Skate/Foot Protection

Shot blockers. Skate fenders. Carbon fiber. Spats. skate armour

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

After sustaining a foot injury I have been researching different companies who specialize in added skate protection. Personally, I have not used any of these but I do plan on choosing one and reporting back with my thoughts. If you have used any of these brands please share your experience on this thread so others can make whatever choice sounds best for them. Thanks in advance, and here is what I have found...

Skate Fenders
http://www.skatefend...andard_p_8.html
I have read some good reviews on these and some NHL teams do use them. The one complaint I hear is that the Velcro straps are weak/not strong enough and will more than likely need to be replaced.

Shot Blockers
http://www.shotblock...d=3&pageid=1002
Another brand used in the pros. The price point is a little higher but there are several different zones or configurations of protection that you can choose. They look heavy duty, but may have some gaps in coverage.

Spats Skate Armour
http://www.spats.ca/
The lowest in price though they look to offer similar protection as the rest. The fastening system looks a little skeptical for comfort and functionality though I would like to see these firsthand.

After Hours Composite Works - Carbon Fiber Skate Guards
http://www.afterhour...kateguards.html
By far the nicest looking ones out there in my opinion, but they are also the most expensive. The design looks like most of its competitors though you can go full custom for a good bit more $$$. These even have a "laces" option for aesthetics(as worn by some NHLers).

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#2 skleiner1

skleiner1
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

Skate Fenders and the Shot Blockers, I believe XT lite? By far are the most used in junior hockey (maybe the NHL?) and NCAA/CIS.

From friends/teammates of mine who use the skate fenders they say the velcro has it's best life by just keeping them dry.

The Shot Blockers are the best for specific protection in a given area so if you know where you're hurting then definitely worth the money. I have 3 girls on my team with these as they're coming off injuries in specific areas on the foot. The fenders are by far the most durable and give overall protection to your whole foot and you can get them relatively cheap so that's probably the best in my opinion.

Can't really comment on them myself but just from talking to friends and teammates I get the vibe that the fenders are the best if you're blocking shots constantly (or just want full protection) and blockers for specific areas where you might be hurt and don't want to take a puck there
Instagram - Sports2K
- skleiner
Twitter - @Sports2K
- @skleiner1

#3 Beer leaguer

Beer leaguer

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

Pro series clear in spats look nice as far they go!

#4 Too Old

Too Old
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

Been pleased with the Skate Fenders. I got them after having surgery to install a plate/4 screws due to a broken left fibula. I wanted some protection for the ankle area and they did the job. I still wear them at times and it seems when I don't those are the games where I take a shot off the side of the foot, argh.

#5 FATPHILLY

FATPHILLY
  • LocationThe Big City

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

I got some from the flyers. Believe they were prongers,maybe used them in practice. This is site is on the straps of the frenders. http://www.c6armor.com/
ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY TEAM USA AND FLYERS GEAR..AND ANYTHING ELSE RARE

#6 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

I decided to go with the Skate Fenders Pro. I don't think the pros actually use the 'Pro" model. The standard/cheaper model is the clear style that I see guys in the NHL wear, not the bluish purple tinted ones. After staring at these for a little bit I got tired of looking at the color of them (should have gotten the lower ones, but oh well), and asked my friend if he could hit them with some paint. We kicked around some ideas and came up with this...

7E1A1A62-BFE8-40FC-97DA-53E47972B58C-355

Personally I like the new look more than the purple :LOL: . If any of you have a pair you want painted PM me.

#7 GuitarAwesome

GuitarAwesome
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

That is so cool looking. Chirp worthy, but very nice paint job.

#8 dirtysouthgentleman

dirtysouthgentleman

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

painted on the outside or inside?

#9 FATPHILLY

FATPHILLY
  • LocationThe Big City

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

I like the look

#10 FATPHILLY

FATPHILLY
  • LocationThe Big City

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Did u look into the ones I put up? Wondering how much they run.

#11 Hab4life

Hab4life
  • LocationSurrey BC Canada

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

I like the look of these when painted, you could even paint them in your uni's colorway and put them in the "Do You Match" thread. :y

#12 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

painted on the outside or inside?

Out.

Yeah, I'll get chirped, but I can handle it ;)

Yeah Philly, those were pretty bad-A, but I never heard back from their salesperson. I just went ahead and bought locally.

#13 dirtysouthgentleman

dirtysouthgentleman

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

ill be interested to see how the paint holds up - i wore one skate fender after i took a shot that broke a bone in my foot, and it got scratched up pretty good

they do look cool - dont worry about the chirps

#14 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, I'm interested to see how it holds up too. Since I'm going to use these with 9K's I had to Dremel them down around the pump quite a bit so they would fit... which is probably a good idea if you have pump skates. I'll keep this thread posted on how they do over time. Also, just bought a speedy stitcher, I'm going to attach leather straps like the ones on goalie pads on them. The velcro looked like a pain in the ass.

#15 liveevil

liveevil

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:24 AM

Nice paint job and thanks for the updates. Been thinking real hard about getting some and this definitely helps!

#16 skleiner1

skleiner1
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

There are a pair on ebay for $60 I don't know what they normally go for just if people are interested :)

Oh and those look awesome

Instagram - Sports2K
- skleiner
Twitter - @Sports2K
- @skleiner1

#17 WindyCity

WindyCity
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Boston Bruins segment on skate fendes custom made

http://bruins.nhl.co...nav-teamnav-bos

#18 Michael Crandall

Michael Crandall

Posted 16 April 2016 - 04:47 PM

What did you paint those with?

#19 nashsports

nashsports

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:02 PM

We (nash sports) have a custom Skate Wrap that you mold yourself in your oven and custom fit it to your skate. They're very affordable and lighter. They're worn by several pro teams.

#20 crabby

crabby
  • LocationAustria

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

We (nash sports) have a custom Skate Wrap that you mold yourself in your oven and custom fit it to your skate. They're very affordable and lighter. They're worn by several pro teams.

What's the price for them? Can't see it in my phone...
LF
CCM TACKS 80 flex LH Kreps
Purple or green gloves
purple practice jersey