Photo

SLS Shipping BS

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 blazer88

blazer88
  • Locationlong island n.y

Posted 29 December 2021 - 12:12 AM

Never was a big fan with SLS , we supply the shipping label system. Their USPS label provide $50 insurance & Ups & Fedex $100. Their are times when , for example I just sold a pair of like new skate's for $380. So I want close to $380 insurance. So they said I can use my own shipping label & they would refund me what they charged the buyer for shipping , so I can live with that & been doing that for a few years now. Now they have a new policy , that if you use you own label , when they refund you what the buyer paid for shipping , they charge you a processing fee. so with this last transaction , I was charged $2.25 for using my own label. All because , they can't or don't want to come up with a way that sellers can properly insure their sales within their shipping system , ebay does it no problem. Also , you can not add more Insurance at Usps , Canada Post , Fedex , Ups with these SLS shipping labels , any coverage has to be done though SLS's shipping system / Vendor. SLS has been in business for almost 10 yrs now & they still can't figure this out. Processing fee for seller shipping refunds , Now that's Real  NICKEL & DIMEING  

#2 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:11 AM

I got screwed out of $300 for a lost package because they didn’t cover insurance for the actual cost of my item. Now I try to sell less expensive stuff and only sell within the US. I agree, how they handle shipping is an absolute mess

#3 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 29 December 2021 - 10:45 AM

Yes , god forbid your package using their label gets lost or damaged ,than  they don't want to hear anything. I have no problem using my own label & losing $5-10 to properly insure it. But charging a processing fee , when getting refunded for what the buyer paid for shipping is bullshit , like I said Nickel & Dimers

#4 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 29 December 2021 - 11:35 AM

I'm curios what the online reselling landscape will look like next year with the lowering of the threshold for 1099's to $600. 

#5 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 29 December 2021 - 01:13 PM

I'm curios what the online reselling landscape will look like next year with the lowering of the threshold for 1099's to $600.

eBay is already sending 1099s out to sellers. While I agree with op that sideline is dumb and very behind on a lot of things with their platform, given that I'm not interested in reporting the "income" I make for tax purposes, eBay is more or less out of the question, so my stuff is all gonna get listed on SLS and I've just accepted that fact. Sucks, but it's better than the alternative of paying taxes on reselling gear that probably just didn't fit or I didn't use and most of the time I'm already losing money on it, so to then pay taxes on trying to get something back is absurd.

#6 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 29 December 2021 - 02:35 PM

SLS changed shipments over 2lb to FedEx, most likely due to costs. Most of my shipments go cross-country. It usually takes 7-10 days for the shipment to be delivered, plus most buyers wait the 3 days before releasing the payment, so now it can take two weeks from shipment to the money hitting my bank account. I've had shipments to Toronto via Canada Post get there faster. Ridiculous. 

I got screwed out of $300 for a lost package because they didn’t cover insurance for the actual cost of my item. Now I try to sell less expensive stuff and only sell within the US. I agree, how they handle shipping is an absolute mess

Same here, but $100. SLS told me to F off and have USPS handle it, USPS denied the claim because there wasn't enough proof of a sale from SLS. I asked SLS for help again and the response was the same. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#7 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 30 December 2021 - 09:40 AM

Miller, SLS is now doing the same thing, i just requested a transfer to bank and they requested tax info as I exceeded a certain amount. My state is not listed but they said it is required by state law. Guess you cant have a hobby any more. They dont take into account I spent more on the gear in the first place then to actually sell it. In business isnt that a loss?

#8 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:13 AM

Miller, SLS is now doing the same thing, i just requested a transfer to bank and they requested tax info as I exceeded a certain amount. My state is not listed but they said it is required by state law. Guess you cant have a hobby any more. They dont take into account I spent more on the gear in the first place then to actually sell it. In business isnt that a loss?

Wow that sucks. Good thing I unloaded almost all of my excess gear when covid started. Haven't made a sale on SLS in a while

#9 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 30 December 2021 - 07:03 PM

Blame the Biden Adm , for this 1099 stuff.

#10 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:08 PM

God forbid should one have a hobby right?

#11 alereflammam

alereflammam

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:57 PM

Not sure how this works, Canada isn’t there yet, but couldn’t you incorporate into a “business” and deduct losses on your income?

(Not an accountant, talk to your finance pro)

#12 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 30 December 2021 - 11:29 PM

I get the whole tax thing, but the $600 threshold is absurd. What kind of business only operates with $600 worth of sales? Feels like there should be at minimum one additional zero there. Also agree about how we can be taxed for items we sold at a loss? My understanding is the 1099 is solely based on the amount sold, so you’d probably have to get your accountant involved to show receipts for when you originally purchased the item, or what the new price for that was. Either way, it’s a stupid change that impacts small people and not big organizations. Not sure what kind of tax gains the government feels they’re going to get by doing this to the little guy.

#13 jgp799

jgp799
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 31 December 2021 - 12:02 AM

Yeah, the threshold for sales used to be like $20k, so the drastic change to $600 is beyond absurd, I would agree.

#14 Maligator175

Maligator175
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 December 2021 - 03:06 AM

We are talking about the same IRS that tells people they need to report stolen items on their tax returns so they can be taxed on the stuff they stole...

#15 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 24 February 2022 - 07:56 PM

Got the notification from SLS today when trying to withdraw funds. Thought it was just eBay. Damn this tax change is so stupid. Will definitely be working with my accountant next year since most of what has been sold (with a few exceptions) is at a loss from retail or what I paid

#16 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 24 February 2022 - 10:08 PM

If you can produce receipts you should be fine honestly.

Just sold a pair of gloves, shipped to Canada and the automated label that sideline generated had the wrong weight.
Didn't check it as I've never had this issue and had no idea, but I ended up getting the package back and sideline told me that if I want to resend the package, I can pay the 25 dollar shipping fee.

I was like bruh, after fees in getting 40 bucks on these gloves and you want me to spend 25 to ship them? Ill just keep them and chop them up for the flex thumbs and poron liners. They left me negative feedback. Just removed all of my listings from my locker, put it up on Facebook market and one if the local Whatsapp groups for gear. Done with these boneheads

#17 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 27 February 2022 - 05:09 PM

Yep , SLS won't admit & don't care about their screwed up shipping system. 

#18 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 March 2022 - 06:04 PM

Not a shipping issue, but I didn't want to start a new thread. Is anyone else having trouble with double posts and editing/deleting listings? This site has been an unusable, glitchy mess for the last week. Customer service told me there was nothing wrong with their engineering and that the problem was on my end, but the issue has persisted on five different browsers over two different computers and my phone. Some of my listings get published twice, which is an issue because I cannot edit or delete these listings after they post. Newly posted listings also don't show up for 6+ hours. It's been about a week and nothing has improved. Everything is just, "something went wrong."

NyXGfxX.png

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#19 blazer88

blazer88

Posted 15 March 2022 - 10:11 PM

Yes , I have been having problems with the site for about a week too.

#20 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:04 PM

These morons let a buyer back out of a sale after I had shipped.  Literally told the buyer to refuse the FedEx package and ask for it to be returned to sender.  WTF?  So I took time out of my day to drive the package to a FedEx location and they let the buyer just nope out of the deal?  Where is the seller protection???  They are brokering deals between people and they can't even execute a good-faith transaction.

gallery_1044_1354_182010.jpg