Photo

Altered Gear

• Please log in to reply
767 replies to this topic

#621 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:13 PM

So I wasn't paying attention and bought a goalie cut jersey... can anyone give me advice on how to go about to tailoring it to fit like a player jersey

I did it for two of my jerseys. It's not easy and takes a lot of time.

Things you'll need:

- Player jersey for reference

- Seam ripper

- Sewing machine 

- Sewing serger

- Pins/clips for holding material together

- Fabric pen (pick a color that will show up) -- these are non permanent and will be removed by water/washing the jersey

- Ruler

- Rotary cutter

- Rotary mat

Hardest way:

- Seam rip the jersey (around hand opening, around arms at shoulder, down the inside arms/down lateral body seam and lastly the lower jersey opening -- I didn't touch the upper front chest/back seams that hold the neck and shoulder area together since the neck area had a rather complicated fold) 

- Use reference player jersey to measure length and width of arms, upper shoulder and chest/back pieces (mark out measurements with a fabric pen and ruler)

- Cut arms, chest/back piece, and top of shoulders to length using rotary cutter

- Use the sewing serger along any exposed edges to prevent fraying 

- Pin/clip the jersey back together

- Use the sewing machine and sew everything back the way it was by sewing along the bottom of the serge seam

Mediumest way:

- Use reference player jersey to measure length and width of arms and chest/back piece (mark out measurements with a fabric pen/ruler)

- Use the rotary cutters and cut the bottom of the jersey to match the length of the reference jersey

- Use the sewing serger and start sewing down the left hand opening/down arm and down the lateral body following the new measurements (right side will be in reverse: start at bottom of jersey, go up lateral seam, then up the inside arm and end at hand opening) -- this is a one-chance go since the serger cuts off any excess fabric, so make sure your measurements are accurate and your sewing skills are solid; also, there's a chance the machine will get jammed if the material is too thick.

- Serge the bottom front chest and the back jersey pieces separately

- Fold the front chest piece and back piece bottoms back on to itself (about ½" - ¾"), pin the folds then use the sewing machine to sew it back together (don't sew the front/back piece as one piece, otherwise, you'll have a beautify jersey sack)

Easiest way:

- Take it a tailor.

3XL to "Smedium" (done the hardest way -- upper shoulder seam falls at correct spot, but neck area will be a bit wide/long)

IkLqNua.jpg

L to "Smedium" (done the mediumest way -- the upper shoulder seam will fall lower down arm, but doesn't interfere with movement, and neck area will be wide/long)

BMR3FKb.jpg

#622 cjprit

cjprit
  • LocationHampton Roads

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

Things you'll need:

- Player jersey for reference

- Seam ripper

- Sewing machine 

- Sewing serger

- Pins/clips for holding material together

- Fabric pen (pick a color that will show up) -- these are non permanent and will be removed by water/washing the jersey

- Ruler

- Rotary cutter

- Rotary mat

Hardest way:

- Seam rip the jersey (around hand opening, around arms at shoulder, down the inside arms/down lateral body seam and lastly the lower jersey opening -- I didn't touch the upper front chest/back seams that hold the neck and shoulder area together since the neck area had a rather complicated fold) 

- Use reference player jersey to measure length and width of arms, upper shoulder and chest/back pieces (mark out measurements with a fabric pen and ruler)

- Cut arms, chest/back piece, and top of shoulders to length using rotary cutter

- Use the sewing serger along any exposed edges to prevent fraying 

- Pin/clip the jersey back together

- Use the sewing machine and sew everything back the way it was by sewing along the bottom of the serge seam

Mediumest way:

- Use reference player jersey to measure length and width of arms and chest/back piece (mark out measurements with a fabric pen/ruler)

- Use the rotary cutters and cut the bottom of the jersey to match the length of the reference jersey

- Use the sewing serger and start sewing down the left hand opening/down arm and down the lateral body following the new measurements (right side will be in reverse: start at bottom of jersey, go up lateral seam, then up the inside arm and end at hand opening) -- this is a one-chance go since the serger cuts off any excess fabric, so make sure your measurements are accurate and your sewing skills are solid; also, there's a chance the machine will get jammed if the material is too thick.

- Serge the bottom front chest and the back jersey pieces separately

- Fold the front chest piece and back piece bottoms back on to itself (about ½" - ¾"), pin the folds then use the sewing machine to sew it back together (don't sew the front/back piece as one piece, otherwise, you'll have a beautify jersey sack)

Easiest way:

- Take it a tailor.

3XL to "Smedium" (done the hardest way -- upper shoulder seam falls at correct spot, but neck area will be a bit wide/long)

IkLqNua.jpg

L to "Smedium" (done the mediumest way -- the upper shoulder seam will fall lower down arm, but doesn't interfere with movement, and neck area will be wide/long)

BMR3FKb.jpg

Thanks for the response! looks like I have some items to acquire to make the alteration. Hopefully I'll have pics soon 

IG:craigjprit

#623 turbo66

turbo66

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:41 PM

Good stuff. I had a jersey arrive once that turned out to be way to small in the belly and arms. I ended up having the sides cut out of it (also the sleeves), added extra material and sewn back together  to make it the right size. Took a wile but good result and saved the jersey!

Also, sweet slash guards man!

#624 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:12 AM

Good stuff. I had a jersey arrive once that turned out to be way to small in the belly and arms. I ended up having the sides cut out of it (also the sleeves), added extra material and sewn back together  to make it the right size. Took a wile but good result and saved the jersey!

Also, sweet slash guards man!

You should share some pictures of your jersey mod. Curious to see how it came out.

Thanks for noticing! The slash guards were initially added via Velcro, but that wasn't a long term solution as the glue used to hold the Velcro to the elbow liner came off rather quickly -- within a month. I stumbled upon Ovi's setup (1, 2) and realized sewing would the best avenue. To this day, not sure why he prefers it on top rather than underneath (over seems much more restrictive to glove movement). Anyway, so far, they've held up great since hand sewing them on through the elbow's binding and through the Velcro's inner most seam line on the slash guards:

5t9dN2t.jpg

#625 Dirtydangles87

Dirtydangles87

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:50 PM

Has anyone done any altering to their 9k girdles? I hate the compression shorts that come with it. Was thinking of the best way to remove all that while keeping everything else fairly intact. I do not care about the Velcro sock holders. I want all that gone. Any advice?

#626 afrozenpond

afrozenpond
  • LocationUtica, NY

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:11 PM

Has anyone done any altering to their 9k girdles? I hate the compression shorts that come with it. Was thinking of the best way to remove all that while keeping everything else fairly intact. I do not care about the Velcro sock holders. I want all that gone. Any advice?

Using a seam ripper I removed all the velcro attachments. I then bought a garter, cut the straps and sewed them on top of the leggings.

#627 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:41 AM

IkLqNua.jpg

BMR3FKb.jpg

you don't find that too tight / fitted?

I usually like a little room in my jerseys, not too much but you gotta have some of that floaty'ness if you know what i'm saying, that's just me though. 

In my opinion i think your jersey might been too tight around the torso area, when you're bending over to skate / shoot or whatever i could see the jersey riding up then getting stuck over the top of the pant. 

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#628 Dirtydangles87

Dirtydangles87

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:31 PM

Using a seam ripper I removed all the velcro attachments. I then bought a garter, cut the straps and sewed them on top of the leggings.

#629 Dirtydangles87

Dirtydangles87

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:10 PM

I'm
More talking about the compression shorts that come with the 9k girdle. I dislike them a lot. I was wondering if anyone has altered those? The only thing I was debating was cutting them out completely and then adding the garter straps. Makes sense?

#630 mwallner

mwallner
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:06 PM

there have been posts about this before

Added garter straps to a 9K girdle.

I'm
More talking about the compression shorts that come with the 9k girdle. I dislike them a lot. I was wondering if anyone has altered those? The only thing I was debating was cutting them out completely and then adding the garter straps. Makes sense?

#631 mwallner

mwallner
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

I'm

people have sold some altered 9ks with garters in the past as well. not sure if they have completely removed the liner though.

#632 Gswift

Gswift

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:12 PM

Decided to try my hand at sewing after picking up a retail Nexus Shell, so I made cut up some velcro bits:
gallery_9135_1257_906209.jpg

Sewed them into little straps: 
gallery_9135_1257_1676872.jpg

Sewed them onto the shell:
gallery_9135_1257_985540.jpg

Here's how it turned out:
gallery_9135_1257_691239.jpg

#633 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:44 PM

you don't find that too tight / fitted?

In my opinion i think your jersey might been too tight around the torso area, when you're bending over to skate / shoot or whatever i could see the jersey riding up then getting stuck over the top of the pant. 

I like a nice tight fit. Hasn't bothered me at all. As for the fit, it does a throw back to the Owen Nolan 90's, where it tends do something like this (tucks in the back, doesn't hang much in the front):

90s-col-rw-owen-nolan-que.jpg

ha7apEN.jpg

#634 Moose

Moose

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:04 PM

I remember Nolan, at least in his San Jose days, would cut a slit in his pants to tuck and slide the jersey into

#635 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

No cuff HG97.

med_gallery_669_1242_1568652.jpg

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#636 Bosik

Bosik

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:45 PM

I had a problem when 13 in shins are too small and 14 in somehow uncomfortable. So I cut the extra padding inside my shin guards for like 1 inch. They fit much better with tongue inside. Not the cleanest job but anyways this part of shins get worn out quickly.  See before and after

a85457c58dd4.png

a13214e9eff1.jpg

636f80d050ca.jpg

it looked odd, but i still grabbed a pair...

#637 mc88

mc88
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:35 AM

I had a problem when 13 in shins are too small and 14 in somehow uncomfortable. So I cut the extra padding inside my shin guards for like 1 inch. They fit much better with tongue inside. Not the cleanest job but anyways this part of shins get worn out quickly.  See before and after

636f80d050ca.jpg

Now buy some black nylon binding and hand-sew that bitch back up! 

#638 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:44 PM

Added my Baby Girl's monogram to some CPR custom Bauers using heat press vinyl. Came out better than expected.

med_gallery_669_1242_280511.jpg

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#639 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:34 AM

Nice! Let us know if it holds up to sweaty wrists.

#640 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:48 PM

nice touch. :y

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116