Photo

Pro Stock Gear Subculture - what is it?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Shark#81

Shark#81
  • LocationSproat Lake

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

There is obviously a lot of activity around these topics. Is Pro Stock game-used equipment sales from NHL teams or is there more to it?

What are the reasons for this genre?

Other than seeing a pair of old Sundin skates on Ebay once or one of our players using leftover Junior sticks, I know nothing.
Latest hockey video:
http://youtu.be/Ncx5fned0ag?hd=1

#2 Brian

Brian

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

So, are you asking why people buy pro stock equipment?

#3 SouthpawTRK

SouthpawTRK

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

Well, I would say that if you are asking why people collect pro stock gear, it can be for a myriad of reasons. I would speculate that people buy pro stock for the following:

1. Collectables: Some people are collectors at heart; whether it's pro stock hockey gear, Hot Wheels, baseball cards, etc..

2. NHL Grade: It's nice to know that you are able to use the same gear that the pros use.

3. The Hunt: I would say that for some, the quest for pro stock gear is almost as much fun as buying it (IMO).

4. Non OTR: Pro stock is not what you find at your LHS (generally); basically it's not OTR (off the rack).

I'm not a big collector of pro stock (I have a few sticks) mainly for the lack of funds, but one day I would love to have some nice gems in my collection.
~B~

#4 shoeshine boy

shoeshine boy
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

I think for me it's #'s 2 and 3.
when I recently scored Toby Enstrom's Warrior AK27 gloves from his Thrasher days it was a HUGE rush.
I also like getting colors and patterns not available at retail.

always looking for non Reebok L & XL shells......

#5 easttide

easttide

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

Better quality gear for me to use- that's about it. It's all just gear to me.

Little bit of the hunt as well, but quite frankly, I'm too impatient so when I figure out something I want to try I get frustrated, buy something I don't need only to buy what I want later.

#6 1stOverall

1stOverall

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

For me i can buy top of the line gear better quality brand new or slightly used for the same price it would cost to buy mid level retail gear. Thats it thats all

#7 uclahockey707

uclahockey707

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Southpaw really summed it up well. For me, it's #1 & #3

I could care less about pro grade gear, doesn't really change the way I play at all, but I love collecting and hunting down stuff. It's becomes a terrible addiction ;-)

#8 Yetso

Yetso
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

I quickly became addicted after my first few items... I wouldn't say its the rush I get from the hunt... More the rush from the kill, when I open that box... Holy crap I feel great... I am insanely addicted but just lack the funds to have the huge collection.
Phrasing people! Phrasing!!!

#9 SPhilly28

SPhilly28
  • LocationHalifax NS

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

For me i can buy top of the line gear better quality brand new or slightly used for the same price it would cost to buy mid level retail gear. Thats it thats all

This is the same for me. I'm tired of Chinese made hockey equipment as well.

#10 - M

- M

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

This is the same for me. I'm tired of Chinese made hockey equipment as well.

Lots of equipment are made in China nowadays... including pro gear.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.

#11 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:52 PM

I personally love pro gear because it looks different then retail and often his better quality.
Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#12 Shark#81

Shark#81
  • LocationSproat Lake

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for the quick rundown. It's what I was looking for. So now you got me going here....frig! i thought some thrashers gloves would be cool because that's our team jerseys. I google "pro stock thrashers gloves" and get an ebay auction by dupes16. bidding ended not a bad deal tho & very nice item.

I think what is cool for skates is that you get a pro stance, contour/rocker, hollow - essentially a tuned skate of a given player. I run my custom designed skate on an 11 foot 1/2 right now but it would be interesting to try someone else's skates for a bit, esp a pro setup.
Latest hockey video:
http://youtu.be/Ncx5fned0ag?hd=1

#13 Brian

Brian

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

Do you have Thrashers pants?

#14 numan

numan
  • LocationDallas

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

For skates I usually prefer pro stocks because I can get double stuff which I prefer greatly over regular skates but for gloves and shells I collect just for all the different color options and choices as well as the quaility compare to retail and the fun of the hunt as everyone else said. But for most other gear I don't care wether its pro stock or not

#15 SPhilly28

SPhilly28
  • LocationHalifax NS

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:31 AM

Lots of equipment are made in China nowadays... including pro gear.

Lots but not all. You can outfit yourself from head to toe with Made in Canada if you try hard enough.

#16 NYIslanders21

NYIslanders21
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:40 AM

In the beginning pro stock stuff to me was more about collecting game used items. My girlfriend picked me up a pair of navy Torpo (Eagle) gloves and the palm are kind falling off but I didn't care. He is my favorite player and I wanted it on my shelf. I then purchased a game used Roloson stick and Moulson Reebok 5-Rolls again to it on my shelf. I started to get the urge to start using some of the gear so I went out and bought a pair of pro stock Islanders gloves and then as I needed new gear I just started buying pro stock stuff instead of retail. It for the most part is cheaper and better quality than retail. I do get excited when I find something great or am able to help someone find something thy have been looking...Also, another reason I love it is because of you guys, the community of guys here, everyone talks and helps out, its a great thing

#17 theflash0000

theflash0000

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

Lots but not all. You can outfit yourself from head to toe with Made in Canada if you try hard enough.

That's a fun game to play... let's see...

Brand New Retail Gear Made in USA or Canada:
Helmet: Cascade M11
Pants: Warrior Hustlers
Skates: Reebok 11k; CCM U+CL; Grafs
Gloves: Warrior Customs (Franchise/Hustler/Creeper); some Eagles
Sticks: Miken; Base; Combat

Shoulders/elbows/shins? Probably could fill in with older/pro stock gear. I think Easton pro elbows are Made in Canada? Good Jofa stuff is Made in Sweden, which is good enough for me :)

Check out The Hockey Locker Podcast!

Episode 7 of The Hockey Locker Podcast is now live! We discuss the latest gear news and releases, including the Bauer MX3 stick and we talk about how to deal with a hockey injury from both a mental and physical perspective. Download here! 

http://hockeylockerp....wordpress.com/

Twitter: @Hockey_Locker

hockeylockerpodcast@gmail.com

#18 warrenmiller11

warrenmiller11

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:55 AM

Yea started on ebay with some pro stock stick. Had the retail mission m-1 stick and bought a pro stock one from ebay whoaaa big difference. Same stick retail one shot always nowhere near the net, pro stock one had me picking corners like my name was joe sakic. Then casualy got skates, mitts helmets and for good price too more often cheaper then retail...lmfao i play with my gear so any advantage i can get ill take it.

#19 Dupes

Dupes

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

I google "pro stock thrashers gloves" and get an ebay auction by dupes16. bidding ended not a bad deal tho & very nice item.

Thats me :LOL:
Follow us: Instagram: http://instagram.com/sports2k_com#
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Stock-Hockey-Sports2Kcom/151010068304116

#20 - M

- M

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

Entirely possible... except for maybe the shoulders, shins and possibly jock unless you have something a bit older like theflash0000 mentioned.

I try to outfit myself in as much North American-made gear as possible too but sometimes I find the quality of equipment made overseas outperforms the ones made domestically.

I used to have two CCM U+ CL sticks (made in Canada) and they were terrible. Both of them had a chunk missing and exposed the foam inside after just one ice time. I've been using some of my Asian made Bauers (Total ONE and ONE95) for much longer and never had this issue.

My favorite pair of gloves right now are my XXXX Pros (made in China and paid $100 for them) while my custom Eagle CP94s (made in Canada and cost $279.99CDN) haven't seen action for almost a year. I also used to own a pair of Eagle X46 (made in Canada by Ferland) and they were terrible gloves.

I understand where you're coming from by buying Canadian whenever you can but in my experiences those goods haven't always been superior to their asian counterparts.

If your bag has wheels, you don't.