Photo

Forced to use certain gear?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:08 AM

A lot of the lower-tier professional leagues (ECHL, WHL, QMJHL, even AHL to a degree) have specific manufacturers of equipment that are required/provided to the players. In the AHL obviously they have the CCM contract; however, the players can chose models of gear under than brand. Some leagues, like ECHL, appear to provide their players with not only a specific brand, but even a model of pant/glove to use. In the ECHL for instance, some teams are using all of one specific Warrior model (Covert or Alpha).

Knowing that everyone here is a gear-head, I'd be curious how we'd all fair if required to use a specific gear set. Even more than that, what about some NHL players? Those who are very specific about their gear, if an NHL team suddenly said "here, we're all using Bauer Nexus pants and gloves."

What do you think? Would you even care at that point, if you were playing in the ECHL vying for a spot in the NHL someday?

Personally, I've tried all different types of gear, and the only three items that actually can affect my game are gloves, stick, and skates. Everything else is just preference on what's comfortable. I think if I was forced to use a certain brand and model, I'd adjust over time. I've played with all different models of gloves, and none of them really threw me off to the point I couldn't shoot the puck. I've also played with some very skilled players, and they couldn't care less what gloves or stick they had. I'll ask, "what flex are you using there?" And the answer will be "umm, dunno," and they'll look at the stick to check.

#2 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 17 June 2021 - 01:56 AM

As a true gear head, you should know that everything can be modded lol. For me it's just a matter of fit and comfort. As long as I can find something that fits or is close enough to adjust it so it's good, I wouldn't really care.

Also, there is gear I like from every brand, so no matter what I feel I'd be forced into, I think there's enough options out there that I'd be ok. The only thing that in theory would be an issue is stick and skates. In that case, I would probably just spray a stick black and use shot blockers to hide. Not sure if that's allowed, but that's what I'd do.

#3 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:05 AM

I would be able something I like in each brand.

The only thing I would want, is sticks to my specs. The rest I can get adjusted to I think.

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#4 nhlfan79

nhlfan79
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:12 AM

This is an interesting topic.  To me, pants and skates are the things I'm most particular about.  I tend not to notice much difference from glove to glove, but pants can be anywhere from slender to very bulky.  How they fit will affect how I stride when I skate.  I tried everything---from Reebok/CCM 520s, ULCP, and eventually HP35, HP45, and HP70, to then Bauer, and then to Warrior Hustlers and Franchise---all before I found that Warrior Covert pants work best for me.  As for skates, the forward pitch from brand to brand can be radically different.

So long as I have my preferred curve and flex, I could use any stick.  That said, I'm hoarding all of the Easton two-piece shafts and RH Iginla blades I ever come across!

#5 findursol

findursol
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:17 AM

I thought about this recently -- It's interesting that legitimate pros are using lower end gear in lower level leagues than most of us here. Gloves and skates aside I'd be fine with mostly whatever.

#6 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:18 AM

That said, I'm hoarding all of the Easton two-piece shafts and RH Iginla blades I ever come across!

So you're the other one? Lol

#7 nhlfan79

nhlfan79
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:28 AM

So you're the other one? Lol

:nw:

#8 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:06 PM

I think we tend to overestimate how picky most players are about their gear, especially in the pros. I'd be willing to bet 50% or more of NHL players couldn't even tell you what flex or curve they use if you asked them.

Plus I think most kids in the ECHL, WHL etc are more concerned with keeping their spot on the team than making waves about the gear they're issued. Maybe just my cynical view though. 

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

#9 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:48 PM

skates are the only thing I would insist on wearing what I want. I could roll with anything else, especially as a girdle wearer. slap on any shell and let's go! :)

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#10 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:52 PM

I think it depends honestly. Sticks can be modded and made for your specs regardless of make for pros on guessing but I like pretty stock stuff.

Helmet actually is a huge one for me. Most helmets Ive worn are very uncomfy. Only helmet I’ve Ever liked is the CCM v08. I’ve looked for more modern replacements but nothing felt good. So that would suck if it’s not a CCM endorsement. (If it was I’d be giddy lol)

Gloves I’m not picky. I have CCM, Sherwood, warrior, Reebok, Easton and prob more. Prefer my franchise but eh. All brands make a good 4 roll.

Pants a long as they fit eh. Worn super tacks since they’ve come out but shells exist too don’t forget. And under the jersey gear they don’t care about which is my big one. I’d hate to not be able to wear my jofa pads and CL shoulders haha.

#11 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 17 June 2021 - 01:45 PM

I thought about this at some point during quarantine when 'matching' gear was discussed. I've used various gear from the big 3 at one point or another so like others have said, I could find something I like or modify something to make it more to my liking. Skates are obviously the biggest thing, but I don't think any league has requirements for skates, do they? It's mostly pants/gloves/helmets

#12 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 17 June 2021 - 06:35 PM

I’m a CCM head to toe guy so most leagues would be no issue for me lol

#13 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:42 PM

Most pros don't care, or even honestly know what they are using. I get some guys are dialed completely in to specs thought. This isn't a toot my own horn type of post but I'm fairly close, and in the off season, skate with a couple guys in the national and the A. They don't care about technology like modern day consumers. Some of them have even used retail sticks because, "it's what they gave me." Literally a retail p92 and just doing their thing. I asked one, "hey, what flex do you use?" He responded with 100 flex, when I could clearly see by his player ID it was an 80, so I'd assume an equipment manager put the order in for him. These guys are just on another level and sometimes it's truly jaw dropping.

#14 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:49 AM

It's very true. At the same time you have guys like Kessel who literally hoards any stick that he ever had made. Like, if he gets a batch and likes them and has a dozen left at the end of the season, he brings them home and will keep them forever. And he's like one of the few guys still in the tech mesh skates. Point is that there's definitely a bunch of guys in the pros who are into their gear. There's way more who probably don't care. And most of the guys who are into it probably didn't get into it after some years in the Nat.

#15 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:29 PM

I'm particular about my helmet, gloves, stick, and shin guards. Other gear doesn't really matter to me. I rock One95 skates because they fit the best but I'm sure if I went full custom with any of the offerings from True/CCM/Bauer I wouldn't have an issue.

Custom everything.