Photo

Altered Gear

• Please log in to reply
764 replies to this topic

#681 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 18 April 2021 - 09:26 AM

http://www.sports2k....4-1ac0616a27ff/

Really like this! Had thought about doing the same with FT1 uppers, but using the curve composite forearm guard from the Bauer 2x pro

#682 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 19 April 2021 - 01:56 AM

http://www.sports2k....4-1ac0616a27ff/

thats a great idea I want a better bicep guard on my jofa pads but have no idea how to go about this. Looks awesome

#683 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:45 AM

Anybody ever dye the logo embroidery on a pair of Bauer gloves? I have a pair of Jets nxgs that I wanted to turn into oilers alts by dying the thread orange. Any recs on how to go about this?

#684 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 28 May 2021 - 09:23 PM

Anyone here have experience swapping bicep guards? I have. A pair of jofa 9135 and don’t like the bicep guard at all but love the bottom piece. I’ve bought a 9044 and want to possibly swap bicep guards as my lower portion is much newer looking. How do I go about doing this? it has to be a thick needle and thread and I don’t have an industrial machine

#685 Kovey10

Kovey10
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 May 2021 - 09:32 PM

Anyone here have experience swapping bicep guards? I have. A pair of jofa 9135 and don’t like the bicep guard at all but love the bottom piece. I’ve bought a 9044 and want to possibly swap bicep guards as my lower portion is much newer looking. How do I go about doing this? it has to be a thick needle and thread and I don’t have an industrial machine

My last pair of shoulder pads from my playing days were made up of parts from 3 or 4 different pairs of shoulder pads. A "Speedy Stitcher" sewing awl makes modifications a bit easier. 

#686 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 29 May 2021 - 09:58 PM

My last pair of shoulder pads from my playing days were made up of parts from 3 or 4 different pairs of shoulder pads. A "Speedy Stitcher" sewing awl makes modifications a bit easier.

im def looking at getting one. I’m just not sure where to cut or where to attach to if you know what I’m saying. I really don’t want to ruin my pads. Jofa stuff is harder to find and my obsession lol. I’ll have to wait until I get the pair in the mail.

#687 bluhmd

bluhmd
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 May 2021 - 07:02 AM

You don't have cut it directly off. Look where the arm guard is attached at the seam on the elbow cap. Cut the stitches or use a seam ripper on the back of the elbow cap and the old one will come right out. Then, simply use the speedy stitch to attach the new one. Had to do this to one elbow on my 7ks. Just be careful not to do damage to the foam on the elbow cap. I also have a old pair of Louisville elbows that I completely moded out and put Jofa arm guards on. Same premise. Word of caution, the speedy stitcher does not discriminate between the material and your hands...

#688 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 30 May 2021 - 09:03 PM

You don't have cut it directly off. Look where the arm guard is attached at the seam on the elbow cap. Cut the stitches or use a seam ripper on the back of the elbow cap and the old one will come right out. Then, simply use the speedy stitch to attach the new one. Had to do this to one elbow on my 7ks. Just be careful not to do damage to the foam on the elbow cap. I also have a old pair of Louisville elbows that I completely moded out and put Jofa arm guards on. Same premise. Word of caution, the speedy stitcher does not discriminate between the material and your hands...

thank you for your feedback. And I could see how bad that thing would hurt. I watched a How to video

#689 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 23 July 2021 - 03:11 PM

Any garter users ever lengthen socks? I got a pair of socks that are maybe 1-2” too short for my garters. Was thinking about simply sewing a patch onto the front and rear to give me something to clip onto but figured I’d see if anyone had a different solution

#690 Chow_hound

Chow_hound

Posted 25 July 2021 - 03:12 PM

The tabs work. I’ve found that using some 2” Velcro and essentially clamping the sock between the pieces and then stitching the Velcro in a box shape with an X through the middle makes a very solid tab and also a strong material for the garter to grab onto. Depends if your garter is clip type or the button style though.

#691 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 26 July 2021 - 05:13 PM

The tabs work. I’ve found that using some 2” Velcro and essentially clamping the sock between the pieces and then stitching the Velcro in a box shape with an X through the middle makes a very solid tab and also a strong material for the garter to grab onto. Depends if your garter is clip type or the button style though.

Thanks for the idea! Used some scrap fabric and velcro to make tab extensions. These will work out perfectly and I don't have to worry about messing up the socks themselves.

1627337267260-vi.jpg

#692 Chow_hound

Chow_hound

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:32 PM

Awesome. Looks great!

#693 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 July 2021 - 08:31 PM

I added junior caps to my Alpha DX shoulder pads for a more low-profile fit. The junior caps are identical to the senior ones, just smaller and less bulky. I also removed the bottom of the bicep pads since they interfered with my elbow pads. No more linebacker pads. 

IMG-0823.jpg

I'll be stitching the senior DX caps on my friend's shoulder pads, as he plays contact and needed to upgrade his caps. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#694 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 29 July 2021 - 01:24 PM

I added junior caps to my Alpha DX shoulder pads for a more low-profile fit. The junior caps are identical to the senior ones, just smaller and less bulky. I also removed the bottom of the bicep pads since they interfered with my elbow pads. No more linebacker pads. 

IMG-0823.jpg

I'll be stitching the senior DX caps on my friend's shoulder pads, as he plays contact and needed to upgrade his caps. 

Nice! I'm thinking about doing something similar with my Reebok 20K's.

#695 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 08 August 2021 - 07:11 PM

You should! The 20k caps are massive and the bodies would look/feel great with some new caps. 

More Frankenpads for my buddy: 5030 body, Alpha DX shoulder caps & bicep guards. 

franken.jpg

#696 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 08 August 2021 - 07:39 PM

Sick!

#697 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 09 August 2021 - 04:59 AM

very cool combo!

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#698 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 25 October 2021 - 06:54 PM

Another pair of Frankenpad low-profile beer league shoulder pads, this time for me. I love my Crazy Light U+ shoulder pads, but am not the biggest fan of the shoulder caps and bicep pads. The shoulder caps are big (I don't play contact hockey) and the bicep caps move/flop around a bit. In addition to my regular pair, I had a pair that I purchased from the Sharks sale many years ago and used the hell out of, so I decided to turn it into a project. The body was in okay shape but the clavicle pads, shoulder caps, and bicep caps were thrashed. I luckily found a pair of lightly used junior U+ CL shoulders at Play It Again for $20 and added the Sherwood 5030 bicep pads from my previous project, which are light but most importantly, fit snugly and stay in place.

I used Padskinz nylon repair (highly recommended) to fix the rips, tears, and holes. I sewed everything together on the machine except for stitching the bicep pads to the shoulder caps with a speedy stitcher. I'll be using all the spare U+ foam pieces for various other projects, including slash guards. 

The parts for these Frankenpads are:

-Senior Crazy Light body - in good shape, especially after patching some holes. The caps and other parts will be recycled for other projects. 

-Junior Crazy Light - caps, clavicle guards, and extra velcro. The bicep pads are way too small and will be turned into slash guards. The body will be recycled for other projects. 

-Sherwood 5030 bicep pads - already owned from my last project.

I started by removing all the pieces from both pairs. I first trimmed the stretched-out elastic on the body and added more velcro on the underside so I could have them fit snugly to my body. I sewed the junior clavicle guards onto the senior body, which don't cover as much area but still cover my clavicle and shoulder blades. They don't flop around like the senior ones do, especially after the velcro stretches out. I then took the bicep caps, attached some nylon suspender material through the loops, then stitched the nylon to the pads. This keeps the caps snug, but allows for movement with my shoulders. This is similar to how the Sherwood 5030 caps are attached, but with less movement. I added a few stitches from the clavicle guards into the shoulder caps to keep them from twisting too much. The final step was stitching the bicep pads to the shoulder caps with the speedy stitcher sewing awl since it was too thick for my machine. 

Before:

EtRkZ6Pl.jpeg

After: 

franken.png

I can't wait to test these out. They feel great at home under a jersey. Next shoulder pad project: adding 5030 shoulder caps with removable snaps to a pair of Farrells. 

#699 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 28 November 2021 - 05:40 PM

I purchased these U+ Crazy Light elbow pads at Play It Again for $12.99. The straps and elbow donut pads were thrashed, but the shells were in moderately good shape, minus a few rips. After washing and sanitizing the pads, I sewed up the rips and covered them with Padskinz nylon repair, removed the old straps, and sewed on new straps in a traditional 3-strap style. I recycled the stretched-out top straps and sewed them onto the bottom, then used the straps from the junior CL shoulder pads (see previous post) for the top and middle straps. I left out the elbow donut pads and now they're even lighter and more mobile than my regular "gamer" U+ CL elbow pads.

Both these and the shoulder pads are lighter and less bulky after the mods. I only play stick and puck these days and most rinks require full pads, so the goal is to have the lightest and least-intrusive pad setup possible. I was using some 3K/XTK pads from 2014, but these are even better.

v7rPLgI.jpg

XWGBKv6.jpg

8jcJAkI.jpg

#700 daveski7

daveski7
  • LocationWorcester

Posted 28 November 2021 - 05:51 PM

Nice work Jake, loved both the CLs and have RBZs now for that specific reason, Lousy straps. Lightest protective available both elbows and shoulders