Photo

FT4 Pro Shoulder Pads Too Hot

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 16 April 2022 - 01:40 PM

Last season I upgraded my 5-6 year old shoulder pads for a pair of FT4 Pros. Previously I was using CCM Quicklites (the version after CL and before FT1). The QL’s breathed amazingly well; likely due to the giant holes and plastic mesh panels. The FT4 Pros feel great to play in, but unlike the CLs or QLs, there is hardly any ventilation. A few small slots here and there, but not enough to generate any real air flow. After games my base layers and pants are absolutely soaked way more than ever before.

Bummed I got rid of the old QLs and haven’t been able to find any for sale. Nor can I find any CLs but those usually go for stupid money nowadays. Seriously debating about taking a drill and just punching a dozen or so holes in the foam of the FT4s. Is that crazy?!

Anyone else using the pads and feel the same about ventilation?

#2 alereflammam

alereflammam

Posted 16 April 2022 - 02:18 PM

Helps you burn more calories!

I have the quicklite shoulders right now and I love them.

#3 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 April 2022 - 03:19 PM

Although I personally wouldn't do it, I've done similar mods for clients before. I've installed eyelets in specific spots for more air flow. As long as you wipe down the eyelets and air the pads out after every use, they shouldn't rust. 

However, I'd wait out for some U+ CL or RBZ and sell the FT4. I've seen some pop up for under $100 recently. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#4 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 16 April 2022 - 03:50 PM

To me CLs are the perfect men's league shoulders. I agree with Jake on that one

#5 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 16 April 2022 - 07:09 PM

The thought of putting grommets in never even crossed my mind. I was literally just going to drill a few holes in the foam and leave it at that.

Guess I’ll keep an eye out for CLs or QLs. Thanks guys. If any of you come across a set in medium, I’m interested!

#6 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 16 April 2022 - 08:27 PM

If you do decide to add holes, don't use a drill. The drill bit can get caught in the material and forcefully rip it off the entire pad. This has happened with skate liners when I was a newbie and the feeling of ruining a perfectly good piece of gear is awful. Use an awl and build the hole up from there with a punch. If you don't want to add grommets or eyelets, make sure to rub some fabric glue around the edges to prevent fraying. I use "shoe goo" for most fabric repairs and it works like a charm after curing.

#7 BigCy76

BigCy76
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Posted 16 April 2022 - 09:08 PM

https://media3.giphy...5uCCgY8/200.gif

If you're considering selling off anything Bruins, CONTACT ME FIRST !!!

Feedback

#8 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 16 April 2022 - 09:10 PM

If you do decide to add holes, don't use a drill. The drill bit can get caught in the material and forcefully rip it off the entire pad. This has happened with skate liners when I was a newbie and the feeling of ruining a perfectly good piece of gear is awful. Use an awl and build the hole up from there with a punch. If you don't want to add grommets or eyelets, make sure to rub some fabric glue around the edges to prevent fraying. I use "shoe goo" for most fabric repairs and it works like a charm after curing.

I originally thought about a hole punch but would want something larger. Could probably fabricate my own, but I guess I’m going to leave them as-is and hunt down a pair of CLs

#9 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 17 April 2022 - 07:27 AM

What level do you play? Do you play with contact?

If so, I would remove some parts of them :D

I used mine once this year, (last week) and didn't notice any issues.

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#10 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 17 April 2022 - 10:33 AM

No contact but I have had two shoulder surgeries so I would prefer to keep the shoulder caps. There are other guys on my team that forgo shoulder pads entirely or only wear a padded shirt

#11 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 17 April 2022 - 02:25 PM

I’d just hold out for some RBZ/CL. They often pop up in waves- you either can’t find either or you can find like half a dozen different pairs.

#12 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 17 April 2022 - 03:47 PM

I’d just hold out for some RBZ/CL. They often pop up in waves- you either can’t find either or you can find like half a dozen different pairs.

100% this. I've seen Stick Fix, Fanelli, and other pro stock sellers get batches of them from time to time. 

#13 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 17 April 2022 - 08:28 PM

Ya I would hold out especially with seasons coming to an end and lots of pro sales starting soon, you're bound to find some.