Photo

Tuuk Steel Types and Quality

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 afrozenpond

afrozenpond
  • LocationUtica, NY

Posted 16 March 2023 - 11:18 AM

I am replacing 12 year old skates. My new Bauer skates have the triggered steel and are missing blades. It seems as though there are many levels of quality with blades nowadays.
Can someone educate me, please, on the best to worst. Thank you.

#2 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 16 March 2023 - 12:57 PM

Best Step/JRZ. Worst, most Bauer although Pulse TI is supposed to be good. Other good alternatives are Bladetech and Tydan. There are others, but my mind is drawing a blank at the moment

#3 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 16 March 2023 - 01:31 PM

I’m not a fan of the black or mirrored steel, and I’ve found I prefer TyDan steel over others I’ve tried.

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

#4 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 16 March 2023 - 01:44 PM

My son has 2 sets of Pulse TI and a set of Pulse and they seem to hold a real good edge and he skates 5 or 6 times a week. Broke 2 sets of LS3 very quickly so would not recommend those.

#5 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 16 March 2023 - 03:32 PM

I'm a fan of Tydan and Bladetech these days, step is great if you can get it

#6 afrozenpond

afrozenpond
  • LocationUtica, NY

Posted 16 March 2023 - 04:43 PM

Great info. Thanks. Step Steel in 288 seems tough to find.

#7 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 March 2023 - 04:44 PM

There is no consensus "best to worst" list, as there are many different factors and preferences involved. Some players like the harder coatings, some like the classic stainless steel. Most people agree that Step is at the top and lasts the longest between sharpenings. No matter which steel you choose, make sure you're going to a sharpener and profiler that knows what they're doing. A good sharpening and profiling on a set of lower-end set of steel is better than a bad sharpening on a set of high-end steel. One bad sharpener can jack up the profile and grind down the toes/heels, ruining any set of steel. 

From sharpening and skating on the following sets, this is my personal order based on durability and edge retention. All are sharpened to Flat Bottom V 95/75 and profiled to 10'. 

1. Step/JRZ Blacksteel - these are rare for Edge holders and will cost $200+, but worth the price IMO

2. Bladetech DLC - black and gold

3. Step V-Steel & stainless - also rare for Edge holders, will run around $150 new, $100 used

4. Tydan, Byonic, Bauer Pulse TI, pro stock Bauer LS3 

5. Retail Bauer LS3, LS4, LS5, Pulse

6. Retail Bauer & CCM stock steel, including the "black steel" which is just paint

X. I can't comment on True steel, RamonEdge, MassiveBlade, etc as I've never used them. 

These are the different types of steel I currently have in my personal collection. Most of it is Step Blacksteel with a few others mixed in. NOTHING PICTURED IS FOR SALE.  

b6a02f5e80b38e5c_original.jpeg

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#8 Buzz_LightBeer

Buzz_LightBeer

Posted 16 March 2023 - 05:56 PM

I used a set of RamonEdge, not enough to have an opinion on it, but enough to notice that it seems wider than the holder will accomodate and takes quite a bit of work to get it seated properly. Not the best for changing on the fly

Good Idea; Whistling while you work.

Bad Idea; Whistling while you eat.

#9 alereflammam

alereflammam

Posted 16 March 2023 - 06:01 PM

Jake’s list would also reflect my experiences with various steel - only skating on them, not sharpening etc

#10 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 16 March 2023 - 06:47 PM

In short, send them to Jake!!

#11 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 16 March 2023 - 07:59 PM

set up searches on SLS and eBay. I’ve gotten a number of sets both new and sharpened once at a significant discount. Just gotta be patient sometimes for the right size to come up 

#12 alereflammam

alereflammam

Posted 17 March 2023 - 06:19 AM

I changed to XS holders so that I could continue to use Step Black. Might be worth considering.

XS Step Black is readily available

#13 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 17 March 2023 - 09:38 AM

Check CJ's Edge Workx in Manitoba.  He has an Instagram account, too.  He had some sets of 288 Step Blacksteel for the LS Edge holders.

#14 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 17 March 2023 - 01:25 PM

+1 for CJ's. I've bought tons of Blacksteel from him in the past. 

#15 paulvellaperez

paulvellaperez

Posted 01 April 2023 - 09:06 AM

Jake, do you have any Step 263 or pro stock LS3? Thanks.

#16 paulvellaperez

paulvellaperez

Posted 01 April 2023 - 12:51 PM

Been reading about the bladetech and its flexible design. Anyone here have a negative experience with how this feels? Deciding between BT Black or Bauer Pulse Ti.
Same price point.

#17 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 01 April 2023 - 03:09 PM

Jake, do you have any Step 263 or pro stock LS3? Thanks.

Everything I have for sale is already listed on this site and I do not have anything else. If it's not listed, it's not for sale. I am not a store and do not have an inventory.

#18 paulvellaperez

paulvellaperez

Posted 01 April 2023 - 07:20 PM

Got it. Thanks.

#19 Monty22

Monty22

Posted 02 April 2023 - 05:04 PM

Been reading about the bladetech and its flexible design. Anyone here have a negative experience with how this feels? Deciding between BT Black or Bauer Pulse Ti.
Same price point.

My son was on a set of black DLC Bladetech for the True shift holder this year for his high school season. It sharpens and maintains an edge well and the steel itself is of good quality. There is a lot of movement forward/aft, which I don't think is supposed to be like that. He never noticed any "spring board"  effect.  I found a couple of sets cheap on Sideline and put some of my teammates on it  (CCM and Tuuk Edge holders) with no complaints, and much firmer lock up.  

#20 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 02 April 2023 - 05:44 PM

I’ve owned Bladetech for Bauer and CCM holders. It’s fine, but I can’t say I notice anything different about them apart from the dual radius. Don’t feel less pressure on my knees or anything like that