Photo

New Kovalchuk Curve on Other Sticks

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 04 May 2023 - 04:15 PM

Has anyone seen curves like the new Kovalchuk (big toe hook) from PSHS on other sticks such as CCM, Warrior, Bauer, etc? Right handed, 65-70 flex. I've been looking around, but have yet to find anything matching my specs. I love PSHS and they are some of the best sticks I've ever used, but I'm always keeping my mind open to try other sticks as well. I may want some sticks for pond hockey that I don't have to worry about breaking. 

Kovalchuk (new):

KOVALCHUK_ProStockHockeyStick_Curve_Righ

The closest I have yet to find are the following. Has anyone tried these curves along with the new Kovalchuk? 

Right - Dean Ostrovsky Alpha LX Pro 'Dressed as Covert QR5 Pro' 85 Flex Stick - 85 flex is a bit much since I cut my sticks 3", but the curve looks very close. I'm also hesitant about using the Alpha LX since most reviews seem to say it breaks very easily.  https://www.prostock...-85-flex-stick/

2009-01-0072-c__59405.1680700313.1280.12

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#2 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 04 May 2023 - 04:43 PM

Fit true. I wear large in general and in these as well

#3 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 04 May 2023 - 07:17 PM

Fit true. I wear large in general and in these as well

Thanks, I ended up grabbing the mediums. 

New topic. 

#4 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 04 May 2023 - 08:42 PM

The Point curve is sick, but it does not play line the new Kovy. Absolutely no rocker, squared off toe, heel of the blade is flat like p88, does not open up as much by the toe.

#5 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:32 AM

I ended up getting the two Dean Ostrovsky LX sticks from PSH since I had $70 in credit. The flex is stiffer than I usually use, but I'm going to give these a shot. Worst case scenario, I'll use them as my pond hockey gamers or sell. 

Anyone else that can find this exact curve or something very similar? If so, post them here and let me know. 

#6 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 15 May 2023 - 10:18 AM

PSH had Kovalchuk overstocks a while back, but the lowest flex they had was 85, I think. Some PSH Kovys were up for sale 6-8 months ago on Kleinanzeigen (eBay’s more local classified platform in Germany; a random treasure shows up now and then). I think they were new Kovys. Those are the only times I’ve seen that curve on anything. He’s got that box shaft shape a lot of people dislike.

#7 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 15 May 2023 - 11:51 AM

PSH had Kovalchuk overstocks a while back, but the lowest flex they had was 85, I think. Some PSH Kovys were up for sale 6-8 months ago on Kleinanzeigen (eBay’s more local classified platform in Germany; a random treasure shows up now and then). I think they were new Kovys. Those are the only times I’ve seen that curve on anything. He’s got that box shaft shape a lot of people dislike.

I've tried his 90+ flex from a former coworker of mine and I agree about the boxy shaft. I bought two Dean Ostrovsky sticks on PSH, which have standard-shaped shafts. The curve is the exact same, but the flex is a bit stiff since I had to cut them down. I'll most likely stick with my PRO sticks, but am always on the lookout for the new Kovalchuk RH 70ish flex unicorn. 

#8 flip12

flip12

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:39 PM

I've tried his 90+ flex from a former coworker of mine and I agree about the boxy shaft. I bought two Dean Ostrovsky sticks on PSH, which have standard-shaped shafts. The curve is the exact same, but the flex is a bit stiff since I had to cut them down. I'll most likely stick with my PRO sticks, but am always on the lookout for the new Kovalchuk RH 70ish flex unicorn. 

How does the Kovalchuk curve compare to the P28? I'm tempted by both PSHS Kovalchuks because I love the P28 except for the square heel. Sometimes passes and pick-offs slide underneath the blade at the far end of my reach.

Also, how's the blade durability?

#9 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:53 PM

It's got way more toe than the P28. Way more. I also went from P28 to this, and it's my favorite curve I've ever used. Blade durability on these from PSHS is top notch, I've broken three this year, none on the blade, not even so much as a crack or gone soft yet. Highly recommended.

#10 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 06 June 2023 - 06:12 PM

It's got way more toe than the P28. Way more. I also went from P28 to this, and it's my favorite curve I've ever used. Blade durability on these from PSHS is top notch, I've broken three this year, none on the blade, not even so much as a crack or gone soft yet. Highly recommended.

This is exactly what I was going to say. The PRO sticks are my favorite sticks, regardless of brand. They may not have the same technology as a $350 stick from Bauer or CCM, but I feel like having custom specs tailored to my liking is more important, especially in beer league.

Here are the Kovalchuk and P28 side by side:

659a5b0d2132294b_original.jpeg

#11 flip12

flip12

Posted 07 June 2023 - 06:10 AM

This is exactly what I was going to say. The PRO sticks are my favorite sticks, regardless of brand. They may not have the same technology as a $350 stick from Bauer or CCM, but I feel like having custom specs tailored to my liking is more important, especially in beer league.

Thanks for the feedback. I've only heard good things, and I'm like you Golden Gate Sharpening--much more interested in spec than tech.

It's a little hard to tell, is the Kovalchuk straighter at the heel than the P28 as well? It looks more like a Gionta curve from this view of it.

#12 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 07 June 2023 - 02:19 PM

I'd say the heels are very similar. Didn't notice much of a difference in play. The middle is a bit straighter towards the giant curve.

#13 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 07 June 2023 - 04:37 PM

The heels feel very similar. The P28 heel may be slightly more open, but passes feel the same. I like to toe drag and shoot snap shots form the toe, so the new Kovalchuk PP17 is the perfect curve for me. If you're a forward that shoots a lot but wants a little more "oomf" than the P28, you will probably like this curve. It's surprisingly easy to control if you're coming from a P28 or another toe curve. I was using the P28 for about a decade (when it was still called the Kreps curve and only pro stock) before I switched to the PP17, so your results may vary. 

#14 flip12

flip12

Posted 08 June 2023 - 02:19 PM

The heels feel very similar. The P28 heel may be slightly more open, but passes feel the same. I like to toe drag and shoot snap shots form the toe, so the new Kovalchuk PP17 is the perfect curve for me. If you're a forward that shoots a lot but wants a little more "oomf" than the P28, you will probably like this curve. It's surprisingly easy to control if you're coming from a P28 or another toe curve. I was using the P28 for about a decade (when it was still called the Kreps curve and only pro stock) before I switched to the PP17, so your results may vary. 

The biggest deal for me in a curve is that the deepest part of the curve is between the middle and the toe. Whether it's a shallower version similar to PSHS' Barkov, or a deeper one (deepest I have is either Gionta or Malkin Eastons) doesn't make too big of a difference. If the Kovalchuks play like a P28, I'm sure I'll be happy. The only thing I really don't like about P28 is that heel portion I mentioned, and it's something I could live with. But the option of having something similar with a little less loft like the Thrashers Kovalchuk is appealing. I'm thinking of ordering one of each Kovalchuk. The pricing is just incredible for the options...I just already have way too many sticks as it is. 

#15 flip12

flip12

Posted 08 June 2023 - 04:36 PM

Looking at this again and again, but which one is Kovalchuk and which one P28?

#16 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 08 June 2023 - 05:01 PM

Looking at this again and again, but which one is Kovalchuk and which one P28?

P28 on the left, Kovy on the right

#17 WheelSnipe

WheelSnipe

Posted 09 June 2023 - 05:46 AM

The biggest deal for me in a curve is that the deepest part of the curve is between the middle and the toe. Whether it's a shallower version similar to PSHS' Barkov, or a deeper one (deepest I have is either Gionta or Malkin Eastons) doesn't make too big of a difference. If the Kovalchuks play like a P28, I'm sure I'll be happy. The only thing I really don't like about P28 is that heel portion I mentioned, and it's something I could live with. But the option of having something similar with a little less loft like the Thrashers Kovalchuk is appealing. I'm thinking of ordering one of each Kovalchuk. The pricing is just incredible for the options...I just already have way too many sticks as it is. 

I've tried both Kovys as well as a ton of curves from PSHS. The new Kovy is the best for me, as GGS said, pops like a P28 with a canon on it. I just got my fourth batch of customs in last night. The pricing for the options is insane, and they are great about warranty as well, I'm a huge fan. I similarly have a ton of sticks, but I'm just gonna offload the bauers/warriors, and keep the PSHS ones.

#18 markov94

markov94
  • LocationSarnia Ont,...then Lakeland FLA....then back to Sarnia

Posted 09 June 2023 - 09:30 AM

I have the PSHS Kovy and I love it, when I hit a slump or I am bored I will go to my Hossa for short time then go back to the Kovy..

Great for 3 foot and in guys like me.... :D

#19 flip12

flip12

Posted 09 June 2023 - 02:54 PM

P28 on the left, Kovy on the right

Thanks. I thought so, but looked at it so much I started to doubt.

I've tried both Kovys as well as a ton of curves from PSHS. The new Kovy is the best for me, as GGS said, pops like a P28 with a canon on it. I just got my fourth batch of customs in last night. The pricing for the options is insane, and they are great about warranty as well, I'm a huge fan. I similarly have a ton of sticks, but I'm just gonna offload the bauers/warriors, and keep the PSHS ones.

Being in Europe, the price may be even more shocking. Equipment is so expensive here. To get a stick with Eastonesque specs at 400g and a nonstandard curve for less than $200 is insane.

I have the PSHS Kovy and I love it, when I hit a slump or I am bored I will go to my Hossa for short time then go back to the Kovy..

Great for 3 foot and in guys like me.... :D

Aside from P28, my favorite curve is my Base Hossa. It sounds like that's the curve neighborhood of people who like the Kovalchuk patterns. I'm pretty sure I'll go for one of each. And I'll be a little less gentle on my basement stash from now on :drool: