Photo

Adidas won't seek to renew NHL uniform and apparel deal after 2023-24 season, league says

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Junkyard Athletic

Junkyard Athletic
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 July 2022 - 03:05 PM

https://www.espn.com...son-league-says

#threadcloser

#2 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 28 July 2022 - 03:28 PM

Love the Adidas jerseys, better grab a couple while I can

#3 Jcantrell16

Jcantrell16
  • LocationNevada

Posted 28 July 2022 - 04:43 PM

Maybe the lawsuit over "authentic" jerseys is one of many reasons why they didn't renew.

#4 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 28 July 2022 - 04:51 PM

Under armour?

#5 markov94

markov94
  • LocationSarnia Ont,...then Lakeland FLA....then back to Sarnia

Posted 28 July 2022 - 05:11 PM

Swoosh

#6 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 28 July 2022 - 05:15 PM

Swoosh

I'm erect

#7 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 28 July 2022 - 05:33 PM

I thought Nike had said something shortly after Adidas took over, but that may have simply been a rumor. While I've grown to like Adidas' on-ice jerseys (the retail 'authentic' product is garbage), their overall design was still a downgrade from Reebok EDGE. Nike Swift Olympic jerseys are cool and all, but their design template isn't any better. I've had a few Bauer and Under Armor game worn college jerseys that weren't bad

#8 Junkyard Athletic

Junkyard Athletic
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 July 2022 - 08:20 PM

Maybe the lawsuit over "authentic" jerseys is one of many reasons why they didn't renew.

Very doubtful.  This is 100% business decision.  The math is there; can't see how anyone can make the ends meet on the deal.

Under armour?

Doubtful.

Swoosh

They have the money but are they stupid enough to pull the trigger?

#threadcloser

#9 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 28 July 2022 - 08:36 PM

Very doubtful. This is 100% business decision. The math is there; can't see how anyone can make the ends meet on the deal.

Doubtful.

They have the money but are they stupid enough to pull the trigger?

At the price the NHL is gonna ask, who else besides Nike would even consider it profitable?

#10 Junkyard Athletic

Junkyard Athletic
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 July 2022 - 08:48 PM

At the price the NHL is gonna ask, who else besides Nike would even consider it profitable?

To my point, if adidas is out, is/was it profitable (marketing, revenue, etc.) at all?

#threadcloser

#11 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 28 July 2022 - 09:24 PM

To my point, if adidas is out, is/was it profitable (marketing, revenue, etc.) at all?

Right, but why not? Consider that a lot of hockey was lost to the pandemic, which definitely affects jersey sales. I'm sure there are other factors here, but the article mentioned the NHL doubling their fees, which is probably a big factor in driving up cost and destroying a lot of demand. Reebok jerseys were a lot cheaper, as I'm sure this community recalls, and the quality was equal if not usually better

#12 Junkyard Athletic

Junkyard Athletic
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:43 PM

Right, but why not? Consider that a lot of hockey was lost to the pandemic, which definitely affects jersey sales. I'm sure there are other factors here, but the article mentioned the NHL doubling their fees, which is probably a big factor in driving up cost and destroying a lot of demand. Reebok jerseys were a lot cheaper, as I'm sure this community recalls, and the quality was equal if not usually better

IMO, adidas game jerseys are much better made than the Reebok jerseys. I think the job that 3B has done in the former adidas facility has been great!

Also keep in mind that this factory is fully vertical, unlike many other factories, thus allowing them to make changes on the fly.

#threadcloser

#13 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 28 July 2022 - 11:24 PM

I love the quality of the mic jerseys but the overseas are trash. I was referring more to the design though. Especially the collars on some of the away jerseys are awfully done, but to their credit they have fixed plenty of them.

#14 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 29 July 2022 - 04:31 AM

Who's gonna buy the Montreal factory from Adidas? 

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#15 alereflammam

alereflammam

Posted 29 July 2022 - 06:23 AM

I hope it doesn’t go to fanatics.

#16 markov94

markov94
  • LocationSarnia Ont,...then Lakeland FLA....then back to Sarnia

Posted 29 July 2022 - 07:29 AM

I tie my guess back to the fact the NHL is back on ESPN...It could go back to Reebok or to UA..

I think the Count will push hard to get Nike .

#17 Junkyard Athletic

Junkyard Athletic
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 July 2022 - 07:38 AM

Who's gonna buy the Montreal factory from Adidas? 

3B bought the jersey factory from adidas years ago.

I tie my guess back to the fact the NHL is back on ESPN...It could go back to Reebok or to UA..

I think the Count will push hard to get Nike .

Doubt to no chance UA does it.  Their stock is way down over the past 52 months and spending $70m/USD per season isn't in their wheelhouse.

It's not whether "the Count" will push hard to get Nike.  The question is who is willing to pony up the dollars to do it?

#threadcloser

#18 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 29 July 2022 - 03:36 PM

You're right... they produce for Adidas. I forgot. 

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#19 iceman8310

iceman8310
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 12:54 PM

Doubt to no chance UA does it. Their stock is way down over the past 52 months and spending $70m/USD per season isn't in their wheelhouse.

It's not whether "the Count" will push hard to get Nike. The question is who is willing to pony up the dollars to do it?

What company is 3b? Never heard of it

#20 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 30 July 2022 - 07:16 PM

Formerly SP Apparel I believe

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.