Photo

Altered Gear

• Please log in to reply
767 replies to this topic

#721 xstartxtodayx

xstartxtodayx
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 December 2022 - 12:05 PM

Been trying to find just the right shoulder pads for a while and I think this mashup is finally what I'm looking for.  I'm between a small and a medium in most pads, the small Ultra Tacks fit well after stretching the neck but the shoulder caps were too square, were too narrowly attached width wise for my body and were kind of short front to back making it look like I had a hanger in my jersey since it was boxy and narrow from the side, just an odd look.  I then found a pair of medium 20k's, these were a tad too big in the body but I loved the way the shoulder caps wrapped down rather than sitting high.  Next was a pair of medium Ultra Tacks, the body was ok but a little on the big side, the shoulder caps were mjcy better than the small pair but still sat high away from the shoulders and had a boxy'ish shape.  So yesterday I had some time and decided to swap the 20K caps that I liked on to the small Ultra Tacks pads and I'm loving how they fit me now.  The 20K caps aren't as thick as the Tacks caps and they wrap more allowing them to sit lower.  I sewed on part from an old knee brace which has a velcro side, I then attached some hook velcro to the tab on the caps so I can fine tune how they sit (I may just sew them directly on but for now they're on there really well).  

52576088928_b330a08fed_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

52576008010_5432c2ced5_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

52575553701_86f72d0d1b_c.jpgUntitled by Jon Schusteritsch, on Flickr

- Jon

#722 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 20 December 2022 - 07:00 PM

Nice work! The RBZ 130 elastic straps really add to the "Frankenpad" aesthetic. Once you find the best position for the caps, you will probably want to sew them on, speaking from personal experience. The velcro tends to loosen up and cause some annoying movement during play. 

"What is your lowest/best price?" is NOT an offer. 

#723 xstartxtodayx

xstartxtodayx

Posted 20 December 2022 - 08:59 PM

Nice work! The RBZ 130 elastic straps really add to the "Frankenpad" aesthetic. Once you find the best position for the caps, you will probably want to sew them on, speaking from personal experience. The velcro tends to loosen up and cause some annoying movement during play. 

Thanks!  Yea I forgot about the 130 straps, the old ones were stretched and the velcro tab was shot so I had these from an old pair of pads I previously hacked apart.

- Jon

#724 Mimizk

Mimizk

Posted 29 December 2022 - 10:32 AM

I've made a little, additional update on my modified Easton Mako M5 shin guards.
Cut off the masked area to move the edge of the outer shell to the inside of the liner material.

before

52593637406_4a2dc868df_b.jpg

after

52594031425_2ab3ed4d32_b.jpg

#725 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 30 March 2023 - 10:00 AM

Has anyone swapped cuffs themselves before? I know CPR does it but obviously can’t send stuff out to them. Should be pretty straightforward so maybe a cobbler or someone with a more industrial sewing machine? Looking for suggestions if ya got em

#726 KidCoyote

KidCoyote
  • LocationBrantford, ON

Posted 30 March 2023 - 10:30 AM

I’ve done by hand with simple needle and thread and it turned out pretty well. I wouldn’t recommend doing it though. I did it out of necessity because I bought a pair that had one of the cuffs detached.

#727 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 30 March 2023 - 12:24 PM

PSB pro services does it and so does that place in St. Louis.

#728 xstartxtodayx

xstartxtodayx

Posted 30 March 2023 - 01:24 PM

ITR probably does it but if you have a local shoe repair place still (I know they're few and far between now) I'd stop in and see what they say, you never know, some of those older guys can do a lot.

- Jon

#729 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 30 March 2023 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping for a local solution rather than shipping out two pairs of gloves. I’ll give a few cobblers a shot before reaching out to hockey specific companies outside of the state

#730 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 30 March 2023 - 04:13 PM

A baseball repair guy might be able to do this as well, o6f he's set up right for it

#731 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 30 March 2023 - 04:14 PM

Anyone with a long armed cylinder walking foot machine should be able to swap cuffs.

I recently purchased two sets of 8K Pro shins with the knee flaps cut off. One also had the top flaps cut off as well. I removed the knee flaps, added new binding, then sewed them back on to give them a cleaner look. 

Pair #1: https://www.instagra.../p/CqEjJYFPNDu/

Pair #2 sides: https://www.instagra.../p/CqT3K-mPpxl/

Pair #2 top: https://www.instagra.../p/CqW9nI0ue_A/

#732 nicnok

nicnok
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 03 April 2023 - 11:39 AM

Anyone with a long armed cylinder walking foot machine should be able to swap cuffs.

I recently purchased two sets of 8K Pro shins with the knee flaps cut off. One also had the top flaps cut off as well. I removed the knee flaps, added new binding, then sewed them back on to give them a cleaner look. 

Pair #1: https://www.instagra.../p/CqEjJYFPNDu/

Pair #2 sides: https://www.instagra.../p/CqT3K-mPpxl/

Pair #2 top: https://www.instagra.../p/CqW9nI0ue_A/

Nice work!

#733 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 01 May 2023 - 02:18 PM

The season is over and my shop has slowed down, so I decided to work on a bunch of personal projects, including cuff roll swaps, Frankenpads, and other various mods. 

Cuff roll swaps between Warrior QRE gloves. Pair 1: Coyotes with Avs RR white/maroon cuff rolls. Pair 2: Newfoundland Growlers black/gold with all black palms and Coyotes red cuff rolls. Pair 3: EK65 Sharks QRE with black thumb badges and Coyotes cuff rolls. I had way too much fun doing these! If anyone else wants cuff swaps, hit me up - I can do most gloves, as long as they don't have binding around the cuff rolls ie. HG12's.

d52fba0454798d2c_original.jpeg

90eaeeab9fc1d3f2_original.jpeg

I added overlays to the left/top hand on these custom QRE's with funnel cuffs. I had some red nash (not enough for a full palm) lying around from a previous project, so I decided to add these to match another pair I had. I used the a template from another overlay to create these, then used double-sided tape to affix them to the palms. They're removable and won't damage the palms if removed. I'm going to give them a few sessions as-is, then sew them on if I decide to keep them on.

252c4a81bcc072fe_original.jpeg

c0ba06360fd28163_original.jpeg

Cuff roll swap for Miller55, adding these Bauer Kings cuff rolls on an older pair of Eastons:

7e51d10915911103_original.jpeg

A few pairs of U+ CL Frankenpads

38e7187b4513fdd5_original.jpeg

#734 Mdwsta4

Mdwsta4

Posted 01 May 2023 - 04:42 PM

Great work Jake! Red Nash somehow became unobtainium with AX Suede being the only alternative. Been trying to hunt some down for palms/gussets since Covid with no luck

#735 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 01 May 2023 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the swap Jake, came out great

#736 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 01 May 2023 - 05:35 PM

Great work Jake! Red Nash somehow became unobtainium with AX Suede being the only alternative. Been trying to hunt some down for palms/gussets since Covid with no luck

Thanks Matt! I was able to salvage the red nash from a destroyed pair of Franchises that I got on SLS a few years ago. There was just enough material between the two palms to create two overlays and one thumb overlay. I have a very small amount left for patches. 

Thanks for the swap Jake, came out great

You're welcome! It pained me to turn Sharks gloves into Kings gloves, but what is done is done. Those mustang palms are absolute butter. 

#737 Miller55

Miller55

Posted 01 May 2023 - 05:50 PM

Thanks Matt! I was able to salvage the red nash from a destroyed pair of Franchises that I got on SLS a few years ago. There was just enough material between the two palms to create two overlays and one thumb overlay. I have a very small amount left for patches.

You're welcome! It pained me to turn Sharks gloves into Kings gloves, but what is done is done. Those mustang palms are absolute butter.

Lol I figured you wouldn't love that but the screen printing on those sharks gloves was a mess from washing them and I couldn't stand it

#738 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 19 August 2023 - 10:58 PM

I combined an older Coyotes CCM 9K with an Easton shell to create a custom "Easton 9K" girdle shell. I took the top piece and CCM logo from the older shell and attached them to the Easton shell, then finished by sewing on the GGS logo. It fits well on both my Warrior QRE and Bauer NXG girdles. 

cc9951873d0338ea_original.jpeg

7bd6ca6fda12cfac_original.jpeg

#739 Golden Gate Sharpening

Golden Gate Sharpening

Posted 20 September 2023 - 11:59 AM

I did eight cuff swaps and one re-color for ccmcrazylightking, all done by hand with a sewing awl and waxed thread. The Yandle gloves started out as regular black/white Flyers gloves, then I recolored the logos to gold (Flyers 3rd/WC) using permanent alcohol-based markers that are designed for embroidery. 

b907b0f98686e3e9_original.jpeg

#740 markov94

markov94
  • LocationSarnia Ont,...then Lakeland FLA....then back to Sarnia

Posted 20 September 2023 - 04:03 PM

I did eight cuff swaps and one re-color for ccmcrazylightking, all done by hand with a sewing awl and waxed thread. 

b907b0f98686e3e9_original.jpeg

Wow...I saw a couple what a wonder collection and of course great work....