Photo

Elbow Pad Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 06 November 2022 - 11:56 PM

I think I’m finally done with the 7k/19k elbow pad design. I find that they offer a ton of protection, but I never feel like my elbow is locked in place and I find that they’re always sliding down. I wore RBZ for a while and really liked them but felt they were lacking some forearm coverage. I also wore the FT1 and found that they also slid down a ton.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

#2 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 07 November 2022 - 12:15 AM

Why not just add a slash guard to the rbz is you like them?

#3 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 07 November 2022 - 12:21 AM

Because I sold them years ago and they’re impossible to find now

#4 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 07 November 2022 - 01:15 AM

https://sidelineswap...dard-protection

This guy makes something similar

#5 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 07 November 2022 - 02:41 AM

I have started wearing elbow compression sleeves in my 20K elbows and find they never slide down even though I keep the middle strap really loose so my arm isn't C3PO locked. I'm tall and skinny and I bought XLs for the forearm coverage and still have no slippage. I don't notice the elbow sleeves once my pads are on.

I've considered other pads, but nothing I ever try on is nearly as comfortable as the 20K style.

#6 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 07 November 2022 - 07:38 AM

For slippage, I started wearing base layers with fold over sleeves like warroad (on sale) or shock doctor. Been using these for almost a year now and they’ve been extremely helpful

2v2amZ6prx1YqB.jpg

Not sure on your size, but if you liked the RBZ, I find the Quicklites pretty comparable. They don’t have very beefy forearm protection but move well and can be locked down pretty good

https://sidelineswap...code=Mdwsta4413

#7 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 16 November 2022 - 03:17 AM

I know you say you don’t like that style of pad but I wear 9044/9144 and I just use my under layer and roll it up over the end of the pad. I’ve always shortened the straps. The post above is a great idea too.

I have worn newer super tacks pads and find they fit more shallow? Kinda in the elbow and they stay in place well. I just don’t need to replace my jofa pads. That’s the only reason I don’t have the newer tack stuff.

#8 Johnson

Johnson

Posted 17 November 2022 - 12:48 AM

I don’t wear a shit under my pads and the ccm ft4 pros have been great to me

#9 markov94

markov94
  • LocationSarnia Ont,...then Lakeland FLA....then back to Sarnia

Posted 17 November 2022 - 03:19 PM

I have always had good luck with the Ultra tacks and wear a 3" slash guard...I play only pickup so I really don't have to gauntlet up..

#10 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 18 November 2022 - 08:57 AM

I’m going to give the base layer fold back technique a try. It looks like Andrei Svechnikov does something like that too. 

#11 flip12

flip12

Posted 01 December 2022 - 05:57 AM

I just switched from Reebok 20Ks to JetSpeed 485s. It looks like the upcoming elbow at that position in the 2023 JetSpeed lineup is going to have a simple neoprene anchor strap that just goes from one side to the other, instead of criss-crossing through a loop. I don't think I'd like that new style of anchoring system as much. The strapping keeps my pads from sliding around, but allows more natural motion than the 20K by far. They cover just as much of the forearm as well. They're not as beefy and the JDP shell doesn't extend as far down the forearm, but they're a lot lighter, so it's a tradeoff.

#12 Dasuchin

Dasuchin
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 December 2022 - 04:52 PM

Any thoughts on FT4 Pro vs ASV Pro? I'm ready for another pair but can't decide between the two.

#13 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 08 December 2022 - 04:56 PM

Of you like 2 piece, asv, of you like a 3 piece, ft4

#14 Dasuchin

Dasuchin
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 December 2022 - 05:31 PM

Of you like 2 piece, asv, of you like a 3 piece, ft4

Only elbows I've had are STX RX3, so I don't even know which I'd prefer. I hear good things about the tacks design, but not sure if I'd find them too bulky or anything.

#15 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 08 December 2022 - 06:13 PM

Only elbows I've had are STX RX3, so I don't even know which I'd prefer. I hear good things about the tacks design, but not sure if I'd find them too bulky or anything.

If you like the rx3 then ft4 will probably be your best bet.

#16 xstartxtodayx

xstartxtodayx
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 December 2022 - 06:21 PM

The Tacks design is the same they've been using for years, they just change up some of the straps and graphics a little so they can sell a new model but the shape and fit has basically been the same for a long time.  The Tacks is not too bulky at all... I have thinner arms (usually between a small and a medium) and Tacks mediums fit me perfectly once I shorten the straps.  I haven't tried the FT4's but they look pretty nice, a lot less bulky than the FT1's which had a massive elbow cap (I've had FT1's and RBZ's before that, the RBZ's were awesome but FT1's were just too bulky and didn't feel right).  If you're coming from STX's my first thought would be to try the FT1 since it's also 3 piece design, if you can try them both on in a store I'd def do that.

- Jon

#17 flip12

flip12

Posted 09 December 2022 - 04:02 AM

Any thoughts on FT4 Pro vs ASV Pro? I'm ready for another pair but can't decide between the two.

Biggest difference to me is the elbow cap. It looks the same, but there's a slight difference in depth in the FT4, maybe 4-5mm. That takes away the hyper-extension protection offered by the deeper Tacks version, but the Tacks' deep cap puts you in C-3PO mode or forces you to cheat the hyper-extension fiture (feature that works as a function of the fit of the elbow in the pocket of the cap), as a lot of pros do. The first time I wore my 485s, the improved smoothness of arm movement was noticeable immediately, with the middle strapped snug instead of loose as hell as I had resorted to on my 20Ks.

Difference between FT4 Pro (and FT4) and FT485 for me was in the strapping. The neoprene segment is just a few mm too long on the XL that I wear (6'2.5" with long arms @80kg--pretty Gumby in the arms) so the simple 1" elastic strap on the 485 was perfect. The lower weight is also nice and they're plenty protective, even if a bit simpler feature-wise. Forearm coverage was just as good as on my 20Ks...I'm not sure if the FT4 Pro and FT4 are as long in the forearm.

#18 jagrnaut

jagrnaut
  • LocationMeridian, ID

Posted 16 December 2022 - 11:37 AM

I really like the Bauer Pro series elbow pads.  Someone was selling a few pairs on facebook.  I used to wear jofas and these are my new favorite.  Tons of protection, super light, no gaps in protection.  I value my elbow pads as I broke it years ago playing, totally dislocated and snapped out of the joint.

#19 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 16 December 2022 - 12:28 PM

I really like the Bauer Pro series elbow pads.  Someone was selling a few pairs on facebook.  I used to wear jofas and these are my new favorite.  Tons of protection, super light, no gaps in protection.  I value my elbow pads as I broke it years ago playing, totally dislocated and snapped out of the joint.

I actually ended up picking up a pair and i really, really like them. Similar to the Jofa but I feel like I get more of an elbow lock with the middle strap and I haven’t had any issues with slippage. 

#20 Dasuchin

Dasuchin
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 December 2022 - 04:00 PM

I ordered a pair of AS-V Pro and FT4 Pro, so we'll see how they end up feeling.