Beer!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gymmonster_*

Guest_Gymmonster_*

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Although I realize it is illegal to ship beer I was wondering if anyone would be willing to send me some from the states. I am willing to pay extra and will take the risk that customs seizes it.

I am looking specifically for Dogfish Head 60/90/120 minute IPA. It is impossible to get here in Vancouver.

I have some very rare Driftwood 2012/2013 Singularity Russian Imperial Stout to trade as well if that sweetens the deal.

#2 Lunchbox4

Lunchbox4
  • LocationSt. John's, Newfoundland

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

sure if your in Vancouver, why don't you just drive to Washington state....

#3 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

underage

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#4 GuitarAwesome

GuitarAwesome
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

And if customs seizes it, then won't just throw it away, you could get in some trouble. Not worth it.

#5 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'll bring you some to the tourney, just remind me around the 1st of April... I haven't looked into it, but if there's the possibility of customs seizing it then I may have to reconsider...
:dunno:

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#6 GuitarAwesome

GuitarAwesome
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

You'll be here for more than three days, so you can bring 24 bottles at the minimum. And they almost never search a car coming in. If they do, they'll make you pay tax on it (which I will pay), that's all. It's just very illegal to send alcohol through the mail as it's a) a controlled substance, and b)considered volatile.

#7 Guest_Gymmonster_*

Guest_Gymmonster_*

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Uh I'm pretty sure I'm older than you thinkingjack.

With regards to driving down and buying it myself,
I can't drive down to Washington and bring it
Back without staying a minimum of 48 hours in the states
Before its duty free. The tax and duty is quite heavy as
I've paid it a few years ago when I bought liquor at the duty free and brought it back.

As per CBSA rules a visitor to Canada can bring 8.5 litres of beer for personal use duty free. It's ok I found someone that comes to Vancouver regularly from Oregon to bring some up and trade with me so this thread
Can be shut down.

#8 GuitarAwesome

GuitarAwesome
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

The tax and duty isn't that high on beer. Maybe spirits is different, but I got about 200$ worth of beer in Vermont a few weeks ago, and declared it, and the duties/tax were 30$. Was only there like 3 hours too. And Quebec has the highest friggin tax ever

#9 Guest_Gymmonster_*

Guest_Gymmonster_*

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Did you stay over night or down and back up all in one day?

I had a mixture of liquor and beer, was purchasing for my friend's wedding and we were taxed quite heavily but it still was cheaper than buying in Canada. We brought back a substantial amount though. Usually when I pick up my parcels from point Roberts ill bring back a
Six pack of Sierra Nevada or Kona Porter but dogfish head is nt available at the boarder lying towns on the west coast.

Quebec - la fin du monde!!!!!!! Although I actually enjoy the ephemere....

#10 GuitarAwesome

GuitarAwesome
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Back up in the same day (purpose was just to buy beer). Maybe they felt like being nice, cause I thought ti would be much higher...
I'm a sucker for Dogfish too, I've had their 120 through a live randall filter.....that will change your LIFE.
There is always, ALWAYS, ephemere in my fridge. Love it.

#11 Guest_Gymmonster_*

Guest_Gymmonster_*

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I've never had the 120, have been on the look every time I go to Seattle for a while now. I'm definitely jealous of you! So many good breweries in the east that You have easy access too.

Ever have a hill-farmstead double ipa? That's on my wish list too

#12 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

All this beer talk!! Better show me the good shit when Im up there!

Extremely into IPAs and Stouts

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#13 GuitarAwesome

GuitarAwesome
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

I'll show you the best we have to offer Grizz!! I'll bring you a 6er of St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, it's won stout of the year several times, and has had a perfect score of 100 for several years. It's pretty awesome. IPAs are my jam, but there arent many good ones in Canada, thus why I'm getting Mincy to bring me a bunch haha

#14 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Cant wait!

NHL teams could care less that you want a pair of brand new Warrior Luxe/Franchise custom thumb loop super custom digi toilet paper soft palm with double added reinforced custom Warrior logo backhand padding gloves or a 17 flex double kreps curve upside down toe hook stick from your fav player/team. -Bakes

#3k gsdhead.gif

#15 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

I'm also looking forward to seeing what you guys have north of the border. A hockey buddy of mine introduced me to Alexander Keith's a while ago, needless to say I'm bringing some back. If my foot is no bueno by tourney time then I'm loading my bag with beer!

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#16 GuitarAwesome

GuitarAwesome
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Good man! Keith's isn't up there for me, but I'll put together some interesting stuff for ya :up:

#17 Guest_Gymmonster_*

Guest_Gymmonster_*

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

Keith's isn't up there for me but its a good after hockey beer.

I'm not sure if you guys get driftwood breweries stuff out east but if you do the Singularity Russian Imperial and Fat Tug ipa are must tries. I enjoy very hoppy ipas and higher alcohol content stouts/porters and both rate very
High on ratebeer and beer advocate.

I've had the st Ambrose oatmeal stout, definitely in my top 5!

If you have a chance try Old Engine Oil from the UK very very good porter
But at $7 per bottle here in Vancouver it's very pricy.

Rounding out my top picks are
Howe Sound Brewing Pot Hole Filler Imperial Stout
trappistes rochefort 8 and 10
Old Rasputin imperial stout
Brooklyn black chocolate stout
Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Deschutes obsidian stout
Red Racer IPA
Red Racer Extra Special Bitters
Fuellers London Porter

Wow I went of topic...

#18 Grizzly

Grizzly
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Cant go wrong with Deschutes Black Butte. Picked myself up a sixer of that a while back. Very enjoyable porter

#3k gsdhead.gif

#19 Guest_Gymmonster_*

Guest_Gymmonster_*

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

You guys are so lucky, the black butte is around $7 at the Walmart by the premium outlet outside of Seattle, always grab one when I go down. However on the rare occasion that you find it up here in Vancouver it is $20 for a 6 pack before tax...

#20 jparks66

jparks66

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

gymmonster i grab 12 beer everytime i go to get gas in point roberts and ive never had a problem