Photo

Frankenpads anyone?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 underworldeagle

underworldeagle
  • LocationMontreal, Qc

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

anyone ever have a little fun and customize your gear to get it just the way you like?
so far i use shoulder pads where the main part is pre-canadian tire winnwell, mission biceps, and jofa caps.

#2 Kovey10

Kovey10
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

I've added slash gaurds to my Rbk elbows, by cutting a a pair of 5030 elbow pads apart. I've also cut off the caps from Bauer Flak shoulders and stitched on caps from older Coopers.

#3 Mikepell33

Mikepell33
  • LocationMilton, ON

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

The only way I could get a pair of shoulder pads I like was to make some frankenpads. I used the sher-wood 5300 body and used bicep guards and caps from a pair of warrior koncept. I LOVE the way they feel and look. Everyone asks where I got them. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

#4 twistoffate19

twistoffate19
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

I'm thinking about taking the caps off of my old Itechs and putting them on my 5030 Sherwood pads. Took a spill the other night, and wouldn't mind a bigger cap for some extra protection.

Items for Sale Picture Album Found Here: http://imgur.com/a/JufvE

Always on the hunt for Doughty sticks

#5 underworldeagle

underworldeagle
  • LocationMontreal, Qc

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

The only way I could get a pair of shoulder pads I like was to make some frankenpads. I used the sher-wood 5300 body and used bicep guards and caps from a pair of warrior koncept. I LOVE the way they feel and look. Everyone asks where I got them. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

awesome!

#6 Mikepell33

Mikepell33
  • LocationMilton, ON

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:58 PM

Here are some pics of my shouldies I was talking about. Hope these work since this is the first time I'm posting pics on here... And my mistake the body is made with Sher-Wood 5030's.

My link

#7 ShaunJ13

ShaunJ13
  • LocationCali

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:58 AM

Nice I like that,

#8 theflash0000

theflash0000

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:35 AM

anyone ever have a little fun and customize your gear to get it just the way you like?
so far i use shoulder pads where the main part is pre-canadian tire winnwell, mission biceps, and jofa caps.

I made these a while back:

Posted Image

I absolutely love them for beer league.

Check out The Hockey Locker Podcast!

Episode 7 of The Hockey Locker Podcast is now live! We discuss the latest gear news and releases, including the Bauer MX3 stick and we talk about how to deal with a hockey injury from both a mental and physical perspective. Download here! 

http://hockeylockerp....wordpress.com/

Twitter: @Hockey_Locker

hockeylockerpodcast@gmail.com

#9 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

I've played around with making several pairs of franken shoulder pads. I've used Sherwood bodies with Eagle caps, I've used Warrior Projekt bodies with Sherwood caps and I've used a Jofa body and removed the huge caps and switched them with the Sherwoods.

I'm always trying to find something low profile, protective enough for beer league and very mobile. The Projekt body with the Sherwood caps is pretty nice. Good torso protection, with low profile caps.

I also stitched a pair of Reebok caps to the shoulder padding that comes on the Down Low Shoulder pads. That worked out pretty well too.

#10 Lefticious

Lefticious

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:03 PM

Here are some pics of my shouldies I was talking about. Hope these work since this is the first time I'm posting pics on here... And my mistake the body is made with Sher-Wood 5030's.

My link

Nice! Thats like brad Richards

#11 Grammer

Grammer
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

So I'm going to embark on this. A member here os sending me a pair of biceps pads from a pair of Jofas and I'm going to try to find a way to attach them to my Farrells. Any tips? I don't have a sewing machine or any particular abilities in that area, but I can always manage a needle and thread. So yeah. What the heck am I supposed to do?

#12 underworldeagle

underworldeagle
  • LocationMontreal, Qc

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

dont underestimate the effectiveness of strategically placed velcro

#13 Mikepell33

Mikepell33
  • LocationMilton, ON

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

So I'm going to embark on this. A member here os sending me a pair of biceps pads from a pair of Jofas and I'm going to try to find a way to attach them to my Farrells. Any tips? I don't have a sewing machine or any particular abilities in that area, but I can always manage a needle and thread. So yeah. What the heck am I supposed to do?

When I was embarking on my pair of frankenpads I originally asked my mom to help me out since she is great with a sewing machine. However she was doubtful that she had the equipment to do a good job. So I ended up going to a local tailor who had an industrial sewing machine. I had to explain in great detail what I was hoping to accomplish, but after a little instruction and $40 I had my frankenpads. I look at the stitching and it looks like they came right from the manufacturer. I'm sure it can be done at home if you have good knowledge of needle and thread, but if you trust someone with an industrial machine I suggest going that route. Hope that helps.

#14 Grammer

Grammer
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

Good tips. Thanks. I'll post a picture when I get this business sorted.

#15 theflash0000

theflash0000

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

This is what you need: http://www.speedystitcher.com/

Its really easy to use, once you know the technique (many YouTube videos out there). I have done a TON of mods on my gear with this thing. Never had a stitch fail, either. Best $10 I have ever spent.

Episode 7 of The Hockey Locker Podcast is now live! We discuss the latest gear news and releases, including the Bauer MX3 stick and we talk about how to deal with a hockey injury from both a mental and physical perspective. Download here! 

#16 Grammer

Grammer
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

This isn't really frankenpads (I'll post those later) but it's some DIY business that I did. I chopped the slash guards off of my Jofa 9177s. It left a rough-ish edge, so today, when my new Speedy Stitcher arrived, I wrapped the navy trim from the extended slash guards around the rough edge and I went to work. This is the result:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Admittedly it's not a factory job, but it's solid as anything and I'm super psyched with my new toy.

#17 theflash0000

theflash0000

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

This isn't really frankenpads (I'll post those later) but it's some DIY business that I did. I chopped the slash guards off of my Jofa 9177s. It left a rough-ish edge, so today, when my new Speedy Stitcher arrived, I wrapped the navy trim from the extended slash guards around the rough edge and I went to work. This is the result:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Admittedly it's not a factory job, but it's solid as anything and I'm super psyched with my new toy.

Great work!

#18 theflash0000

theflash0000

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

Well, I went back to the lab again...

Got a pair of CCM U+Pros. Very nice and lightweight, but the caps and the extra-beefy collarbone protectors were waaaay too much bulk for me. Ripped those off and sewed on the 5030 caps (SpeedyStitcher, of course). Added an extra piece of elastic to anchor them to the backpiece (not visible in pic). Very happy with them. Rock solid protection on the chest and back and plenty of low-profile mobility on the arms/shoulders.

Posted Image

I honestly think the hockey companies should start selling modular shoulderpads, i.e., separate chest/back vests, shoulder caps, and bicep protectors. I've found that a customized shoulderpad setup is just as important to me as proper skate fit.

#19 Grammer

Grammer
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Plus customizing your gear yourself is just plain cool.

#20 Gr8erade

Gr8erade

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

A couple of frankenpads I stitched together.