Photo

Why buy only to sell 2 days later?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Why buy only to sell 2 days later? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think it is okay to resell pro stock gear for double the price you paid?

1. YES (22 votes [55.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

2. NO (18 votes [45.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 btell

btell

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:04 AM

I have a question that might be a sensitive topic to some but I think it's pretty relevant topic so let's talk. I know some people buy gear to collect and some buy to wear. I personally am the later of the two and I don't always believe pro products are the way to go. For example I can order a pair of pants or gloves from Warrior that come off the same production line as what the NHL teams get. On the flip side if I were to purchase say Bauer or Reebok pants I would only look for pro stock as there is a big difference in the product.

Over the past couple days I have witnessed multiple forum members purchase pro stock products only to turn around and put them up for sale in the classifieds or on eBay. While I have no problem with reselling these people are asking 1.5-3x as much as what they paid. WTF? I won't mention any names or post any links to sales but why not resell the product for what you paid or at the very least a 'reasonable price'? Seems like everyone is out to finance their next Easton RS stick!

I might be in the minority on this one but why screw the guy who really could have used the pants or gloves? Sure you can say well I didn't like the fit but in some cases that's nothing but an excuse!

#2 dharris

dharris

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

Capitalism at it's finest..while I don't believe it's proper to price gouge other members of THIS forum. If you think you can make a few bucks on eBay or where ever,be my guest..don't buy an item at a inflated price if this practice bothers you:) I try to sell for what I paid for an item, unless it's super rare..Just my worthless two cents!

#3 easttide

easttide

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:08 AM

Capitalism. Who cares what they do with it if you get the price you want (not that I have done that with anything from here)?

#4 Kovy71

Kovy71
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:35 AM

Welcome to America! I truly sell products that I find to be able to acquire other gear and just be able to participate in the sport. My job would have never allowed me, financially, to purchase the equipment I have. I hang on to a core group of gear and then sell or trade to keep the addiction going. Also, there are folks overseas that have an incredibly hard time finding pro gear from NHL teams and are extremely thankful for having the opportunity to purchase gear. Who you should be chastising is the teams. When you can go to an Anaheim sale and buy socks for $1 and skates for under $100 and then go to Montreal or Toronto and guys are paying $200+ for sticks and $175+ for gloves.

#5 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Capitalism at it's finest..while I don't believe it's proper to price gouge other members of THIS forum. If you think you can make a few bucks on eBay or where ever,be my guest..don't buy an item at a inflated price if this practice bothers you:) I try to sell for what I paid for an item, unless it's super rare..Just my worthless two cents!

Thats what I also think.
Ive seen some items go up on ebay and be like WTF?!?
Some people will try to sell for way too much, but most of the time they wont sell.

I personnally always start my auctions at the price I paid for the item, just to get my money back. If it sells a lot higher, that's even better :LOL: , I use this extra money to buy more gear. :censored:
Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#6 ShaunJ13

ShaunJ13
  • LocationCali

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:18 AM

This question is for btell. If you had a connection with a team and could get top of the line gear for the fraction of the cost would you jump on here and sell us pro stock warrior gloves for $50? or a nearly new pair of pants for $60?

The majority of people on here sell gear to fund new gear. If they got a deal on something why should they be forced to pass it along? If you stick around you'll come to learn that most guys on here are all great and reasonable guys and in many ways our collections are like a business and sometimes you have to make a little money back to add more to the collection.

#7 Brian

Brian

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

I've been selling my Thrashers gear to people here for pretty cheap. I don't need to make a huge profit. I'm more interested in hooking members up with good stuff at a cheap price.

I start my ebay stuff at a low price as well. If it goes up a lot, great. If it doesn't, that's ok.

Should we all get mad at the prices the "pro stock dealers" charge for their stuff. How big of a profit are they making on each pair of gloves that they sell at $125? How about the sticks? How about the pants?
They are making money.... why would private sellers be different?

#8 Yetso

Yetso
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

Things like this are why I avoid selling and mostly trade. However, when I do sell, I tend to sell on the forums for as much as I paid, or less depending on use. On ebay however, I list things for a bit higher. Either way things tend to be priced to move as I only buy when I get great deals.
Phrasing people! Phrasing!!!

#9 1stOverall

1stOverall

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

Items are only worth what someone is willing to pay. Although i think it would be wrong if you worked out a deal with someone on here for a lower price than listed only to turn around and double it on a ebay listing. Just my 3 cents

#10 Kovey10

Kovey10
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

I tend to buy a lot of gear each week. Some of it I keep and some of it I sell. My intentions are to keep every single piece of gear that comes through my door, but it doesn't always work out that way. When I sell the gear I don't plan on keeping I do so at a reasonable price, usually what I paid for the gear. Just like anything with something being rare or highly sought after it brings a higher price. I've bought sticks for $30 and sold them for $100, is that wrong? I feel that selling a stick for $100 to someone is giving them a good deal regardless of what I paid. The way I look at is if you were to walk into a pro shop and buy skates or a stick of anything. You pay retail value of it. Sticker price. It would be nice to pay cost on everything, but it doesn't work that way. I do feel like eBay has quite a few people on there lately selling at ridiculous prices, but that's there loss. If you're willing to spend a lot, they're willing to charge a lot. Business 101, supply and demand.

And I am not saying people should run a business on this forum trying to make a living, but so far I don't see anyone doing that.

#11 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

I personally based asking prices in rarity and my attachment to the item, for example I have an oilers royal and orange orange pant shell I got from dupes and while I only got it for $70 and it's probably only worth that I wouldn't sell it for less that $175 not only because it's my favorite shell I own and that's the amount it would take me to be ok with losing that but I also haven't seen another single for sale ever. If someone is gonna be ok spending that then I'll have to be ok letting it go but otherwise it's gonna stay right here with me and I'm plenty ok with that

#12 Brian

Brian

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

If somebody on a forum hooks up another forum member and then he resells it for much more soon after, that IS messed up.

#13 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

If somebody on a forum hooks up another forum member and then he resells it for much more soon after, that IS messed up.

I agree and Ive seen this happen a couple times.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#14 ShaunJ13

ShaunJ13
  • LocationCali

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:27 PM

Ya that's a whole different story and another can of worms

#15 Brian

Brian

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

Thought it might be in the same can. I'm not sure. I haven't bought any canned worms in a while.

:)

#16 kevin92285

kevin92285

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

Isn't that part of the purpose of the feedback thread?

#17 btell

btell

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

This question is for btell. If you had a connection with a team and could get top of the line gear for the fraction of the cost would you jump on here and sell us pro stock warrior gloves for $50? or a nearly new pair of pants for $60?

The majority of people on here sell gear to fund new gear. If they got a deal on something why should they be forced to pass it along? If you stick around you'll come to learn that most guys on here are all great and reasonable guys and in many ways our collections are like a business and sometimes you have to make a little money back to add more to the collection.

Shaun that is an easy one for me to answer. I can go buy brand new pro stock Bauer pants (Supreme and X:60) for $125 any day of the week but you don't see me doing that and turning around asking $200 for them. I'm also very fortunate in that the local pro shop I get my stuff from always gives me a very generous discount on 95% of the stuff I purchase. Still you won't see me taking advantage of them by turning around and selling items. On the flip side of that I have taken a number of friends with me and hooked them up at that same shop. I guess I come from a different school of thought where I think about others first and myself second. What I mean by that is if I don't plan on using that piece of gear I'm not going to buy it! I'd rather someone else put XYZ piece of equipment to use than try to hoard it just to have it. And that's not a shot at anyone that collects! Again my topic of discussion in the people that buy something Monday and by Wednesday it's up of eBay for twice what I KNOW they paid for it.

#18 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

Again my topic of discussion in the people that buy something Monday and by Wednesday it's up of eBay for twice what I KNOW they paid for it.

I agree with you on this one. I dont like seeing that either, but when someone does this, he is most likely taken off my list of people I deal with.

#19 ShaunJ13

ShaunJ13
  • LocationCali

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

Shaun that is an easy one for me to answer. I can go buy brand new pro stock Bauer pants (Supreme and X:60) for $125 any day of the week but you don't see me doing that and turning around asking $200 for them. I'm also very fortunate in that the local pro shop I get my stuff from always gives me a very generous discount on 95% of the stuff I purchase. Still you won't see me taking advantage of them by turning around and selling items. On the flip side of that I have taken a number of friends with me and hooked them up at that same shop. I guess I come from a different school of thought where I think about others first and myself second. What I mean by that is if I don't plan on using that piece of gear I'm not going to buy it! I'd rather someone else put XYZ piece of equipment to use than try to hoard it just to have it. And that's not a shot at anyone that collects! Again my topic of discussion in the people that buy something Monday and by Wednesday it's up of eBay for twice what I KNOW they paid for it.

I guess the "school" you come from also makes hasty assumptions that because someone lists something they bought for more than what they paid that they don't care about others. People on this forum will vouch that I have gone out of my way for many of them because I to, think of others and try to help as many people as I can. But I also come from the "school" of opportunity, which tells me if I can get something at a low price and make a few bucks at fair market value than I will.

Back to your topic of discussion though. You said it yourself, "I KNOW they paid for it." You emphasized KNOW however you should put this emphasis on THEY PAID. You didn't so they can do whatever they want with what THEY PAID for. If you don't like it don't buy it.

#20 steamers11

steamers11
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

This has not been a money making hobby for me. There have been times i've lost money on gear and times I've sold on Ebay and made some money. I start an auction looking to get out at least even. If someone wants it enough to pay a premium that is their choice. I have bought on Ebay gear that I know was too high but it was something I wanted and was willing to pay. I buy everything with the idea of wearing it. Like most guys here you buy something then realize you find something else you want. I think almost everyone on this site has been very fair. Something very rare should have more value than something readily available. I think someone trying to make big profit on turning something around is more the exception. The main thing is we all get a chance to own some pretty great gear.