Photo

How do u clean your skates?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

I bought new apx skates in December. At the same time I bought something called a maxxdry boot dryer. It works great, when I get home I take all my equipment out to air dry and I toss the skates on this dryer and plug it and leave it over night. It's been close to 4 month and I just started noticing my skates are smelling a little, not anything crazy.

For my normal equipment I either fill the laundry sink up with water and wash my elbows as shins, lately I've been lazy so about once every couple months I take my elbows and shinners and toss them into my local coin laundry so i dont mess up my own machine and for 3 bucks they come out clean then I just hang dry them.

What I'm wondering is what u guys do to clean your skates?

Is it as simple as putting them in soapy water and just letting the skate soak for a bit then rinsing with clean water. Or is it something more complicated and stuff I should watch out for.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#2 Kovey10

Kovey10
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

I would never ever let my skates soak in soapy water and then rinse them out. That is possibly the worst thing you could do to your skates.

Take the insoles out as soon as you're done skating, unlace the skates (3 eyelets or so), pull the tongues out, and air them out up upside down.

You want the skate to get as dry as possible so shit doesn't start to break down prematurely.

#3 Bleafer

Bleafer
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

I just take the footbed out and spray everything with anti-bacterial/microbial febreze and hang the skates upside down by the holders.

For Sale:

#4 Obscene19

Obscene19
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Dry them after the game so they don't rust. Air them out when you get home. Never had a problem with smell or anything else. Soaking them would ruin them. Your dryer makes them smell because it's hot air drying them. Air dry is the best.

Hockey is Life. The rest is just details.

"Trade Steve Yzerman? That's like asking me if I want to trade my son Jason for the kid next door."

—Jacques Demers

#5 thinkingjack

thinkingjack
  • LocationTempe, AZ

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

If you will actually wash them?

Spray them with warm or hot water. Add a little anti bacterial soap. hang them upside down to dry.

But always remove the footbeds, and air them dry, i also suggest putting a fan on them to push the air in and out

Feel free to check out my hockey reviews, or random stuff

#6 Lunchbox4

Lunchbox4
  • LocationSt. John's, Newfoundland

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

I bought new apx skates in December. At the same time I bought something called a maxxdry boot dryer. It works great, when I get home I take all my equipment out to air dry and I toss the skates on this dryer and plug it and leave it over night. It's been close to 4 month and I just started noticing my skates are smelling a little, not anything crazy.
For my normal equipment I either fill the laundry sink up with water and wash my elbows as shins, lately I've been lazy so about once every couple months I take my elbows and shinners and toss them into my local coin laundry so i dont mess up my own machine and for 3 bucks they come out clean then I just hang dry them.
What I'm wondering is what u guys do to clean your skates?
Is it as simple as putting them in soapy water and just letting the skate soak for a bit then rinsing with clean water. Or is it something more complicated and stuff I should watch out for.

Is it just me or does this guy start the weirdest threads? Always these random topics

#7 wrlittle

wrlittle
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

I just take the footbed out and spray everything with anti-bacterial/microbial febreze and hang the skates upside down by the holders.

+1

#8 JBFG

JBFG
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

whipe blade right after skate

Pull foot bed when I get home

spray them with Lysol disinfectant

hang them to dry upside down

#9 Kovey10

Kovey10
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

Throw them in the washing machine.

#10 Huskie94

Huskie94
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:26 AM

Dry them after the game so they don't rust. Air them out when you get home. Never had a problem with smell or anything else. Soaking them would ruin them. Your dryer makes them smell because it's hot air drying them. Air dry is the best.

+1

#11 modny123

modny123
  • LocationHamilton Ontario

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

I just hang em up soles out

forecheck backcheck paycheque

My eBay feedback

@emodny on twitter

@emodny on instagram

Golden Horshoe Dangles Crew

#12 dirtysouthgentleman

dirtysouthgentleman

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

Is it just me or does this guy start the weirdest threads? Always these random topics

+1

#13 theflash0000

theflash0000

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

If you actually need them to be "cleaned", can't skates go into a SaniSport or similar system?

Check out The Hockey Locker Podcast!

Episode 7 of The Hockey Locker Podcast is now live! We discuss the latest gear news and releases, including the Bauer MX3 stick and we talk about how to deal with a hockey injury from both a mental and physical perspective. Download here! 

http://hockeylockerp....wordpress.com/

Twitter: @Hockey_Locker

hockeylockerpodcast@gmail.com

#14 Mincy

Mincy
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Take the insoles out as soon as you're done skating, unlace the skates (3 eyelets or so), pull the tongues out, and air them out upside down.

Exactly what I do.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"  Feedback

#15 Buster_D

Buster_D
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Throw them in the washing machine.

Haha that's great Paul! Lmfao
Pavel Datsyuk Gear or any wings gear!

Feedback- http://www.sports2k..../8903-buster-d/

#16 dirtysouthgentleman

dirtysouthgentleman

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

mine are dry clean only - i also ask for extra starch

#17 Kovey10

Kovey10
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Exactly what I do.

And I bet your skates dry fast, don't smell, don't have rusty rivets, and don't break prematurely, right? I've done this for years and it works perfect.

Haha that's great Paul! Lmfao

With some people you never know...

#18 malcb33

malcb33

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Mine are Dryclean only....

#19 Mapleleafs-13

Mapleleafs-13
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Wow, are u dumb? Do u not understand the function of a forum? If you're not sure of how to do something then you go on forums to seek advice of people that are more knowledgable than you and have been submerged and are more experienced in the topic.

Same thing goes with car, cycling, plane or any other type of forum.

By the way for the people who answered thanks alot for the advice.

Looking for BIOSTEEL jersey made by UA or Adidas.

Looking for Bauer Pro defender elbows size Large

My ebay (better prices for members)

#20 modny123

modny123
  • LocationHamilton Ontario

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

Lol

I hang em upside down.

forecheck backcheck paycheque

My eBay feedback

@emodny on twitter

@emodny on instagram