Photo

So how different is the sizing on Jofa Made in Sweden Elbow Pads?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 07 December 2021 - 02:10 PM

Hi. I’ve always been a big jofa fan. I wear made in Sweden shin pads (5090 and 7k pro). I love both. Honestly I can’t pick a fave as I feel they both feel similar on the ice. Awesome protective and basic. No fancy straps or liners. Just shins.

Anyhow! I wear ccm CL shoulders as they’re so light but for elbow pads.

I’ve had tons that sucked and slid down my arm until I got a pair of 9135 retail yeaaaaars ago in size 5. They didn’t slip down and felt amazing. So protective. I ended up disliking the horrible bicep piece and plan to replace it. I’ll touch on that later.

Then I bought a pair of retail 9044 size 5. Fit almost identically with the 9135 but then bicep guard was waaaaaay better on them. I absolutely love these. They are so protective. Saved me a broken arm a month ago from a slap shot off the forearm. No bruise. No pain.

To fix my 9135, I bought a beat up pair of Large retail super tacks pads as the donor. I always have bought medium pads or size 5 jofa (medium). I put them on and they fit exactly like the jofa 5 even a bit shorter. This is why the sizing is confusing.

I’ve heard size medium 5 jofa in pro stock is like a size large 6 in retail pads. But if a large tacks that’s the modernish version (JDP cap) fits me no problem then how huge are these? I came very close to buying a pretty beat up pair of 7k pros. I’ve seen 9144 pros as well but out of my price range.

Ive heard the construction is even better then the jofa retail stuff which I find is awesome and very protective. I’m just concerned if I buy a size 5 it will be so huge even shortening the straps won’t help which I had to repair both because the elastic was stretched.

I was more just curious as I’ve heard lots of sizing confusion. Thanks for your help.

#2 xstartxtodayx

xstartxtodayx
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 December 2021 - 04:43 PM

I'm usually between a small and a medium (medium is the right length but I normally have to shorten the straps)... I bought a pair of 19K Pro elbows last year in medium/size 5 and they were HUGE, honestly massive, so I'd say the pro stock stuff still runs large (I'm currently in an older Jofa pro elbow in size 4/small that fits well, still had to shorten the straps a little but other than that they're great). 

With the modern CCM stuff I'd be curious if the models with retail counterparts (Tacks/Jetspeed) are sized like retail and the 19k type ones are sized like the Jofa pro stuff.

- Jon

#3 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:20 AM

I'm usually between a small and a medium (medium is the right length but I normally have to shorten the straps)... I bought a pair of 19K Pro elbows last year in medium/size 5 and they were HUGE, honestly massive, so I'd say the pro stock stuff still runs large (I'm currently in an older Jofa pro elbow in size 4/small that fits well, still had to shorten the straps a little but other than that they're great).
With the modern CCM stuff I'd be curious if the models with retail counterparts (Tacks/Jetspeed) are sized like retail and the 19k type ones are sized like the Jofa pro stuff.

the retail size 5 fits me bang on just shortened the straps coz they were worn. Dunno about brand new. I was shocked the large retail tacks fit so well. Even the made in China 19k are huge I didn’t know that. Lucky I didn’t buy the pair on sideline a bit back. I am seeing it’s not a made in “x”
Thing but a pro sizing thing.

So basically the size 5 Sweden is an XL retail pad. There’s no chance it would fit me then sadly. Size 4 is waaaaaay to rare and expensive to maybe fit. I think it’s overkill for protection and my 2003-2004 era pads are still mint.

#4 Chow_hound

Chow_hound

Posted 11 December 2021 - 01:34 AM

I’ll throw my 2 cents on the Jofa elbow pads as I’ve had dozens of retail and pro stock before.

I’ll challenge the sizing. Firstly, The size is going depend on the model. I don’t recommend comparing a 9135 to a 9144/9177 if you are specifically talking about the bicep guard portion as the cut of the guard is slightly different and will feel different even in the same size.

If you are comparing the same model to itself, such as 9144 size 5 vs 9144 size 6, the bicep guard is different in length of the mold and width too. This also applies to the forearm portion.

In determining size, This is where arm length is important as well as bicep width. Unless you have really built arms, size 4 or size 5 is what you need. The recommendations for player height on the tagging is not relevant as it depends on arm size and length.

For example, in retail or pro stock, The size 6 is recommended for players taller than 6’, and it’s true that pro stock models consider a pro level player having a muscular build. But it’s not a dramatic size difference compared to retail and a guy who is 6’4” with skinnier arms would have no chance wearing those pads.

Here is the important piece in my mind. A brand new pro stock size 5 is going to fit very differently than a used pro return size 5 elbow pad. It’s not just the straps that stretch out but the actual pad will feel different. The interior padding on a Jofa elbow while super durable will break down and stretch out with lots of use. If you are buying a brand new pad it will feel very similar to retail sizing.

I’m 6’, 180lbs and thinner build and can absolutely use a size 5 made in Sweden 7k pro with no issues. Same for a 9144 pro. I even used 9177 pro comfortably as I have longer arms.

If you are going to frankenpad, use retail.

If you want to take the plunge, I recommend a 7k pro in size 4 (harder to find) or a size 5 with the straps replaced if used.

#5 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 12 December 2021 - 11:36 AM

I’ll throw my 2 cents on the Jofa elbow pads as I’ve had dozens of retail and pro stock before.

I’ll challenge the sizing. Firstly, The size is going depend on the model. I don’t recommend comparing a 9135 to a 9144/9177 if you are specifically talking about the bicep guard portion as the cut of the guard is slightly different and will feel different even in the same size.

If you are comparing the same model to itself, such as 9144 size 5 vs 9144 size 6, the bicep guard is different in length of the mold and width too. This also applies to the forearm portion.

In determining size, This is where arm length is important as well as bicep width. Unless you have really built arms, size 4 or size 5 is what you need. The recommendations for player height on the tagging is not relevant as it depends on arm size and length.

For example, in retail or pro stock, The size 6 is recommended for players taller than 6’, and it’s true that pro stock models consider a pro level player having a muscular build. But it’s not a dramatic size difference compared to retail and a guy who is 6’4” with skinnier arms would have no chance wearing those pads.

Here is the important piece in my mind. A brand new pro stock size 5 is going to fit very differently than a used pro return size 5 elbow pad. It’s not just the straps that stretch out but the actual pad will feel different. The interior padding on a Jofa elbow while super durable will break down and stretch out with lots of use. If you are buying a brand new pad it will feel very similar to retail sizing.

I’m 6’, 180lbs and thinner build and can absolutely use a size 5 made in Sweden 7k pro with no issues. Same for a 9144 pro. I even used 9177 pro comfortably as I have longer arms.

If you are going to frankenpad, use retail.

If you want to take the plunge, I recommend a 7k pro in size 4 (harder to find) or a size 5 with the straps replaced if used.

thank you so much! For me it’s a length thing. Size 5 retail is perfect. I always have to shorten straps though. Both pairs I have are shortened. I just overlapped and sewed them. Finding new made in Sweden pads is very hard. I can’t afford $300+ for elbow pads.

Nothing at all against retail pads. I’ve just heard the Sweden ones are much better. I did successfully swap a tacks large arm guard on the 9135 and it’s much much better feeling. The bottom is perfect. I didn’t know the elbow cap area changed much from 35 to 44. I guess my 9044 feel a bit different. I never though about how they’d stretch out and get bigger and not just the straps but that completely makes sense. As long as they aren’t any longer I would be happy. No way 77 model would work I’m 5’4. It would come to my wrist.

#6 Chow_hound

Chow_hound

Posted 12 December 2021 - 02:50 PM

Yeah. For pricing I wouldn’t pay the $300 tag. If you have any NHL or high level Minor league affiliates you can find them closer to $100-$150.

Since you are 5’4” yes stick with 7k/9135/9144 in a size 4 or 5. The elbow cap itself was the same on the 9135-9144 but if you go into the 9035/9044 retail models they used a plastic cap with rivets instead of the foam overlay.

Glad you found a mod that worked!

#7 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 14 December 2021 - 02:57 AM

Yeah. For pricing I wouldn’t pay the $300 tag. If you have any NHL or high level Minor league affiliates you can find them closer to $100-$150.

Since you are 5’4” yes stick with 7k/9135/9144 in a size 4 or 5. The elbow cap itself was the same on the 9135-9144 but if you go into the 9035/9044 retail models they used a plastic cap with rivets instead of the foam overlay.

Glad you found a mod that worked!

thank you! Yeah I won’t pay that much. My 9135 were 20 and the 9044 25 or something.

I really want to hit up an equipment sale one day for an nhl team (Calgary or Edmonton) just haven’t had a chance. Wasn’t sure if they had more than gloves helmets sticks and jerseys. One day for sure.

I actually prefer the 9044 cap to the 9135/9144. I feel it fits my arm much better. I know they were changed in accordance to NHL rules I feel it stays in place better with the strapping style. I think I’m in the minority with that opinion haha