Photo

2023-2024 Pro Stock Sightings

• Please log in to reply
16541 replies to this topic

#13701 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

My go to is NCAA pro stock. They have limited options so it stays consistent. I get my p28 and I get non-SE model the end.

#13702 bluelinebully

bluelinebully
  • LocationMontco, PA

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:31 AM

Anyone have a pie chart or percentages on the current skater use percentages in the nhl? Just curious to see how much more true is being used. Definitely would be interesting.

According to PSH, it’s about 12% in True.

https://www.geargeek.com/#equip_Skates
Max steez.

I know a lot more than you about collecting bud, so save the shit

#13703 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

That sounds like some men’s league True koolaid talking. True/VH didn’t “shake up” anything or provoke the giants. Bauer’s 3D skate lab is not some revolutionary end all be all to skate fitment and the last time I checked even some pros had to drive to Quebec to get a last done if their foot or have a kit sent to them. I’ve been in customs for almost 5 years now, fit by the guys who work with big name guys and I also have some buddies that have talked to me about their skates, orders and the other guys in the locker room. CCM custom, pro rep or not, Bauer custom pro rep or not and the same goes for VH... it’s not some point and click magic to get custom skates to work. Many guys are trial and error troubleshooting fitment specs and tweaking every order. I’ve also heard it how much a nightmare CCM can be with skates as well as the other guys but this mold/3D scan isn’t revolutionary. Neither is True, I personally don’t know a single guy in a pair but I do know they’re tried to make skates for those same guys who said no thanks and never ended up wearing em. What I DO know is that between men’s league hockey, modsquad and here people seem to have some red rocket for True this and True that when the stuff just isn’t that damn good.

Quite the contrary, custom skates aren't perfect (not sure where people keep getting this idea), in fact, I write about that problem and the issues around even getting custom skates that I had experienced here.

I see 1-3 guys per team at the absolute max.

Does not compute. The cult of True really makes me laugh sometimes.

I think the fact that you're seeing any player on a team using them shows that there is a market (even if small --  remember, this started out on 1 player's foot, just 4 years ago and True has only been in the skate market for 1 of them). Also, I'm unaware of the "True cult" as I personally never heard anyone talk about them (nor have I recommended True skates to anyone). Perhaps in other cities, they're touted like Apple products, but not so much here.

On the Sharks:

Aaron Dell

Barclay Goodrow

- Brenden Dillon

Chris Tierney

Dylan Demelo

Joakim Ryan

- Joe Pavelski

- Joel Ward

- Martin Jones

- Melker Karlsson

- Tomas Hertl

- Tim Heed

Troy Grosenick

#13704 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:24 AM

Quite the contrary, custom skates aren't perfect (not sure where people keep getting this idea), in fact, I write about that problem and the issues around even getting custom skates that I had experienced here.

I think the fact that you're seeing any player on a team using them shows that there is a market (even if small -- remember, this started out on 1 player's foot, just 4 years ago and True has only been in the skate market for 1 of them). Also, I'm unaware of the "True cult" as I personally never heard anyone talk about them (nor have I recommended True skates to anyone). Perhaps in other cities, they're touted like Apple products, but not so much here.

On the Sharks:
- Aaron Dell
- Barclay Goodrow
- Brenden Dillon
- Chris Tierney
- Dylan Demelo
- Joakim Ryan
- Joe Pavelski
- Joel Ward
- Martin Jones
- Melker Karlsson
- Tomas Hertl
- Tim Heed
- Troy Grosenick

Koolaid.

MLX, VH, True...

This is not some “OMG True skates have only been around a year and now they’re “Taking the NHL BY STORM” and getting the big guys to change things *Bauer/CCM*...

This is just a year with the True tag on them... this isn’t a NEW skate formula. But let me guess the Marsblade holder is going to take over too?

True was making garbage sticks branded as CCM and while the newest stuff isn’t bad... it isn’t some holy crap stick/skate scene. You have some guys wearing VHTrueMLX whatever you feel like calling them skates but they are not even close to Bauer/CCM numbers or influence.

#13705 Steelnation248

Steelnation248

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

Four years ago? You’re giving these skates way too much credit. Have you forgotten about Mako, MLX, or Kor skates? This idea isn’t new.

#13706 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

Four years ago? You’re giving these skates way too much credit. Have you forgotten about Mako, MLX, or Kor skates? This idea isn’t new.

VH skates in particular.

#13707 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

VH skates in particular.

The only storm here is a koolaid storm.

https://i.imgur.com/qUtlk6k.jpg

#13708 NovaHands

NovaHands
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

I got True skates and my points-per-game went up 40 basis points.

True story...

#13709 Adam

Adam

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:11 PM

I dont think that's an accurate comparison between custom skates and custom sticks. for starters true has no inventory or retail landscape on skates, nor are there any models lower than their pro level skate, Bauer for example not only has 3 full lines with 5+ price points in skates but in sticks as well. This makes it much easier for true to produce considering they are only making 1 thing.

If you look at the science fair post about a stick build on the last page, the custom options that everybody offers are overwhelming.

It probably isnt worth their time to open up to retail consumers since they have such a stacked list of clients at a pro level

#13710 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

Custom sticks are available already. You just need to know where to look. I know where to put in an order for custom sticks from any manufacturer but I still don’t. Why? Because I’m not good enough to justify the price. I can find sticks all day long for $100-150 brand new and current/top of the line. While many don’t go that route there’s next to no reason for me to shell out $200-300 for them. It’s also awkward when I’m playing next to a guy that’s shooting missles with a CCM Tacks 4052 Stick that he got on sale at hockey monkey while I’m gleaming in my 4th line pro Stock glory getting blanked 2 games in a row with my fresh twigs. I ordered a mybauer Stick once and that was more than enough minus that stupid fingerprint graphic.

#13711 Cavs019

Cavs019

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

Not to mention again- 90% of the orders will be P28s or P92s from some men’s league wacko that thinks they need team matching graphics and an 88.345 flex instead of an 87.

#13712 Steelnation248

Steelnation248

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:08 PM

Which still came after the Makos, MLX, etc. 

Are we going to say that the TotalOne revolutionized hockey by making the first mid-kick stick too by just ignoring everything that came before it?

#13713 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:13 PM

I personally think the true skate at retail is one of the worst things ever most stores I’ve seen or heard from hardly sell any. Most parents tend to want to buy a skate with “growing room” wether that is correct or not is not the point but that is what they want. You don’t buy a growing kid a “custom” fit skate. Most parents or even men’s leaguers also don’t look at thier kids or themesleves and think “man I’m gonna need skates in 6 weeks I should go ahead and order and pay now” most people only buy skates out of nessicity once they need them just like sticks. That does exclude pros and most people here which is why true has had some success with pros and higher end customers but as a general whole it’s a very flawed plan. Even then I find the skate heavy and bulky and would only ever consider it if I had a bad foot abnormality other brands didn’t fit me right for. As far as I’m aware that was VH’s entire business plan to help find a solution for people who couldn’t comfortably wear off the shelf that needed a solution, not to try and out sell any other brand and offer custom to everyone. Because of true now trying to push it so much you are also getting a very limited “custom” skate compared to what VH produced early on, essentially a team custom or my bauer version of a skate

#13714 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:36 PM

Are we going to say that the TotalOne revolutionized hockey by making the first mid-kick stick too by just ignoring everything that came before it?

I mentioned VH skates shook up the market (about 12% according to blueline's link), but never stated their skates were revolutionary nor new. However, when compared to Bauer Skate Co (est. 1927) and CCM Hockey (est 1905), they (VH Footwear) have taken away some of the market share within a relatively short period. And, in my opinion, this pushed the major companies to change up their retail presence and custom services. Back in 2014, when I went to my local Hockey Giant, they didn't offer custom skate fitment as they couldn't guarantee they could get a rep to show up. This past April, I went back (now Pure Hockey), and they offered custom fitments from Bauer and CCM on the spot. 

I personally think the true skate at retail is one of the worst things ever most stores I’ve seen or heard from hardly sell any. Most parents tend to want to buy a skate with “growing room” wether that is correct or not is not the point but that is what they want. You don’t buy a growing kid a “custom” fit skate. Most parents or even men’s leaguers also don’t look at thier kids or themesleves and think “man I’m gonna need skates in 6 weeks I should go ahead and order and pay now” most people only buy skates out of nessicity once they need them just like sticks. That does exclude pros and most people here which is why true has had some success with pros and higher end customers but as a general whole it’s a very flawed plan. Even then I find the skate heavy and bulky and would only ever consider it if I had a bad foot abnormality other brands didn’t fit me right for. As far as I’m aware that was VH’s entire business plan to help find a solution for people who couldn’t comfortably wear off the shelf that needed a solution, not to try and out sell any other brand and offer custom to everyone. Because of true now trying to push it so much you are also getting a very limited “custom” skate compared to what VH produced early on, essentially a team custom or my bauer version of a skate

I don't think anyone will argue that True custom skates aren't for growing children nor should be they marketed as such. Understandably, the skates will not be for everyone, but it's at least an option to an ever shrinking skate manufacturing pool (Reebok/Easton bought up, Graf floating on fumes, and Verbero has been relatively quiet and either won't offer/has pulled away from custom skates). Leaving only 2 custom options: Bauer and CCM. On that note, I'm curious to see how True has taken over from VH. Whether these skates will go the way of the Easton Mako or continue where VH left off.

You mentioned the skate was relatively heavy, but they (VH) seem to be within reason: 

Mako Right (850g)

VH Gen 1 (870g)

VH Gen 2 (950g -- with integrated shot blockers)

True (??? will measure when I receive them)

Vapor 1X (est 800g)

Supreme (est 800g)

Jetspeed (est 800g)

Super Tacks (about 840g)

Also, when I asked two LHS, they stated they were selling anywhere from 1-3 pairs per week.

But, I guess time will tell whether or not True can offer what VH was producing.

#13715 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:54 PM

What is "fitment?"

#13716 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

What is "fitment?"

Messen deine Füße (not quite Dutch, but I'm sure you can understand the meaning in German)

#13717 60PlusWinger

60PlusWinger

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

This past April, I went back (now Pure Hockey), and they offered custom fitments from Bauer and CCM on the spot.

I DARE you to have one of those retail reps fit you for custom skates. See what shows up and how it works out for you. Just because custom options are presented and a rep is present doesn’t mean you’re getting what you need or want. I know a lot of reps and I wouldn’t trust them with filling out forms properly let alone fitting me. My last pair of customs only ran me $700.00 because even though I made what I wanted clear as day (my 3rd pair) the guy didnt even know what could or couldn’t be done but said whatever I wanted to hear even after 10+ “are you sure? Because I don’t think they will do that” from me and dammit I was right. Not gonna name names but this wasn’t even a retail rep. They chopped $200 off my bill for screwing up after submitting an order, ignoring changes after 3 weeks, scrapping my
First pair of skates that was ordered only to start a new pair and push my order out an additional month+

#13718 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:15 PM

@everyone

TL;DR

#13719 90Style10Skill

90Style10Skill

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:19 PM

@everyone

TL;DR

"TRUE skates are really good and even NHL pros are switching."

"TRUE skates are overrated and are not making an impact in the NHL."

"Bauer should let us waste our money any way we want on custom sticks so we can have super OCD stick specs."

"Bauer isn't going to clog up their pro stick production line to accommodate the 2 people who would buy full custom sticks."

Custom everything.

#13720 Dishmaster

Dishmaster

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:11 PM

Since this thread is starting to derail a bit..

I noticed Dominic Simon’s stick doesn’t have his name on the name plate in game 5. It looked like a team stock stick you buy from your LHS that just said P90. I wonder why an NHL player wouldn’t have customs...