I have a few of the one off sticks and plan to do a custom order.  One thing i can tell you is, they are well made sticks.  

Check out hockeyreviews.ca review of Pros sticks.  

Will second this... I have some sticks that I bought off PSH that aren't on the site anymore and ordering 5 for $880 (and no mold fee, which is huge) is an absolute win.

Glad to hear the sticks are well made.... his factory supplier is a couple ex-Bauer guys who were there before their durability went to shit with the 1x and 1N, so all in all it seems like a very good deal for what you get. 

#7 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 12:10 PM

Will second this... I have some sticks that I bought off PSH that aren't on the site anymore and ordering 5 for $880 (and no mold fee, which is huge) is an absolute win.

Glad to hear the sticks are well made.... his factory supplier is a couple ex-Bauer guys who were there before their durability went to shit with the 1x and 1N, so all in all it seems like a very good deal for what you get. 

I would rank the sticks above CCM but a little below Bauer.  They aren't those Alibaba sticks you see, I can tell you that

#8 flip12

flip12

Posted 26 April 2021 - 02:04 AM

He should have running mold campaigns, i.e. "What do you want?...

Barkov Pro? √

Backstrom Pro? √

Young Kovalev Pro? √"

Kickstarter style, allowing people to buy in and grow his curve bank. That way people can see the progress of what they're hoping to see and help advertise for him and get the particular curve they want going.

Having said that, I also wonder about some of his curve knowledge. I can't see him on Instagram anymore because he blocked me for asking some questions, but I've heard he called the E28 the Fisher Pro, which seems suspect to me.

He just needs a new name for the sticks overall, and Pro Stock Hockey Sticks can be the subtitled/slogan of the company.

#9 flip12

flip12

Posted 26 April 2021 - 02:05 AM

Also, forgot in the last post. What was Avery saying about Shanahan's curve? 'You couldn't see it when you were looking at it,' or something like that. That confused the hell out of me.

#10 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:24 AM

Also, forgot in the last post. What was Avery saying about Shanahan's curve? 'You couldn't see it when you were looking at it,' or something like that. That confused the hell out of me.

He was saying that the face is completely closed, so when you look from the top, you cannot see the face of the blade because it doesn't open up at all.

#11 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:48 AM

He should have running mold campaigns, i.e. "What do you want?...

Barkov Pro? √

Backstrom Pro? √

Young Kovalev Pro? √"

Kickstarter style, allowing people to buy in and grow his curve bank. That way people can see the progress of what they're hoping to see and help advertise for him and get the particular curve they want going.

Having said that, I also wonder about some of his curve knowledge. I can't see him on Instagram anymore because he blocked me for asking some questions, but I've heard he called the E28 the Fisher Pro, which seems suspect to me.

He just needs a new name for the sticks overall, and Pro Stock Hockey Sticks can be the subtitled/slogan of the company.

so the e28 came from the Kreps curve.  Easton actually used Kreps curve, bauer and ccm used a variant of it.  The bauer and ccm p28 aren't as pronounced as the e28.  It's only a slight difference.  Fisher used a Kreps.  Gu

#12 AARONSWORLD

AARONSWORLD

Posted 28 April 2021 - 11:30 PM

Great interview. It's good to see guys like Avery giving Pro Stock Sticks a platform to promote their small businesses.

I've used their 'red line' stick and it's on par with a Bauer 1X lite. Lightweight, great puck feel, and well balanced. Performance wise, I would rank it under the Vapor ADV, but it is better than the FlyLite 100%. It's funny to see Bauer copy his 'blacked out with red spine' look on their new Hyperlite.  

#13 flip12

flip12

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:29 AM

He was saying that the face is completely closed, so when you look from the top, you cannot see the face of the blade because it doesn't open up at all.

That makes perfect sense. His wording was just ... I couldn't make sense at all.

so the e28 came from the Kreps curve.  Easton actually used Kreps curve, bauer and ccm used a variant of it.  The bauer and ccm p28 aren't as pronounced as the e28.  It's only a slight difference.  Fisher used a Kreps.  Gu

That's a great look at a Fisher. I had thought his curve was slightly smoother, but it looks E28ish from there. I did a deep dive on Getty Images a while back and I thought it looked like Kreps started using his famous pattern after Fisher got his own pattern going.

I've only tried an E28 and a TC4, but I like the look of the softer P28s. True's is a bit different from the others, but it still plays quite nicely for me. With the pro variants it's hard to tell because I've never been able to see them side by side.

#14 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:21 AM

I have a teammate who uses Fisher pro and it's definitely a 28/Kreps, which is obvious given how many times that guy shoots a foot over the net lol.