Photo

Altered Gear

• Please log in to reply
767 replies to this topic

#701 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:02 PM

Awesome work! I’ve never used the elbows but the CL shoulder pads are unreal. Love the mods you’ve done

My donor pair of super tacks are coming this week hopefully to attempt fix my old jofa elbows old bicep guard.

#702 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:42 PM

Wow, impressive work! I’ve always wanted to combine parts from a few elbow pads to make what I think would be the ‘perfect’ pair, but don’t think I have the ability. Well that and I haven’t found donors cheap enough to make it worthwhile

#703 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 29 November 2021 - 03:41 PM

I purchased these U+ Crazy Light elbow pads at Play It Again for $12.99. The straps and elbow donut pads were thrashed, but the shells were in moderately good shape, minus a few rips. After washing and sanitizing the pads, I sewed up the rips and covered them with Padskinz, removed the old straps, and sewed on new straps in a traditional 3-strap style. I recycled the stretched-out top straps and sewed them onto the bottom, then used the straps from the junior CL shoulder pads (see previous post) for the top and middle straps. I left out the elbow donut pads and now they're even lighter and more mobile than my regular "gamer" U+ CL elbow pads.

Both these and the shoulder pads are lighter and less bulky after the mods. I only play stick and puck these days and most rinks require full pads, so the goal is to have the lightest and least-intrusive pad setup possible. I was using some 3K/XTK pads from 2014, but these are even better.

IMG-2535.jpg

IMG-2536.jpg

IMG-2537.jpg

I'd love to see how they came out, but the links are down. 

#704 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 29 November 2021 - 04:00 PM

Pictures fixed. Thanks for the comments everyone!

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#705 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 01 December 2021 - 03:07 AM

Wow, impressive work! I’ve always wanted to combine parts from a few elbow pads to make what I think would be the ‘perfect’ pair, but don’t think I have the ability. Well that and I haven’t found donors cheap enough to make it worthwhile

That made me curious—what would your perfect Frankenstein elbow pad be made of? Which parts from which pads?

#706 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:54 AM

That made me curious—what would your perfect Frankenstein elbow pad be made of? Which parts from which pads?

I’d like to *think* the upper and elbow pocket from my current CCM Quicklites, the forearm piece from Bauer 2x Pro, and the sleeve from Warrior DX for good measure. I love my CCM elbows, but the 2x pro forearm wrap/protection was unreal. Downside was the rest of that pad was garbage (for me). The sleeve of the DX worked way better than the one on STX’s RX3, but the overall pad was too bulky for me. If I could find a pair of cheap 2x pros I’d probably try making it

#707 flip12

flip12
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:00 AM

I’d like to *think* the upper and elbow pocket from my current CCM Quicklites, the forearm piece from Bauer 2x Pro, and the sleeve from Warrior DX for good measure. I love my CCM elbows, but the 2x pro forearm wrap/protection was unreal. Downside was the rest of that pad was garbage (for me). The sleeve of the DX worked way better than the one on STX’s RX3, but the overall pad was too bulky for me. If I could find a pair of cheap 2x pros I’d probably try making it

Sounds like a cool project. I hope you find that pair and make your Frankenpads. I'd love to see how it comes out and hear how it compares to all the stock elbows you've tried.

#708 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 10 December 2021 - 03:55 AM

https://www.instagra...edium=copy_link

Fixed my old jofa elbow pads with a super tacks bicep guard. I hope it holds. May need more stitching.

#709 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:09 AM

Nice work! It looks solid from the pictures, but if it does come apart, you may want to go over it a second time with a speedy stitcher and black waxed thread. That stuff is indestructible and great for spots that the machine can't reach. 

#710 Tucker17

Tucker17

Posted 12 December 2021 - 11:39 AM

Nice work! It looks solid from the pictures, but if it does come apart, you may want to go over it a second time with a speedy stitcher and black waxed thread. That stuff is indestructible and great for spots that the machine can't reach.

thanks for the feedback. I have heard great things about those speedy stitchers. I just used a thick needle and upholstery thread. I’m trying them out tonight in a game.

#711 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 05 January 2022 - 07:12 PM

I needed a pouch to hold my steel runners and couldn't find one for 6 sets, so I decided to build my own. It's designed specifically for 6 sets of size 263 Edge steel. It's far from perfect, but does the job. It's designed to sit in my skate room, so I decided to make it simple with no velcro closure. I may add a grommet later so I can hang it up. The previous material was from a 4orte Evansville Icemen bag that was pretty torn up, but had lots of good material left.

bUTp2xO.jpg

DqxAtgq.jpg

#712 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 06 January 2022 - 05:57 AM

well done! I use the Howie's pouch :)

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#713 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 10 April 2022 - 06:21 PM

I was going to order a custom shell from Warrior, but it ended up being $120 + shipping with a 6-month wait. In addition, they only make custom pant shells and I wear girdles/prefer the fit of girdle shells. I decided to make my own girdle shell for half the cost. I found a cheap Coyotes shell on SLS, removed the stripes, then sewed them over the black stripes on this retail CCM Jetspeed shell. The logo is an iron-on from Stick Bandits and seems like it'll hold up well. The large shell fits nicely on my medium Tackla Breezer girdle.

38bH16d.jpg

#714 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 10 April 2022 - 07:41 PM

That's sick Jake, love the logo

#715 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 11 April 2022 - 05:05 AM

Great work!

Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#716 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 23 April 2022 - 03:42 PM

The 5030 shoulder caps are very protective and low-profile, but a bit too much in comparison to the body. The 5030 body is very lightweight and fits perfectly otherwise. The CCM 1899 shoulder caps are super light and low-profile, but the body is awkward, uncomfortable, and fits me terribly. The U+ CL are my favorite overall pads that I've owned for many years, but as many of you know, the shoulder caps and bicep pads are bulky and take up a ton of space under any jersey. I originally swapped them out with smaller caps from a pair of junior-sized U+ CL's, but those weren't very comfortable and the bicep pads were still a bit stiff. The solution?

RBmaPU5.jpg

In addition, I sewed the clavicle pads of the U+CL tighter so they didn't ride up move around, which is common once the elastic stretches out. I also added some poron foam (thanks Mdwsta4) around the chest of the 5030's for some extra comfort and protection. 

#717 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 23 April 2022 - 11:19 PM

Glad the poron was of some use to you! Wonder if adult small CL shoulder caps would work better for medium or large sized pads if you were to swap them?

#718 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 24 April 2022 - 02:16 AM

Glad the poron was of some use to you! Wonder if adult small CL shoulder caps would work better for medium or large sized pads if you were to swap them?

Thanks, I used the poron in both my helmets and shoulder pads. If you ever get more sheets, feel free to let me know as I'd like to add some more to my pads.

I believe all senior CCM U+ CL caps are the same size, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I acquired a pair of junior large CL shoulder pads and I was able to sew those caps onto the senior body and bicep pads, but they didn't feel right to me. They felt like they were floating on top of my shoulders too much instead of cupping over them. The 5030 caps and bicep pads are a perfect match for the CL body IMO. 

#719 xstartxtodayx

xstartxtodayx
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 April 2022 - 09:29 AM

Thanks, I used the poron in both my helmets and shoulder pads. If you ever get more sheets, feel free to let me know as I'd like to add some more to my pads.

I believe all senior CCM U+ CL caps are the same size, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I acquired a pair of junior large CL shoulder pads and I was able to sew those caps onto the senior body and bicep pads, but they didn't feel right to me. They felt like they were floating on top of my shoulders too much instead of cupping over them. The 5030 caps and bicep pads are a perfect match for the CL body IMO. 

I had a similar issue with my CL's and the shoulder caps feeling too large, I ended up swapping my old RBZ130 caps on to them since they wrapped more front and back rather than sitting up high, so far so good.

- Jon

#720 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 29 July 2022 - 10:35 PM

Two new pairs of CCM U+ CL Frankenpads - one with CCM 1899 shoulder caps, one with Super Tacks AS1 shoulder caps. Keeping both of these. 

3h7Eiaz.png

ni3IHpJ.png