Photo

Blackedge Runners

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Bush League

Bush League
  • LocationWasaga Beach

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

Wondering if anyone on here has used blackedge runners in the past. My local store has a sale going on and these are at a decent price when compared to other stores on the net. I wondered if there was a real advantage because I don't see any pros currently wearing them (I may be wrong). The advertisement on YouTube is pretty convincing but it is an advertisement there fore it should be. Not very many decent reviews on these out there that I can find.
Anybody try them ?

#2 topsnipe

topsnipe
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

Chris Kelly from the Boston Bruins uses them:

#3 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

Chris Kelly is not using BlackEdge steel in that video. The Boston equipment manager buys Step steel and coats the steel himself.

Blackedge is a great steel, but if you can wait a month or so, the new coated (both titanium and carbon options) Step steel will be available at the retail level. I've used both and IMO the Step steel uses a better quality steel under the coating, which gives you even more performance on the ice (less drag, more bite).

#4 Bush League

Bush League
  • LocationWasaga Beach

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

What's step steel cost ? If you guys felt that much of a difference then I'm going to do it for sure. I just switched to APX and after playing hockey for almost 30 years just got my skates profiled for the first time. Not joking.
Made a huge difference.

#5 cott1

cott1

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Chris Kelly is not using BlackEdge steel in that video. The Boston equipment manager buys Step steel and coats the steel himself.

Blackedge is a great steel, but if you can wait a month or so, the new coated (both titanium and carbon options) Step steel will be available at the retail level. I've used both and IMO the Step steel uses a better quality steel under the coating, which gives you even more performance on the ice (less drag, more bite).

other than the obvious what are the differences in the titanium vs carbon coating options?
Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

Click here to leave feedback Cott1 *NEW* Feedback Profile
Click here to view past feedback thread Cott1 *OLD* Feedback Thread

#6 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

I just wondered a set for my wife, everyone that\s used them told me they were great and offered a lot of bite and you had to sharpen less often.
Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#7 Bush League

Bush League
  • LocationWasaga Beach

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

I'll price out both and go with the best deal. Can step steel come in black ? I think the black edge runners look bad ass.
Only thing better would be gold, like the Tack runners I rocked as a kid !
So sick, but sooooo junk.

#8 topsnipe

topsnipe
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:42 AM

Anyone switch from Bauer's Fusion Steel to Step? Differences?

#9 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

I'll price out both and go with the best deal. Can step steel come in black ? I think the black edge runners look bad ass.
Only thing better would be gold, like the Tack runners I rocked as a kid !
So sick, but sooooo junk.

Ask and you shell receive.....

Posted Image

The top ones are the new TiSS, which is Titanium with a Velocity bottom. I've been skating on these for the last 2 months or so. While they don't quite have the same glide or bite as the Titanium coated (gold steel on the bottom) they are super light. They also flex a little more, which gives you a kick feeling coming out of hard turns kind of similar to custom+ holders.

The Titanium coated Step steel are still my favorites though. Excellent glide and bite, IMO better that Blackedge and every other steel I've tried (Velocity, Fusion, LS3, LS2, etc). From what I understand these will be out in a month or so a long with their carbon (black) coated steel, which I have yet to try.

#10 Bush League

Bush League
  • LocationWasaga Beach

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:09 AM

Hahaha Gold blades ! I gotta have em, step it is.
Really appreciate all the reviews and info there fellas. It makes total sense to go with step.

#11 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

Both titanium and gold are made by Step Steel?
Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#12 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Yes, the gold blades are titanium coated velocity steel. I'be been testing them for a months. Best steel on the market (soon to be) IMO.

#13 bob11

bob11

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yes, the gold blades are titanium coated velocity steel. I'be been testing them for a months. Best steel on the market (soon to be) IMO.

So is that Step's version of blackedge?

#14 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Yes and no Bob. They have two coated models, the titanium and the carbon (black) as well. Step's coated steels are their high quality velocity steel with the added coating. Blackedge has the coating, but they use a lesser quality steel underneath.

#15 Bush League

Bush League
  • LocationWasaga Beach

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

Malc, really appreciate all the info and overall knowledge you shared. Do you know where I will be able to get my hands on those gold titanium ?
I think I've pretty much ruled out the black edge.

#16 romdj

romdj
  • LocationBrussels, Belgium

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

Malc, really appreciate all the info and overall knowledge you shared. Do you know where I will be able to get my hands on those gold titanium ?

same here, I'd be interested in where to buy these!

#17 cott1

cott1

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

what are the main differences...actual and selling points, between the titanium gold and black carbon?
Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

Click here to leave feedback Cott1 *NEW* Feedback Profile
Click here to view past feedback thread Cott1 *OLD* Feedback Thread

#18 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

Cott- That I couldn't tell you, since I haven't tried the carbon coated Step steel. I'll ask my contact at Step and see if he can explain? I would really like to try the carbon coated steel as well, to see/ feel the differences for myself. Right now I'm using the TiSS (fusion) steel) which I've been pleasantly surprised with. They're about 30 grams lighter (per steel) than the Titanium coated versions and flex really nicely coming out of hard turns/ stops which gives you a nice springy/ pop feeling kind of like Custom+ holders.

I don't have a final retail release date on the coated steel, but I do know that both the coated and TiSS steel were shown at the professional equipment managers conference earlier this year and that Jimmy (on MSH, who runs a store in NJ) said that they should be available for him to buy in about a month. I don't know how true the latter is, but fingers crossed they're good to go before the season starts.

#19 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

I'm assuming the same retailers that sell Step products currently. I'm not sure on any specific stores unfortunately.

#20 maverick72

maverick72

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

Humm i'm in the market for new blades but haven't seen anything new from Step.... Haven't seen the TI-SS or any gold plated blades :D

Would love a refresher of whats available :)