Photo

Step steel / Tuuk edge holders problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 blazer88

blazer88
  • Locationlong island n.y

Posted 05 June 2021 - 12:18 PM

Love the on ice feel of step steel , but they are a major pain to put back into Tuuk edge holder. like to take them out  , when I need to get them sharpened & don't want to leave whole skate in my truck , when I'm at work , gym , Ect. Is there a trick to make it easier. Thanks

#2 AARONSWORLD

AARONSWORLD

Posted 05 June 2021 - 12:57 PM

These Bauer blade remover tools work great. I always keep one in my bag 

https://puckstop.com...ge-removal-tool

#3 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 05 June 2021 - 01:09 PM

removing the step steel is not the problem , putting them back in is. I have to bang them to the floor & they don't click in easy. I feel like the edge trigger is going to break , doing that.

#4 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 05 June 2021 - 10:36 PM

Imo this is one of the big advantages of CCM XS holders, because the Edge trigger is spring action. XS feels much more sturdy.

As for the Edge, I use an oven mitt on my hand and just push. A towel if I'm not home.

#5 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 06 June 2021 - 08:36 AM

It's really not the holder , I have tried bauer , massiveblade & they go back in easy. Just the step , I guess it's because it's thicker.

#6 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 06 June 2021 - 12:39 PM

It's really not the holder , I have tried bauer , massiveblade & they go back in easy. Just the step , I guess it's because it's thicker.

Ramon Edge has the same issue

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

#7 Nazzy

Nazzy
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 09 June 2021 - 02:33 PM

Having the same issue..is there a good place to apply pressure or give it a tap?  Seems like only way to start is with the part towards the toe..but the nub just behind the center point isn't lining up.

#8 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:36 PM

Love the on ice feel of step steel , but they are a major pain to put back into Tuuk edge holder. like to take them out  , when I need to get them sharpened & don't want to leave whole skate in my truck , when I'm at work , gym , Ect. Is there a trick to make it easier. Thanks

Your skate must be new to the step steel, eventually it breaks in and inserting them will be easy. I've used step for a long time now, i always dump the stock steel and it's always a little stiff/hard to insert them at first. After a while it'll be fine. Just stick with it. 

Also if it's stiff then I change steel when I have my skates on and laced up. I'd remove the current steel then install the other set as much as i can by hand then just finish it off by stepping on it on the floor. Just make sure the steel is halfway in or so before putting your weight on it. Haven't had any issues. 

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#9 Nazzy

Nazzy
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:37 PM

Your skate must be new to the step steel, eventually it breaks in and inserting them will be easy. I've used step for a long time now, i always dump the stock steel and it's always a little stiff/hard to insert them at first. After a while it'll be fine. Just stick with it. 

Also if it's stiff then I change steel when I have my skates on and laced up. I'd remove the current steel then install the other set as much as i can by hand then just finish it off by stepping on it on the floor. Just make sure the steel is halfway in or so before putting your weight on it. Haven't had any issues. 

This worked for me, thanks!  Mine were new and hadn't had any steel in em..let alone step and I couldn't do it by hand until i stepped on them. 

#10 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 10 June 2021 - 09:43 PM

I just bought edge holders & step steel runners. sold the holders & returned the runners. going with the speedblade xs holders & stepsteel xs runners. don't want to have the edge's riveted & still have this problem. I have to take out the runners , when I get them sharpened after work , gym & don't want to leave whole skate in car.

#11 nicktsigos

nicktsigos

Posted 07 July 2021 - 12:36 AM

First few times I gave a pass with a heat gun near the trigger area and that helped.  It’s gotten way easier since then.